Think healthcare is too expensive?

The thing is it is not just the malpractice insurance that goes up. What this causes is doctors doing every they can think of to protect themselves. Just think if there is a 0.05% probability of something if the doctor doesn't check it it could end his career. Doing all the test costs the insurance companies money the costs are passed onto the insured...

Ya, and return to the days when:

My younger brother was born in 1969 with underdeveloped lungs. My father asked why was he so blue, the doctor replied, "That's normal, a lot of babies are like that". My father didn't question him, afterall, he was the doctor?

One day later he died. For that day, he gasped for air in his underdeveloped lungs. My mother was still in the hospital, when my father laid him to rest. A stryrofoam casket served the purpose, they didn't even have a casket small enough.

Today, the problem would have been caught right away and noticed by the doctor/neonatalogist (spelling). He would be alive.

It is called competition, the lawyers sure can bring the quality out! Without them, would you have any "performance monitoring" in the health profession?

My daughter was born through C-section, her older brother too. With my son, it was an emergency. My daughter came out swallowing some fluid and had difficulty breathing for a second... The doctors sure jumped to action... I guess that is a good thing. I often wonder how things would have been different in 1969... You know the "good 'ole days"...???

I'm sorry for the loss of your brother, but I find it disgusting that you charge the reason doctors do the best job they can is to avoid lawsuits, and that this fear justifies the existence of trial lawyers who file frivelous lawsuits. When my son was born prematurely, I guarantee you the neonatal intensive care staff who assembled at a moments notice to take care of his first hours were more driven by compassion for a baby's life than fear of some lawyer.

Ya, and return to the days when:

My younger brother was born in 1969 with underdeveloped lungs.  My father asked why was he so blue, the doctor replied, "That's normal, a lot of babies are like that".  My father didn't question him, afterall, he was the doctor?

One day later he died.  For that day, he gasped for air in his underdeveloped lungs.  My mother was still in the hospital, when my father laid him to rest.  A stryrofoam casket served the purpose, they didn't even have a casket small enough.

Today, the problem would have been caught right away and noticed by the doctor/neonatalogist (spelling).  He would be alive.

It is called competition, the lawyers sure can bring the quality out!  Without them, would you have any "performance monitoring" in the health profession?

My daughter was born through C-section, her older brother too.  With my son, it was an emergency.  My daughter came out swallowing some fluid and had difficulty breathing for a second... The doctors sure jumped to action... I guess that is a good thing.  I often wonder how things would have been different in 1969... You know the "good 'ole days"...???

8486[/snapback]

Bull stevestojan. Almost 200,000 people were killed by doctors last year. The only thing improving the quality of health care is the passage of time.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
...and those like him (is it any wonder that there are 3 lawyers that we know of here on PPP, and they all profess to be Democrats?)...

Little boy sue: legalized theft and John Edwards

8032[/snapback]

How many of those outfits that poison and scar men, women, and innocent children with their practices honestly CARE when they hurt people? Do you think that if people came up to them with proof they hurt them they would PAY of their own free will?!

Do you know HOW MANY doctors STILL have their license after they have cost people due to incorrect surgeries?!

Do you know HOW MANY companies cover up and hide their deadly mistakes just to protect their own arses?!

Do you know HOW MANY insurance companies are making money hand over fist, and complaining about FRAUD, all the while raising rates, and their profit margins?

Corporate greed is WELL, WELL ahead of the trial lawyers in THIS RACE.

If it wasn't for those lawyers, those damn ZEIGLER companies NEVER would have paid for their GROSS NEGLIGENCE, and my father would have died for NOTHING.

Spare me the tears for the rich companies and doctors. I have NONE!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry for the loss of your brother, but I find it disgusting that you charge the reason doctors do the best job they can is to avoid lawsuits, and that this fear justifies the existence of trial lawyers who file frivelous lawsuits.  When my son was born prematurely, I guarantee you the neonatal intensive care staff who assembled at a moments notice to take care of his first hours were more driven by compassion for a baby's life than fear of some lawyer.

8526[/snapback]

You think they would have in say the 1960's?... If you think so, you gotta be dreaming.

Like I said dream on... What you explain is the product of the years and A TEAM BEING there. Ya, the compassion is there... What if the teams of neonatalogists weren't assembled like in the old days?

Here is another one:

My mother went into labor with my older sister in 1963, she entered Sister's Hospital at 11:50... You know what the nurse that was on staff that evening did?

Helped her to a gurny, crossed her legs and said: "Hang on sweetie, the next crew comes in at 12:00"... NO FREAKIN' KIDDING!... :D:P

Bull stevestojan.  Almost 200,000 people were killed by doctors last year.  The only thing improving the quality of health care is the passage of time.

8530[/snapback]

You got numbers on those previous years?

Did they keep numbers 40, 50 years ago? Thank you lawyers, because facts suck!

Facts do suck AD, and you can thank your local lawyer for compiling those facts. Without them you wouldn't even be able to bandy about any numbers.

Come back when you grow up, you are still living in your paper-doll world... Livin' ain't easy there nature boy.

My mother went into labor with my older sister in 1963, she entered Sister's Hospital at 11:50... You know what the nurse that was on staff that evening did?

Helped her to a gurny, crossed her legs and said: "Hang on sweetie, the next crew comes in at 12:00"... NO FREAKIN' KIDDING!... <_<  :o

8611[/snapback]

My wife is a labor and delivery nurse, has been for 4 years. All the incidences you speak of would never happen these days, but to claim that is due to lawyers is nonsense. I can tell you that my wife and her coworkers give the best treatment possible (my wife has had 2 babies, one whose heartrate dropped dangerously low during delivery, so I know the overall level of care). Their treatment has nothing to do with lawyers - it has to do with advancing medical technology, better training, etc.

My wife and coworkers have the option of getting personal liability insurance, in case they make a mistake, so they are covered from the frivelous lawsuits. My wife and many of her coworkers choose not to do so. They do not because they are driven not out of fear from lawyers, but out of a passion for their job and a knowledge that they are doing their job correctly and at a high level.

Pretending that lawyers create the high level of hospital care is a joke. They may help in taking down some of the crooked doctors out there, but they are also putting hundreds of exceptional doctors out of business or forcing them to go to other states. Do you think lawyers are doing their jobs when entire emergency rooms have to shut down because they can no longer stay in business due to extraordinary malpractice insurance?

Lawyers aren't the only problem though, it is the ridiculous perception by most of society that whenever something goes wrong, you better sue. My sister-in-law almost died after a c-section to deliver twins. The main reason was because of poor nursing care. Her husband would have been left to raise 5 girls under the age of 7. They could have sued for millions and they should have if they took advice from an attorney. They never sued and never asked for one cent. What is ridiculous is that lawyers encourage people to ask for millions of dollars in damage - ridiculous amounts that are driven from greed alone.

Have lawyers created a sense of accountability in healthcare? Yes. Have they been responsible for better training of those in healthcare? No. Have they been responsible for advancing medical technology? No. Are they responsible for abusing their powers, driving good doctors out of business and advancing the idea that greed is acceptable? Yes.

My wife is a labor and delivery nurse, has been for 4 years.  All the incidences you speak of would never happen these days, but to claim that is due to lawyers is nonsense.  I can tell you that my wife and her coworkers give the best treatment possible (my wife has had 2 babies, one whose heartrate dropped dangerously low during delivery, so I know the overall level of care).  Their treatment has nothing to do with lawyers - it has to do with advancing medical technology, better training, etc. 

My wife and coworkers have the option of getting personal liability insurance, in case they make a mistake, so they are covered from the frivelous lawsuits.  My wife and many of her coworkers choose not to do so.  They do not because they are driven not out of fear from lawyers, but out of a passion for their job and a knowledge that they are doing their job correctly and at a high level.

Pretending that lawyers create the high level of hospital care is a joke.  They may help in taking down some of the crooked doctors out there, but they are also putting hundreds of exceptional doctors out of business or forcing them to go to other states.  Do you think lawyers are doing their jobs when entire emergency rooms have to shut down because they can no longer stay in business due to extraordinary malpractice insurance?

Lawyers aren't the only problem though, it is the ridiculous perception by most of society that whenever something goes wrong, you better sue.  My sister-in-law almost died after a c-section to deliver twins.  The main reason was because of poor nursing care.  Her husband would have been left to raise 5 girls under the age of 7.  They could have sued for millions and they should have if they took advice from an attorney.  They never sued and never asked for one cent.  What is ridiculous is that lawyers encourage people to ask for millions of dollars in damage - ridiculous amounts that are driven from greed alone.

Have lawyers created a sense of accountability in healthcare?  Yes.  Have they been responsible for better training of those in healthcare?  No.  Have they been responsible for advancing medical technology?  No.  Are they responsible for abusing their powers, driving good doctors out of business and advancing the idea that greed is acceptable?  Yes.

8704[/snapback]

With my son we had a choice of turning with forceps or c-section... We had previously decided that we wanted no part of forceps... That GOD! When the doctor did the c-section, he said the way my son was wedged, he would have never have accomplished it with the forceps.

What I can't figure out, during the emerg. c-section, he cut her vertically on the outside and horizontally on the inside (that is what he said)... Why?

Would a "Bikini" or horizontal incision been deemed vain in an emerg. procedure?

I don't know? Maybe your wife can explain?

He was an old school doctor... Did a great job. He was a master at circumsision also... All the nurses rave at how he could zip the thing off perfectly in the matter of seconds!... <_<:o They would say with the younger doc it would be an awfully long process? :(

They are finding out that V-back is not all it is cracked up to be... Going back to the old way, because of chance of hemmorhage. My daughter was a planned c-section.

You got numbers on those previous years?

Did they keep numbers 40, 50 years ago?  Thank you lawyers, because facts suck!

Facts do suck AD, and you can thank your local lawyer for compiling those facts.  Without them you wouldn't even be able to bandy about any numbers.

Come back when you grow up, you are still living in your paper-doll world... Livin' ain't easy there nature boy.

8612[/snapback]

So now lawyers are responsible for compiling facts? Here I was thinking that changed because of easier communication and advancements in technology. Learn something new every day.

You are seriously fuggin' warped.

So now lawyers are responsible for compiling facts?  Here I was thinking that changed because of easier communication and advancements in technology.  Learn something new every day.

You are seriously fuggin' warped.

8753[/snapback]

Ah, the King of literal strikes again. Nice job. Let us know when you'll have a reasonable discussion.

Of course he didn't mean lawyers alone are responsible for compiling facts. But you knew that.

Ah, the King of literal strikes again.  Nice job.  Let us know when you'll have a reasonable discussion.

Of course he didn't mean lawyers alone are responsible for compiling facts.  But you knew that.

8798[/snapback]

Yeah, I knew that. Because EII is so easily understood.

Welcome back. We missed you.