Assuming Trent Goes Down w/ Injury

Virgil

First off, let me say that this is a purely hypothetical question and not an anti-Trent post.

If Trent were to go down for the count, I would assume that Fitz or the Chroise isn't going to be the answer. Who would you go after?

For me, I've been surprised by the amount of depth that the Packers have at QB. They have both Matt Flynn and Brian Brohm backing up Aaron Rogers. I would love to see what either of them could do as a starter.

Also, there has been a lot of discussions lately about Matt Leinhert getting cut because the current coach isn't a big fan of his style. I think it has to do with the coach actually drafting the other back-up qb and he wants "his guy" as the successor to Warner. In either case, he sounds more expendable. I would love to give him a chance in Buffalo.

However, if this season ends and, for whatever reason, we realize that Trent isn't our guy....would you sell the house and go after Bradford in the Draft? I know that there are a lot of factors for that to happen; where we finish (7-9), if we have a rookie salary structure in place, if it's an uncapped year. For me though, if the Trent plan fails, this will be the umpteenth time we've failed in the qb experiment since the glory days and I would like to see us make the best effort possible to solve that problem.

Wow, even I realize this post is a bit of a ramble. In any case, it's hard for me to have a ton of faith in Trent completing a season healthy between his past injury issues and our new O-Line.

If anything went down this year, I would like to see the Bills give Leinhert or Brohm a look. NO VICK!!!

And if the season ends with QB as our main question mark, then I sell the farm for Bradford. Yes, I realize the amount of yelling I will receive for that, but it would be a position we haven't had an answer to for quite some time, and LB and DT seem like the only other positions of huge question.

First off, let me say that this is a purely hypothetical question and not an anti-Trent post.

If Trent were to go down for the count, I would assume that Fitz or the Chroise isn't going to be the answer. Who would you go after?

For me, I've been surprised by the amount of depth that the Packers have at QB. They have both Matt Flynn and Brian Brohm backing up Aaron Rogers. I would love to see what either of them could do as a starter.

Also, there has been a lot of discussions lately about Matt Leinhert getting cut because the current coach isn't a big fan of his style. I think it has to do with the coach actually drafting the other back-up qb and he wants "his guy" as the successor to Warner. In either case, he sounds more expendable. I would love to give him a chance in Buffalo.

However, if this season ends and, for whatever reason, we realize that Trent isn't our guy....would you sell the house and go after Bradford in the Draft? I know that there are a lot of factors for that to happen; where we finish (7-9), if we have a rookie salary structure in place, if it's an uncapped year. For me though, if the Trent plan fails, this will be the umpteenth time we've failed in the qb experiment since the glory days and I would like to see us make the best effort possible to solve that problem.

Wow, even I realize this post is a bit of a ramble. In any case, it's hard for me to have a ton of faith in Trent completing a season healthy between his past injury issues and our new O-Line.

If anything went down this year, I would like to see the Bills give Leinhert or Brohm a look. NO VICK!!!

And if the season ends with QB as our main question mark, then I sell the farm for Bradford. Yes, I realize the amount of yelling I will receive for that, but it would be a position we haven't had an answer to for quite some time, and LB and DT seem like the only other positions of huge question.

You wanna betcha: Sheik Youboty goes down first? Sorry, I won. He's down again.

Trade for Brohm. BTW I predict a 4-12 season so a top 5 draft is possible. I think Brohm could be had for a 3rd and 5th rounder in that case or less. Brohm was a better pro prospect in college than Tebow and McCoy and Bradford I believe will struggle this season. If he doesn't struggle he will be drafted before our pick. I would rather add a top DL to gets some QB pressure or a top T to make our mediocre QB look great.

If TE goes down or is terrible this year, the Bills are going to be a hell of a lot worse than 7-9.

Its a matter of whether the Bills want to continue to try to get the right pieces in place with what is out there.... or go for a QB in the draft, and either hit a home run immediately (Matt Ryan), or commit to a few year rebuild with a QB.

I dunno the answer. I still have hope for Trent as of now though.

First off, I believe Trent will show a lot this year and be the starter on this team for the foreseeable future.

But, to answer your hypothetical, I would never feel comfortable drafting a QB high in the first round. Look at the numbers, the risk is just too high, and I believe the majority don't even pan out.

I'd look for a veteran QB in free agency first. If nothing there, I'd look to swing a minor trade such as the Vikings with Sage Rosenfels. I'd then draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round to develop. That gives you an average to above average NFL veteran starter, or at least a capable one that gives your team a chance, and also the young guy you hope is the future developing behind him.

That's JMO on how to handle a QB situation. I hate those high first rounders.

Considering Buffalo's recent draft history, I'd be concerned with ANY high first-round pick they make. Unless you've got a surefire Hall of Famer like Peyton Manning sitting at their pick -- and a lot of teams have wrecked their drafts trying to find another No. 18 -- ans's strategy makes a lot of sense.

Trouble is, if Edwards does end up on the long-term injury report, I can see the Bills braintrust using that as an excuse to plug him in again next season. And no, neither Fitzy nor Chroise gives me a warm-and-fuzzy feeling about the team's prospects, either. Hey, think AVP would come out of retirement? He's already in the meetings, after all.

Kidding aside, no thanks to Leinart, who has yet to show me he cares enough about the game to fight for a starting job.

Taking this in a slightly different direction, this season is riding on Trent Edwards. The Bills are putting the offense in his hands and have changed their philosophy, on paper, to be an offensively driven team. They want to try to outscore everybody and be a team like Peyton and the Colts. Russ went out and got a "gun rack full of weapons". (Ok, so the gun rack had 1 weapon, Terrell "Publicity Addict" Owens.) Edwards is going to have to lead. They've got nobody behind him on the depth chart and put T.O. chattering in his ear hole.

If the team continues its free fall from last season, is there really any question about it?