Observations about our offensive/defensive schemes

NY Nole

Offense:

Our formations are much too compact, they do not adequately spread the defenders out. As a result, the defense is closer to the play and we rarely get the ball to an open man with space to run. On numerous possessions, the spacing of our receivers was too closely grouped. Josh Reed was routinely lined up inside or on the field numbers. Comparatively, the Steelers wideouts would line up to the outside of the numbers. I noticed too many plays where opposing corner backs were in on the tackle at the line of scrimmage. While this is to be expected from a corner blitz, the wider spacing would require that much more ground to be made up and would also leave a gaping hole to the outside for a quick pass. Also the wide spacing that the Steelers offense created resulted in many more completions on crossing routes, where the Bills defenders struggled to cover the open area.

Defense:

The "keep it all in front of you/bend but don't break" defensive scheme is much to passive for my taste. I prefer the Steelers agressive/in your face mentality. The amount of cushion our corners give to opposing wideouts is really questionable. Also, the first step by our linebackers is usually back and not forward to the line of scrimmage (unless an obvious blitz). Even though we may tighten up in the red zone, this philosophy makes it way too easy for opposing teams to move the ball between the 20's. And if we are content to give up 5-7 yds per play, opposing teams will be more than obliged to take it and hold onto the ball for large chunks of the game. If we are hellbent on running a no huddle offense that produces 3 and outs and keeps our defense on the field, we'd better have a healthy supply of oxygen tanks on the sidelines.

I'm really hoping the coaches know what they're doing, but quickly losing confidence.

Offense:

Our formations are much too compact, they do not adequately spread the defenders out. As a result, the defense is closer to the play and we rarely get the ball to an open man with space to run. On numerous possessions, the spacing of our receivers was too closely grouped. Josh Reed was routinely lined up inside or on the field numbers. Comparatively, the Steelers wideouts would line up to the outside of the numbers. I noticed too many plays where opposing corner backs were in on the tackle at the line of scrimmage. While this is to be expected from a corner blitz, the wider spacing would require that much more ground to be made up and would also leave a gaping hole to the outside for a quick pass. Also the wide spacing that the Steelers offense created resulted in many more completions on crossing routes, where the Bills defenders struggled to cover the open area.

I see few BUF games. Reading what you say, my guess is that they are compensating for the OL, and keeping wrs in close to chip in a shot on a rusher if needed.

Goes against the current NFL trend, calling fades, fade stops, and using the sideline, I suppose.

Offense:

Defense:

The "keep it all in front of you/bend but don't break" defensive scheme is much to passive for my taste. I prefer the Steelers agressive/in your face mentality. The amount of cushion our corners give to opposing wideouts is really questionable. Also, the first step by our linebackers is usually back and not forward to the line of scrimmage (unless an obvious blitz). Even though we may tighten up in the red zone, this philosophy makes it way too easy for opposing teams to move the ball between the 20's. And if we are content to give up 5-7 yds per play, opposing teams will be more than obliged to take it and hold onto the ball for large chunks of the game. If we are hellbent on running a no huddle offense that produces 3 and outs and keeps our defense on the field, we'd better have a healthy supply of oxygen tanks on the sidelines.

I'm really hoping the coaches know what they're doing, but quickly losing confidence.

They Don't!

The Mike Martz passing offense will die once Schonert is fired, as Mike Martz has been fired in his last 3 jobs in the last 3 years and is currently unemployed as an OC / HC and doing TV stints.Steve Fairchild moved on to be a college HC.

Several teams utilize a form of cover 2 / Tampa 2, only the Bills seem to be utilizing the scheme full time and the bend but don't break philosophy seems to get broken by the Patriots every time they play them. Plus that defense is always weak against the run, power running teams will own the Bills.