LOCK T.O. UP

Guest dog14787

I think the franchise tag is the worst idea yet. TO is playing this year for 1 more contract of 3 or so years. If we franchise him he will pout and sulk all year. Let him play this year and then move on. That was the beauty of the deal in the first place. He can't keep up the pace forever. Even a marvel like Marvin Harrison has fallen off. Even if he starts off well, it's the old dating a stripper analogy. It may seem amazing in the beginning, but you have to resist the temptation to lock it up long term (engagement) because you know it will end badly at some point.

I also really hope that Reed is the #3, and not Parrish. I've posted before that I think Reed will be a huge part of the offense this year.

I doubt TO would "pout and sulk" at getting a 1-year salary of $10M.

Guest dog14787
Yes. By all means.. :thumbsup:

Why would the F.O. rework TO's contract, mere months after they just signed him to a new contract as a F.A.? Let alone why would they lock up a 35/36 year old receiver for the long term? He has a couple... MAYBE 3 good years left IMO.

Lee Evans caught 63 passes for 1,017 yards 3 TD's in the 08 season.

At the age of 40 Jerry Rice caught 92 passes for 1,1211 yards and 7 TD's and earned another trip to the pro bowl( his 13th) a year earlier Rice caught 83 passes for 1,139 yards and 9 TD's

Terrell Owens has been following in Jerry Rice's footsteps his whole career. Same drive, same work ethic, same superb body shape and conditioning. Terrell Owens leads the league with 38 TDs over the last three years.

Terrell Owens isn't going to stop until he owns the record books for a WR in the National Football League.

Like I said, the franchise tag is an option at the end of the year... That doesn't mean it will happen... I honestly think T.O. is stop-gap while James Hardy develops and gets back into things after his injury. Hardy will hit that "magical" 3rd year in 2010 and could take off... If that happens, they don't need T.O.

Another thing to consider is that T.O. was brought in to help ticket sales... Some people were pissed when Jauron was retained. Wilson needed a band-aid for that. People got excited again when they signed Owens... Now if the coaching staff fails yet again, the next incentive to keep season ticket holders around might be a new, higher-priced coach.

Ultimately, I think re-signing or more likely franchising T.O. depends on two things... James Hardy's development and how much we win this year. Regardless, I highly doubt the organization locks up Owens before the season is over. They will wait and see how the season plays out...

As much as I liked the T.O. signing, one of the reasons I liked it was that it was a one year deal at a reasonable salary for a player of his productive caliber. That makes it important for him to behave, to produce, and to be a team oriented player as much as possible. He might have been represented poorly by the media, or they might have made more of his words than he might have meant in the past, and this might be the best place for him - nevertheless (I think it will be good for us this year), he should be a mentoring influence on our younger WR's and, by next year, we should be deep enough at the position where we'll be o.k. without him, if the asking price is too much. It's funny how last year our WR core was a weakness, and with one addition, now it is so very deep and such a strength - because, if that is true, we should have some capable guys besides T.O. and Evans. Next year it should be a case where if the money is right, and both sides want it, then do it. I just don't think, at his age, one last mega contract should be the goal. Keep it team oriented.

Guest dog14787
As much as I liked the T.O. signing, one of the reasons I liked it was that it was a one year deal at a reasonable salary for a player of his productive caliber. That makes it important for him to behave, to produce, and to be a team oriented player as much as possible. He might have been represented poorly by the media, or they might have made more of his words than he might have meant in the past, and this might be the best place for him - nevertheless (I think it will be good for us this year), he should be a mentoring influence on our younger WR's and, by next year, we should be deep enough at the position where we'll be o.k. without him, if the asking price is too much. It's funny how last year our WR core was a weakness, and with one addition, now it is so very deep and such a strength - because, if that is true, we should have some capable guys besides T.O. and Evans. Next year it should be a case where if the money is right, and both sides want it, then do it. I just don't think, at his age, one last mega contract should be the goal. Keep it team oriented.

T.O. in all actuality is better then our one and is the main reason our group of WR's is rated so highly now.

I think the franchise tag is the worst idea yet. TO is playing this year for 1 more contract of 3 or so years. If we franchise him he will pout and sulk all year. Let him play this year and then move on. That was the beauty of the deal in the first place. He can't keep up the pace forever. Even a marvel like Marvin Harrison has fallen off. Even if he starts off well, it's the old dating a stripper analogy. It may seem amazing in the beginning, but you have to resist the temptation to lock it up long term (engagement) because you know it will end badly at some point.

I also really hope that Reed is the #3, and not Parrish. I've posted before that I think Reed will be a huge part of the offense this year.

I think the only idea involving the tag is simply one to wait and see. See how he performs in 09.

If he sucks or is a demonstrable cancer in his first year (though this is doubtful he will be such an idiot as his habit with other teams has been to win fan adoration his first year and then screw it up afterwards) then let him walk.

If he ihas a great year on the field but shows no sign of being a cancer then by all means show him the money unless there are some objective signs which he may be a cancer then let him walk away.

Lets see also how well Hardy or Johnson do in terms of giving us options. Deciding tag him now or extending him would just be dumb.

However, it is being loaded at WR which gives me the most hope for what I think at best is going to be a learning OL. Our coaches need to be aggressive and put the WRs into the best position to win by going 3WR and no huddle as much as possible. They will force opposing Ds to play on their heels as they zone up to deal with attacking WRs. This in turn will allow the young OL to not have to worry as much about where will the pass rush come from facing 8 in the box. A spread O with 3 speedy WRs will force D to assign enough players to cover the zones or dt if they go man to man. This will leave the OL and the vet Hamgartner to assign blocking tasks which clearer one on one assignments for the young OL.

Agree :devil:

I said this 2 months ago a 3-year deal worth 5 million a year and a signing bonus of 5 million. In total, the deal is 3 years 20 million. He is an elite physical specimen and a marketing tool like know other. I say get this deal done today. he is better than 75% of the receiving corp even at 36 or 37 y/o.

Guest dog14787
I think the only idea involving the tag is simply one to wait and see. See how he performs in 09.

If he sucks or is a demonstrable cancer in his first year (though this is doubtful he will be such an idiot as his habit with other teams has been to win fan adoration his first year and then screw it up afterwards) then let him walk.

If he ihas a great year on the field but shows no sign of being a cancer then by all means show him the money unless there are some objective signs which he may be a cancer then let him walk away.

Lets see also how well Hardy or Johnson do in terms of giving us options. Deciding tag him now or extending him would just be dumb.

What cancer, T.O. never has been a cancer in my opinion and you base your entire decision on something false which( with all due respect because you are an intelligent and insightful poster) seems, well, DazedandConfused. Why not stick to the facts.

Unless you want to call a cancer someone who scores more points then anyone else in the league.

If T.O. has another great year on the football field like he always does, everyone and their mother is in a bidding war for T.O.'s services and the Bills lose. ( especially if T.O. stays in our division)

D U M B

Why not ask RW if the money T.O. helps him make is dumb. Negotiating a deal now early on could save millions and help keep the best WR in the league here in Buffalo.

This team needs some veteran leadership and T.O. has allot to offer if folks would just let him lead. When you see Ray Lewis up in someones face do you automatically think he is stirring up trouble. I just don't get it and I'll say this again,

What can T.O. do that he's not already doing, he practices harder than anyone, he plays harder than anyone, he scores more than anyone, good grief, give T.O. a break here,

and while we're at it we should give T.O. some well earned respect.

Jerry Jones: Dont know where youre goin

Only know just where youve been,

I miss my sweet T.O., I want you again.

T.O. :Take it easy Jerry, let them say what they will.

Will your tongue wag so much when I send you the bill?

Guest dog14787

Most valuable players when they are in the last year of their contract a new contract is normally being negotiated so it seems odd to me that the idea of doing so is deemed unnecessary and even dumb by some posters here on TSW. The notion of a rookie stepping up and doing any where's near the job that one of the best WR that ever played the game can do is about as intelligent as thinking your future security is set because your going to win the lottery.

If we were questioning T.O.'s abilities on the field I may see some logic to letting the season play out and take our chances at seasons end to see if T.O. produces, but we are not questioning T.O.'s abilities on the field, or at least anyone with any common sense isn't.

I can only hope our FO is seeing things a little differently.

Most valuable players when they are in the last year of their contract a new contract is normally being negotiated so it seems odd to me that the idea of doing so is deemed unnecessary and even dumb by some posters here on TSW. The notion of a rookie stepping up and doing any where's near the job that one of the best WR that ever played the game can do is about as intelligent as thinking your future security is set because your going to win the lottery.

If we were questioning T.O.'s abilities on the field I may see some logic to letting the season play out and take our chances at seasons end to see if T.O. produces, but we are not questioning T.O.'s abilities on the field, or at least anyone with any common sense isn't.

I can only hope our FO is seeing things a little differently.

You can renegotiate a contract only after a year has passed.

If T.O. has another great year on the football field like he always does, everyone and their mother is in a bidding war for T.O.'s services and the Bills lose. ( especially if T.O. stays in our division)

TO had a great year last year. There was no bidding war for his services. He signed with the first team to call his agent.

Guest dog14787
TO had a great year last year. There was no bidding war for his services. He signed with the first team to call his agent.

The Buffalo Bills were just lucky they caught T.O. at a vulnerable time in his life, he probably would have signed with almost anyone. Plus everyone also thought T.O. must have done something horribly wrong in Dallas for Jerry Jones to release him, but come to find out T.O. didn't do anything wrong.

Now with T.O.'s new reality show doing a major overhaul on his image and he has a good season with the Bills which he always does, T.O's comes out smelling like a rose and even Jerry Jones wants him back and is willing to pay dearly. Especially after seeing what his departure does to the Cowboy Offense this season.