Brian Leonard Catching On

Frez

Wow. That article is far too optimistic about Leonard in the offense. Leonard isn't their backup RB, Bernard Scott is. He's also not their FB, either. Leonard is not explosive enough to be a 3rd down back, and doesn't have the blocking ability to be strictly a FB. He is a situational player at best (maybe 3rd and short, goaline). That article makes it sound like he's some sort of weapon.

Would've loved to have the home town boy in Buffalo. I hope he does well with Cincy this year. He's a good kid trying to make some waves in the NFL.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009082...on+with+Bengals

His fate is up in the air, Frez. They have TE problems. Reggie Kelly tore his achillies tendon in practice, and he is a key player for them - a superior H-back and blocker, and decent hands in a relief-valve role. Utect suffered his 5th concussion (dumb acquisition - hands of stone). They've purchased two or three cast-offs in the last week or so for look-sees.

They drafted Chase Coffman, but I think he still has problems with his broken foot. And he has no rep as being being anything other than a largish wide-out. IIRC, he's only been on a couple of snaps, but is 2nd on the chart behind young journeyman Dan Coats.

Leonard hasn't seen much ps game action. Perhaps he will get more of a look tomorrow. My guess is that he will be watched for blocking acumen. If he doesn't play at all, or very sparingly, I would think that he doesn't make the cut.

Wow. That article is far too optimistic about Leonard in the offense. Leonard isn't their backup RB, Bernard Scott is. He's also not their FB, either. Leonard is not explosive enough to be a 3rd down back, and doesn't have the blocking ability to be strictly a FB. He is a situational player at best (maybe 3rd and short, goaline). That article makes it sound like he's some sort of weapon.

Pretty much sums up Leonard in a nutshell. Although Im not sure he could be a short yardage back. He runs too high and isn't explosive thru the hole.