2005 Bills versus 2009 Bills

BillsVet

TD's final season in Buffalo was his fifth and final non-playoff season. Marv decided to begin the rebuild process of a team that finished 5-11 and featured a lot of dead weight. Gone were Adams, Moulds, Milloy, and Teague among others.

Four years later, the 2009 Bills are at least looking like 2005. There may not be as many over the hill veterans, but it sure appears to be another 5-11 6-10 type team.

The operative question to ask is, how much has really been accomplished in four seasons if the 2009 Bills aren't a playoff team? And if the team isn't winning, aren't they simply perpetually rebuilding? And if they're perpetually rebuilding, isn't this a concrete indictment of the current management structure featuring GM Ralph Wilson, COO Brandon, along with Modrak and Guy?

Nevermind DJ, we know he's bad. This season will expose RW, Littman, and Brandon as unqualified to lead the on-field product. Kinda like TD in 2005.

I would disagree in a few respects, that 2005 team was laden with old players and lack of young talent to pick up the reigns on defense or the offensive line.

In many ways today's Bills are a product of that 2005 team. Currently too young at linebacker and the secondary, too young on the offensive line since the initial attempted overhaul looked good for only one year (pro scouting hasn't been good with too few exceptions) so we've finally tried to address it in the draft.

The records could end up being similar but at the end of the year we're in very different places for the long-term.

This season will expose RW, Littman, and Brandon as unqualified to lead the on-field product.

Not sure about leading the on-field product, but I'll tell you what ... crap teams for the last 9 seasons and Brandon managed to sell the 3rd largest (I believe) number of season tickets ever by signing 1 player. Now that's "gettin er done" in my book!