first moulds, now evans

bbillsfan87

just sitting thinking about much better moulds could've been if he could've a consistent starter at qb. he put up great numbers but the same thing applies to evans. no consistency......thats why recievers such as harrison (manning), rice (montana and young).

lee evans (bledsoe, losman, holcomb, matthews, edwards) and that doesnt beging to explain how many times quarterbacks were switched on and off during the course of a season. its kinda disheartening to see a guy of evans caliber and talent be held back cuz coaches can't make up their dam minds. it doesnt allow chemistry to be built between a qb and his wr if you keep switching. not that we are now.....just kinda was thinking about it thats all.

thoughts?

Based on passed performance I'm not sure Evans would even be starting for half of the teams in the NFL.

Maybe with TO there now the pressure will be off of Evans and he can produce more this season.

so what your saying basically is that he wouldnt thrive with a brady, manning, rivers, brees, or a rodgers?

please tell me your joking? :rolleyes:

Remember in '05 when the team totally bottomed out? By the 4th quarter all Gus Johnson and Rich Gannon had to talk about was the "Eric Moulds Stat Box."

And it was always something like:

Rich Gannon: You know, Gus, take a look at Eric Moulds' career numbers.

Gus Johnson: Wow, Rich, he's been quite the competitor for a lot of years up here in Buffalo.

Rich Gannon: Thats right Gus, you know he's had 17 different offensive coordinators, 5 different head coaches, 24 different receivers coaches, and 6 different starting quarterbacks in his career?

Gus Johnson: Wow, Rich, I didn't know that! (despite the fact they'd ran this stat at least 10 games in a row.)

Man, I can't wait for the exact same thing with Lee Evans this year.

so what your saying basically is that he wouldnt thrive with a brady, manning, rivers, brees, or a rodgers?

Of course any receiver would do better with a better QB delivering the ball, and better still when that QB had lots of time to throw it. I just haven't seen anything from Evans to date that leads me to believe he is any kind of "elite" receiver. Like I said above, maybe with some help from TO being there this season he will do better.

Of course any receiver would do better with a better QB delivering the ball, and better still when that QB had lots of time to throw it. I just haven't seen anything from Evans to date that leads me to believe he is any kind of "elite" receiver. Like I said above, maybe with some help from TO being there this season he will do better.

well how about the one handed helmet grab last year while keeping his feet in bounds...for a TD? or maybe the fact that he still gets 1000 yds recieving with the inconsistency at QB. Jon Gruden said last night that he believes that Evans is in the Top 3 underrated recievers in this league and could start anywhere else. what else do you need to see to show you that he can be an elite reciever? he can't be "elite" unless he has a QB. but what your saying is that you wanna see him be elite with losman or edwards? not an easy task and he still put up big numbers in the last few yrs.

Yeah that is exactly what he is saying. He is a one trick pony and WAY overpaid. Moulds had the entire package. Unfortunately he also smacked around his women and then got himself traded with his actions.

But from a WR standpoint, Moulds was a good all around WR. Lee isn't.

Yeah that is exactly what he is saying. He is a one trick pony and WAY overpaid. Moulds had the entire package. Unfortunately he also smacked around his women and then got himself traded with his actions.

But from a WR standpoint, Moulds was a good all around WR. Lee isn't.

:rolleyes: how isn't lee an all around good reciever? oh cuz he isn't your prototypical reciever size? :)

well how about the one handed helmet grab last year while keeping his feet in bounds...for a TD? or maybe the fact that he still gets 1000 yds recieving with the inconsistency at QB. Jon Gruden said last night that he believes that Evans is in the Top 3 underrated recievers in this league and could start anywhere else. what else do you need to see to show you that he can be an elite reciever? he can't be "elite" unless he has a QB. but what your saying is that you wanna see him be elite with losman or edwards? not an easy task and he still put up big numbers in the last few yrs.

Touchdowns - Consistent decline from 9 in 2004 to 3 last season.

"Numbers" - Two 1000+ yard seasons in the last 5, including last season. And 2 of the last 3 seasons.

Receiving Yards - Ranked 19th last season.

Average Yards Per Reception - 10th (not bad considering)

Receiving Touchdowns - Tied for 61st

Receiving Yards Per Game - 21st

Are all of those affected by the QB, absolutely.

Not sure I'd call them big numbers, but to each his own.

Oh, and I do have to give him props for not missing a game in the last 5 years. Definitely a iron man. Not so much as a sprained toe :rolleyes:

"Numbers" - Two 1000+ yard seasons in the last 5, including last season. And 2 of the last 3 seasons.

Receiving Yards - Ranked 19th last season.

Average Yards Per Reception - 10th (not bad considering)

Receiving Touchdowns - Tied for 61st

Receiving Yards Per Game - 21st

Are all of those affected by the QB, absolutely.

Not sure I'd call them big numbers, but to each his own.

Oh, and I do have to give him props for not missing a game in the last 5 years. Definitely a iron man. Not so much as a sprained toe :)

agreed :rolleyes:

What is sad is despite the consistent decline, Evans has led the Bills in receiving TDs in each of those five seasons. Doesn't say much for the Bills ability or willingness to pass into the end zone.

Trivia Question (I'd actually be surprised if someone knew it off the top of their head):

Name the last player to lead the Bills in receiving TDs besides Lee Evans in a season?

Hint: it ain't Moulds

:rolleyes: how isn't lee an all around good reciever? oh cuz he isn't your prototypical reciever size? :)

No, the guy doesn't run good routes, isn't consistent, doesn't fight for the ball and has questionable hands. I have seen a few INT's directly Lee's fault. Not fighting for the ball, half assing his routes, and dropping passes.