Pat Williams and Antoine Winfield

26CornerBlitz

Losing Winfield and particularly Williams set this franchise back years. I remember when Winfield left, some people tried to justify the loss by saying he couldn't intercept passes. And Williams' best football was behind him. Yea right. All those guys do is make plays year after year. Add I'll add Jason Peters to the list of major franchise mistakes. Criticize him all you want for the sacks he gave up. He'll be missed. Big time. Mark my words.

Williams was a huge loss and I think it was a Tom Donahoe idiocy. Donahoe once quipped that his job in Buffalo was not finished yet because he had not replaced all the players there before he arrived. The point is he assumed he could do a good job replacing anyone who left and he couldn't.

Peters is another story in that the OL was a never a real strength of the team during his years here. He may do OK in Philly but it won't be like we see a big decline in the OL after his leaving, since it wasn't that good while he was here.

Winfield followed the money and there was nothing we could do about that. He got paid somewhere around $12 million his first year with Minny and $20 over the first 2 years. His contract was HEAVILY frontloaded over the first two seasons there because they had the cap space. If I remember correctly, Minnesota made him the highest paid CB in the league at that time. We wouldn't match that, sorta like the Clements deal.

Now Pat Williams? Yeah, that was a completely boneheaded decision. He liked int in Buffalo as well from what I remember and we still let him walk. ;)

5 years, $36 mill. An average of just above $7 mill / year. Greer got more, and he's nowhere near as good as Winfield. Winfield got $16 mill guaranteed, which was his first year's salary, and got no signing bonus. I guess that you could have called him the highest paid CB in the league if you looked at only salary, but throw in their bonuses and there were several guys who did better that year.

Considering that we are a cash-to-cap team, that would have gone on our books exactly the same way as a $9 mill signing bonus and a $7 mill salary, which is a very reasonable and common kind of salary for a fine player.

Winfield, by the way, follows the other team's best reciever to whichever side of the field he's on, and teams still throw away from him a lot.

I used to love watching Antoine tackle. He could take down anyone one-on-one, it was always a done deal, even people like Warrick Dunn in the open field.

I miss Antoine and Pat both. And while I don't think he's still playing, anyone remember the years when we had two big guys in the middle and teams practically gave up running up the middle. I miss Ted Washington, and he played, what, three or four more years at a very high level after we got rid of him.

Williams was a huge loss and I think it was a Tom Donahoe idiocy. Donahoe once quipped that his job in Buffalo was not finished yet because he had not replaced all the players there before he arrived. The point is he assumed he could do a good job replacing anyone who left and he couldn't.

Peters is another story in that the OL was a never a real strength of the team during his years here. He may do OK in Philly but it won't be like we see a big decline in the OL after his leaving, since it wasn't that good while he was here.

You're right, no big decline in the OL, when Peters left. But a major major decline at LT. Don't blame the problems from our center and our LG on Peters.

And right now, don't be so confident about the OL as a whole this year. There might well be a big decline, depending on how things go at LG and RT and LT this year.