Can somebody help me with some ?'s

I played high school football and have also helped coach at that level. I also follow football like it is my job/life...however, some questions have always been on my mind and I would like some answers.

1. What is the difference between a "1-gap" and a "3-gap" technique for a defensive tackle? Is there a "2-gap?"

2. What is the benefit of a "4-6" defense and does any team in the league employ this scheme?

3. What is the difference between an Offensive Quality Control Coach and an Offensive Coordinator?

Hope to gain some knowledge here. They may be stupid questions, but I just don't get it. I look forward to hearing some POSITIVE input, please NO nagging.

Also...what is the difference in a 3-step drop and a 5-step drop, for a quarterback? Just to buy time for the receivers?

there are others that can answer these better but

1. basically a 1 technique is a nose tackle, they line up right over the center and are usually stout type players like Kyle Williams, or absolute giants like Ted Washington. 3 technique try to shoot a gap between the interior lineman and are usually the more athletic type defensive tackles - Warren Sapp probably being the best ever at this.

2. designed for pressuring the quarterback. I don't think any defense is currently running a 4-6. It's really just a way of running a 4-3 where the strong safety stays near the line and blitzes a lot. the SS is usually a big guy or a big hitter like a Lawyer Milloy.

3. I think the Offensive Quality Control coach does stuff like putting together materials for game planning and watches a lot of game video making notes for game planning.

I played high school football and have also helped coach at that level. I also follow football like it is my job/life...however, some questions have always been on my mind and I would like some answers.

1. What is the difference between a "1-gap" and a "3-gap" technique for a defensive tackle? Is there a "2-gap?"

2. What is the benefit of a "4-6" defense and does any team in the league employ this scheme?

3. What is the difference between an Offensive Quality Control Coach and an Offensive Coordinator?

Hope to gain some knowledge here. They may be stupid questions, but I just don't get it. I look forward to hearing some POSITIVE input, please NO nagging.

Also...what is the difference in a 3-step drop and a 5-step drop, for a quarterback? Just to buy time for the receivers?

1. The two types of gap schemes are one-gap and two-gap. I have never heard of three-gap, although you might be confusing it with "three-technique" which I'll attempt to explain farther down.

My understanding is that one gap means you are responsible for one gap...for instance, if you are the left defensive tackle in a 4-3, your one-gap responsibility on a given play might be the gap between the center and the right offensive guard. For the same player in a two-gap scheme, your responsibility(ies) might be the gap between the center and right offensive guard and the gap between the right offensive guard and the right offensive tackle. In other words in two-gap you're responsible for two gaps.

Generally speaking in a one-gap technique you can be a bit more aggressive and try shooting through your gap. In a two-gap technique you're typically in more of a "read and react" mode where you engage the blocker in front of you while reading the play and then pick a gap to fill.

The above concept relates to but is distinct from the idea of "run fits."

Further confusing the discussion is the use of the terms: zero, one, two, three, four, and five technique. These refer to where on the line a defensive lineman plays. The zero technique lines up head to head on the center (what many think of as a classic nose tackle). A one-technique is between the center and guard (often times a nose tackle will play this technique). A two-technique is head to head with the guard (what many think of as a defensive tackle in a 4-3). A three-technique is between the guard and tackle. A four-technique (typically a defensive end) lines up head to head with the tackle. A five technique lines up outside the tackle (this is the classic pass rush technique).

2. As for the 46 defense, I'll let Wikipedia explain: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/46_defense

3. As far as the difference between an OC and an OQCC, I don't really know for sure but I would guess this:

The OC is responsible for implementing the offense. This is including but not limited to the schemes, philosophy, techniques, and the development of the playbook, as well as the game plan, and often the gameday play calling.

The OQCC reviews tape, grades tape, does self-scouting (to note tendencies that other teams would pick up on), and other duties related to making sure the quality of the product (the offense) is as close to the OC's vision as possible.

That's all I got Shnooks. Hope this is a help. I'm sure the others will fill you in on the rest and anything I might have missed on or been mistaken about.

there are others that can answer these better but

1. basically a 1 technique is a nose tackle, they line up right over the center and are usually stout type players like Kyle Williams, or absolute giants like Ted Washington. 3 technique try to shoot a gap between the interior lineman and are usually the more athletic type defensive tackles - Warren Sapp being the best ever at this.

2. designed for pressuring the quarterback. I don't think any defense is currently running a 4-6. It's really just a way of running a 4-3 where the strong safety stays near the line and blitzes a lot. the SS is usually a big guy or a big hitter like a Lawyer Milloy.

3. I think the Offensive Quality Control coach does stuff like putting together materials for game planning and watches a lot of game video making notes for game planning.

Fixed. I might add the Offensive Quality Control Coach is usually a young guy just getting started. I believe it was Jon Gruden's 1st job.

I went crazy trying to figure out how the alignment could work in a 4-6 defense (six linebackers?) until I realized that the damn thing was called the 46 defense, named after a player's number.

I believe the 46 is still named after the player alignment. 4 down lineman and 6 players in a 2 point stance, all considered to be in the box. The 6 includes the 2 CBs in a press coverage, a Safety, and 3 LBs. Baltimore is the only team recently I know for sure that at least somewhat used the 46 "bear" as they called it. The eagles may have though not too sure.

I believe the 46 is still named after the player alignment. 4 down lineman and 6 players in a 2 point stance, all considered to be in the box. The 6 includes the 2 CBs in a press coverage, a Safety, and 3 LBs. Baltimore is the only team recently I know for sure that at least somewhat used the 46 "bear" as they called it. The eagles may have though not too sure.

No, it's the jersey number of the Bears' starting safety when Ryan devised the defense. The link in the post above has the details.

1) A "1 Gap" tackle means he is trying to get penetration into the backfield and disrupt the play, so he is basically only responsible for his 1 gap--think Pat Williams. Yes, there is a "2 gap" tackle(usually in the 3-4 defense), that is responsible for "anchoring the line" and not allowing the offensive linemen to get by him and block the linebackers---think Ted Washington. A "3 Technique" DT is lined up between the guard and the tackle(B Gap), and is shifted over towards the guard. A "4 Technique" DT means you are lining straight up on the tackle, and a "4i Technique" DT means you are in the same gap as the 3 technique, but shifted over a few feet to line up on the inside shoulder of the tackle(i stands for inside shade) Head up techniques are always even numbered, while outside shoulder techniques are always odd numbered...

2) The "46" was the defense run by Buddy Ryan with the Chicago Bears during their heyday in the mid '80s. Its job was to wreak havoc on the defensive backfield by bringing more people than the opposing offense could possibly block, thereby giving at least 1 defensive player a virtually free run to the QB/RB. The SS basically is used as a 4th linebacker who lines up near the line of scrimmage, similar to when teams employ an "8 in the box" scheme. The linebackers are all usually lined up within about a 10 yard area of each other on one side of the field, leaving the SS as the only "LB" on the other side of the field(usually the strong side). The SLB was renamed the Jack LB to avoid confusion, since he is not lining up on the strong side of the formation, but is actually a few feet away from the WLB... The defense was extremely effective at forcing teams to abandon the run game and force them into throwing the ball much more than they wanted to since most teams passing games in the mid '80s were relatively primitive compared to the current passing attacks and relied heavily on play action passes(which relied heavily on a good running game to be effective). With the running game basically shut down, teams could no longer use play action passes effectively, and most teams did not have a good enough passing game to expose the weaknesses of the "46" defense---mainly leaving both CB's on an island playing man coverage and only 1 FS left roaming the entire middle of the field...The "46" defense was doomed with the integration of the West Coast Offense, predicated on short passes to multiple receivers and backs out of the backfield. With the ball coming out so quickly, the "46" defense did not have enough time to get to the QB, and their lack of players in coverage allowed wide open receivers running in huge open field areas. However, the "46" defense did introduce some concepts still seen today---the SS acting as the "8th man in the box" against strong run games, and the safety/corner blitzes are things that are still around that were largely based on what the "46 defense" did. The West Coast Offense was the shift in philosophy on offense to answer the "46" defense. Perhaps without the "46" defense, there would not have been a need for the WCO as we know it today...interesting points to ponder...

3) An OQCC usually is a lesser guy that breaks down lots of film work and gives the coaches tips on what to look for when playing other teams, such as tendencies on a given down/distance, noted weaknesses that can be exploited, and strengths that need to be limited...they usually put in tons of hours and are often lowly paid or unpaid positions. Mike Mularkey broke into the coaching ranks as an OQCC, so good ones usually get promoted to other coaching/scouting positions after proving their worth to the team... An OC is basically the person in charge of the offense---coming up with the gameplan either in full or in coordination with the Head Coach depending on the team/coach. He is responsible for all the position coaches getting their players ready to perform the gameplan properly and executing it to the best of their ability. So in essence, these positions are the absolute opposite of each other---the OQCC is the lowest position on the offense, while the OC is the highest position on the offense...