What's the most random jersey you've ever seen?

Why yest it was!

But I have a great story to go with it. The day I picked it up at Al Ross after like a $10 job to sew on a nameplate....I went bowling with some friends. The Lord works in mysterious ways, as who walks in and gets a lane near us???.......Mark Maddox and Oliver Barnett. I schit you not!

I had the jersey in a bag in my car and ran out to get it. I went over and asked him to sign it, at which time his wife went gaga. "I've never seen one of those.....where did you get that...oh my god!" She was great, and so was Maddox. I didn't have the heart to tell them it was a retread, but I did say I got it at Al Ross. Maddox signed it and I still have it today.

I have one other great jersey story. I lived in Miami for 10 years and would go to Florida Panther games. I am a big guy so it is hard for me to get a jersey that fits right. JC Penney had a Panther jersey in an alternate color of bright yellow....thing was this wasn't even an alternate jersey of theirs. I would get comments all the time because here is some huge dude in a traffic cone of a jersey....but people liked it.

So I am in Buffalo the week of the NHL draft. I go to the arena to check it out. I am getting a beer with my friend when someone yells, "Nice Jersey!....Schitty Team!". I turn around, and it is Doug McLean, who used to be coach for the Panthers and a GM. He had just been fired the past season and it was a little ugly aftermath. I laughed...but he was such a cool guy, he comes over to me to start asking how I am and what I was doing in Buffalo. We talked for a good 5+ minutes and he even introduced me to his family. What a genuine, no BS guy.

Great stories! Maddox was a good guy and a good player who had a nice career considering he played Division II football. Speaking of former Division II guys who played linebacker for the Bills, I met Eugene Marve once (I was a busboy at a nice restaurant and he and his gorgeous wife came in for dinner). I was pretty sure it was him so when I had a moment (to not piss off the waiters) I approached the table and asked "Does Saginaw Valley State mean anything to you?" They both broke out into big smiles and Eugene said, "Yeah, that's where I went to school!" As it turns out it was an anniversary of sorts for them and we chatted for awhile. Then he asked me to take their picture. Then he asked me to clear their dinner plates (just kidding). Anyways he was a real nice guy. Later on when I covered the Bills I was in the locker room trying to interview Jim Haslett, who was being a real jerk, and Marve came up (his locker was next to Haslett's) and he said "Hey you're the guy from the restaurant!" We exchanged pleasantries for awhile and shook hands. Super nice guy. John DiGorgio also played at SVSU but I don't have any DiGorgio stories.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic