OFFICAL GAME DAY THREAD

that isn't a trick... I would think you would want to instruct the team not to give away points ever... there is a tie breaker that involves points against.

I think the idea is just to put as much distance between yourself and the defense as possible - run away from them until the clock is out, then go out of bounds. Ideally, that's still on the field of play, but if you step out of bounds with :01 at the clock at the 5, then you're screwed - the opponent gets the ball in great field position, whereas if you step out of the end zone at :01, the game will end if you can over the free kick.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that isn't a trick... I would think you would want to instruct the team not to give away points ever... there is a tie breaker that involves points against.

You are correct. Since nobody was chasing him, he should have stopped at the one, and only gone into the EZ if he needed to. They probably never practiced it that way before, though. Now they know.

I'm not sure why the game ended on the play with a safety awarded. He can be in the endzone all day long & it's not a safety until he goes out of bounds or is tackled, since he can still punt it if not tackled. So my question is: If he went out of bounds, then there's got to be time left & the Bills should have received a free kick. If he didn't go out until after the clock expired then it is not a safety and the Bills shouldn't have been awarded 2 points. I seriously doubt he timed it perfectly where the clock expired at the exact moment he stepped out. My guess is the refs messed something up.

I'm not sure why the game ended on the play with a safety awarded. He can be in the endzone all day long & it's not a safety until he goes out of bounds or is tackled, since he can still punt it if not tackled. So my question is: If he went out of bounds, then there's got to be time left & the Bills should have received a free kick. If he didn't go out until after the clock expired then it is not a safety and the Bills shouldn't have been awarded 2 points. I seriously doubt he timed it perfectly where the clock expired at the exact moment he stepped out. My guess is the refs messed something up.

It doesn't matter if there was no time on the clock: the result of the play would be a safety, with points awarded. The only time that gets shaved off is if a TD is scored in overtime - there'd be no XP.

I was glad to see that. Hopefully the disgust at a performance like this is contagious.

I am sure T.O.'s disgust will fade and he become numb to the losing ways of Dicky J and his band of miscreants and fall into line like the rest of the players that come here and lose their hunger. see Mitchell :thumbsup::w00t::wallbash:

It's not hockey. The game doesn't end when the clock hits :00. The game ends when the play in progress ends. Haven't you ever seen a winning Hail Mary catch after the clock was at :00?