What I hope to see vs. the Pats

nodnarb

Offense: Spread them out. 3 and 4 WR sets, take advantage of their injuries in the secondary. If Earthwind "Andfire" Moreland, Randall Gay and Troy Brown are capable of shutting down our passing game, then we deserve to lose. If we don't even bother to exploit their injuries, then we'd deserve to lose and the coaches would deserve a lot of piss and vinegar in their ears. But we have great coaches. We'll force them to use these guys.

Keep mixing up the tosses and the inside runs - their LBs are smart but they're not as fast as the Jets young LBs, and it worked on them.

Every now and then, use exotic formations to run unexotic plays.

Weather permitting, let Lee Evans streak. Again and again, until their safeties pull back to give Willis space, and Moulds is one on one. Moulds on anyone other than Law is a mismatch. Eric and Lee will come through.

DEFENSE:

last time we played them, we blitzed 70% of the time, and never got close to Brady. It was embarrassing. They have some injuries at the OLine, which might make it possible to hit him, but keep it below 50%. Use some zone blitzes and CB blitzes and force brady to beat our DBs outside. Hit them hard everywhere. They're playing on edge knowing there's no depth at WR anymore. Hit 'em hit 'em hit 'em. I wanna see Teddy Brusci catching passes by the 2nd quarter.

Bills 23

Patriots 17

(Yup)

Offense: Spread them out. 3 and 4 WR sets, take advantage of their injuries in the secondary.

108913[/snapback]

Couldn't disagree more.

NE blows out teams who open up their offense, the Rams and Colts come to mind. Look at the games they've lost and/or struggled in over the course of this season and last. For the most part they've been against teams that use a grinding ball-control style. While the Pats won both times, I'd look at the SuperBowl against Carolina, and the 1st Bills game this season as examples. Running and playing ugly and mean is the way to beat them.

Case in point: Big Ben was a pedestrian 18-24 for 196 yds. Staley ran for 125 yds on 25 attempts, and the Stillers blew them up 34-20.

If we can run the ball with the success we've had of late, and take the occasional shot downfield when they cheat the safeties, the Bills will win, no doubt in my mind. I'm equally confident that if we don't run the ball well, we have no chance.

But Bellicheck's magic disappears when teams run the ball on them. They're succeptible to getting beat and beat up by a smashmouth type of offense.

If we can run the ball with the success we've had of late, and take the occasional shot downfield when they cheat the safeties, the Bills will win, no doubt in my mind.  I'm equally confident that if we don't run the ball well, we have no chance.

Bellicheck's magic disappears when teams run the ball on them.

108917[/snapback]

I agree, and would like to add that we need to patient with the score.

This defense has been absolutely shutting down offenses in the second half. (other than the McGee slip) It's okay to be down a bit at half time. As long as it's relatively close, don't freak out and start tossing the ball around until the 4th. Wear them down with the run and let the D do their thing.

Couldn't disagree more. 

NE blows out teams who open up their offense, the Rams and Colts come to mind.  Look at the games they've lost and/or struggled in over the course of this season and last.  For the most part they've been against teams that use a grinding ball-control style.  While the Pats won both times, I'd look at the SuperBowl against Carolina, and the 1st Bills game this season as examples.  Running and playing ugly and mean is the way to beat them.

Case in point:  Big Ben was a pedestrian 18-24 for 196 yds.  Staley ran for 125 yds on 25 attempts, and the Stillers blew them up 34-20.

If we can run the ball with the success we've had of late, and take the occasional shot downfield when they cheat the safeties, the Bills will win, no doubt in my mind.  I'm equally confident that if we don't run the ball well, we have no chance.

But Bellicheck's magic disappears when teams run the ball on them.  They're succeptible to getting beat and beat up by a smashmouth type of offense.

108917[/snapback]

You nailed it... That is the tried and tested formula used to beat the Pats. It's the same approach the Tennesee Titans were using to win football games 2 and 3 years ago. Run, run, run, play action, and patience.

I dunno how well we'll do running McGahee 37 times vs. New England, their "D" is tougher than the Jets. It's a game for Drew to step up and exploit the secondary. If that falters, we have no shot.

I dunno how well we'll do running McGahee 37 times vs. New England, their "D" is tougher than the Jets.  It's a game for Drew to step up and exploit the secondary.  If that falters, we have no shot.

108964[/snapback]

No way is their D tougher specifically against the run than the Jets. Not even close. And the numbers bare it out.

btw..nice avatar :w00t:

I dunno how well we'll do running McGahee 37 times vs. New England, their "D" is tougher than the Jets.  It's a game for Drew to step up and exploit the secondary.  If that falters, we have no shot.

108964[/snapback]

Jets: 13th against the run

NE: 21st against the run

As of last count, NE was down 3 DB's (One coming back this week???). This will indirectly hurt their run defense.

I'm talking our ability to run vs. them. We usually run well vs The Jets. The Pats we don't. You'll see Sunday when Willis gets stuffed repeatedly. Their gonna be daring Bledsoe to beat their depleted secondary, 'cuz they believe he can't.

Also. Marshall Faulk managed only 66 yards versus the same supposedly "hurt" run defense. And that was on his home turf.

I'm talking our ability to run vs. them.    We usually run well vs The Jets.  The Pats we don't.  You'll see Sunday when Willis gets stuffed repeatedly.  Their gonna be daring Bledsoe to beat their depleted secondary, 'cuz they believe he can't.

108992[/snapback]

Bah...usually mean nothing right now.

If you are talking about any game in past years, we have a new coaching staff, a better compliment to Moulds to help keep the DB's honest, and a FB who is blocking the hell out of people.

If you are talking about the first game...we now have McGahee.

But, as always, we shall see.