A real option to pick up along the offensive line.

WVUFootball29

Scott Wells, former starting C for the Packers, is apparently still on the trade block even after Duke Preston was released last week. Wells started 13 games for the Packers last season and has been their starting C since 2006. Personally, I've not been too impressed with Hangartner and we really have no viable center behind him. Bringing in Wells to start and letting Hangartner rotate across the interior of the line would make a significant improvement in my opinion.

2009 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 68 | Key

Comment: Wells has been a mainstay in the middle of the Packers' offensive line since his second year in the league (2005). He has average size with good athleticism and functional strength. He understands angles, hand placement, foot work and the little nuances of the position. He isn't a powerful run blocker but can lock on and wall off defenders well. He shows quickness to engage defenders early in the play. He is a smart, instinctive player who makes all the line calls and reacts well to changing fronts, stunts and twists. Wells is athletic in space and can stay connected to moving targets on the second level.

2009 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 58 | Key

Comment: Hangartner has been a valuable role player. He is a smart lineman that understands angles and schemes. He is quick off the ball and shows above-average range and quickness laterally. He is a decent knee-bender and can get his pad level down to leverage blocks, but will allow himself to become erect as he works his blocks. He is a good technician who can get a good fit with his hands and control opponents to ride or steer them on by the pocket. He can chip blocks, slide out to the second level and wall off linebackers. He is a competitive blocker who works to finish blocks and will look to punish opponents given the advantage. He is quick to pick up stunts, twists and inside games. While he is strong enough, he will struggle to leverage some blocks and can be walked back into the pocket by stronger defensive tackles.

Scott Wells, former starting C for the Packers, is apparently still on the trade block even after Duke Preston was released last week. Wells started 13 games for the Packers last season and has been their starting C since 2006. Personally, I've not been too impressed with Hangartner and we really have no viable center behind him. Bringing in Wells to start and letting Hangartner rotate across the interior of the line would make a significant improvement in my opinion.

Not for nothing but Hangartner looked great against Hampton. Didn't dominate but held his own on the point of contact. What this line needs is an identity. They need to be nasty, finish blocks when the guy is on the ground no patty cake BS.