Anyone been to Colonial Williamsburg?

BillsWatch

I am staying at a timeshare in Williamsburg and was planning on taking my family to Busch Gardens and Colonial Williamsburg while we were there. Has anyone been to Colonial Williamsburg? I read one blog that you do not even need to pay for Colonial Williamsburg except to go into the major buildings like the Governor's Palace for there are no entrance gates. All you need to do is park in a municipal lot and walk in. If you have been there before is this true? I'd much rather spend the money in the shops if I can. Next time if interested I could take the full tour.

I am staying at a timeshare in Williamsburg and was planning on taking my family to Busch Gardens and Colonial Williamsburg while we were there. Has anyone been to Colonial Williamsburg? I read one blog that you do not even need to pay for Colonial Williamsburg except to go into the major buildings like the Governor's Palace for there are no entrance gates. All you need to do is park in a municipal lot and walk in. If you have been there before is this true? I'd much rather spend the money in the shops if I can. Next time if interested I could take the full tour.

Yes - about 20 years ago. I don't recall about needing tickets for Colonial Wms'burg. If so, buy 'em. It's quite interesting.

That's true about not paying for admission. You may not even have to pay to park, if you park on one of the surrounding streets. VA Rt.60(Richmond Rd) is a good bet for free parking. Walk past the William & Mary Campus, cross the street (carefully) the point where the W&M Campus meets Colonial Williamsburg is in the shape of a "V"-called "confusion corner" because of the potential accidents there, walk one block thru Merchant's Square (shopping), and you're there.

Kids being Kids, walk the around the town and see if they're interested before you put your money down. You can walk up/down all the streets. The Building Attractions have Union Jack flags in front of them and you can't go in without an admission badge, but that's it.

If, after checking the place out, you decide to purchase passes, you can do so at a little building called the Lumber House, on the Duke of Gloucester St. (the main street). No need to move your car, if you left it on the street.

You may want to consider driving the Colonial Parkway. It's a very nice drive, kind of like the Canadian side of the Niagara River. It runs from Jamestown (admission) to Yorktown. Yorktown like Williamsburg is free to walk around, I think the Battlefield is free and the little town of Yorktown on the York River is free but full of over priced tourist items.

There's a huge Outlet Mall on Rt 60 (Richmond Rd). VA Rt. 5 has several Plantations between I-295 & Williamsburg.

If you go to Busch Gardens stay away on the weekends. Too crowded, long lines, especially for the Roller Coasters.

Enjoy, there's a lot to see and do.

Thanks for advice.

I am driving down on Sunday taking advantage of timeshare's (Kingsgate) reduced points during weekdays so I will not be going to Busch Gardens on weekend. My "little one" is 17 and doesn't want to do anything not involving internet but no choice for her. Neither my wife nor daughter are roller coaster fans (pity) but maybe I can convince my wife's friend to go on one.

Usually I try to buy tickets ahead of time to save time in line when I find discounts but so nothing worth purchasing yet. I'll try visiting Williamsburg on Sunday late afternoon for a few hours to determine if I want to purchase or not.

Weather report says possibility of rain Sunday and Monday with clear skies Tuesday. I'll check again when we get closer but looks like Sunday and Monday Williamsburg with Tuesday Busch Garden.

Thanks for advice.

I am driving down on Sunday taking advantage of timeshare's (Kingsgate) reduced points during weekdays so I will not be going to Busch Gardens on weekend. My "little one" is 17 and doesn't want to do anything not involving internet but no choice for her. Neither my wife nor daughter are roller coaster fans (pity) but maybe I can convince my wife's friend to go on one.

Usually I try to buy tickets ahead of time to save time in line when I find discounts but so nothing worth purchasing yet. I'll try visiting Williamsburg on Sunday late afternoon for a few hours to determine if I want to purchase or not.

Weather report says possibility of rain Sunday and Monday with clear skies Tuesday. I'll check again when we get closer but looks like Sunday and Monday Williamsburg with Tuesday Busch Garden.

Try the Griffin. Great view of the Coast from the top. Apollo's Chariot is good too but they all have weather sensors and won't operate if there's a chance of a storm.

Colonial Williamsburg is giving VA residents $10 off the annual pass, if you decide to do that. If you're interested and think you'll be back within the next year, it may be worth considering.

Just went two weeks ago. If you want to go inside any of the buildings, you need to buy the day pass.

Prepare to pay too much for food, there isn't much choice on that matter. There are some shopping places there that might also interest you.

I am not sure how much you will get out of the trip unless you do go inside. But if you buy the pass, you will pretty much be all day going in and out of places.

Go wander around William and Mary while you're there. While at the gunsmith shop I asked how much the musket was that was hanging on the wall. The answer- 7,000$. I think it's still hanging there.

Marv coached at W&M for four years.

I knew that but it is a family vacation not a personal one.

Of course if there is a Marv Levy exhibit there and we happen to wander by when there are other historical things ....