Job seeking

Just trying to get some advice for my son. He`s been trying to find a job in his field since graduating from college with a Bachelor of Science degree.Enviromental geo science.. He has come up empty around here ,yeah I know north cenral Pa. State college area. He is working on flat roofs now till he finds something. It helps pay his loans. And he makes33 dollars an hr on some jobs. The kid is getting fustrated with even going to college now. Anyone out there know of anything in this field? <_<

$33 an hour, I'd say keep doing that work. I've been unemployed since April, I have an M.B.A., and would jump at a chance to do manual labor that paid that much. He needs to be patient and wait for the economy to improve. There's plenty of people doing work that they didn't go to school for just to make ends meet. Maybe look at some internships that would give him experience and his foot in the door.

Tell him welcome to the club. Can't get a job without experience, can't get experience without a job. No one in small town usa is hiring college grads when they can hire someone with less education for a cheaper price. I graduated in 2003 and I'm still looking for a full time gig to come through. My MBA will be done in December and so far all my education has gotten me is in debt.

Tell him welcome to the club. Can't get a job without experience, can't get experience without a job. No one in small town usa is hiring college grads when they can hire someone with less education for a cheaper price. I graduated in 2003 and I'm still looking for a full time gig to come through. My MBA will be done in December and so far all my education has gotten me is in debt.

Yeah he`s even thinking about joining the national guard ,which will pay off his loans. Time for a change??

$33 an hour, I'd say keep doing that work. I've been unemployed since April, I have an M.B.A., and would jump at a chance to do manual labor that paid that much. He needs to be patient and wait for the economy to improve. There's plenty of people doing work that they didn't go to school for just to make ends meet. Maybe look at some internships that would give him experience and his foot in the door.

Yeah he`s also sub teaching at the local high school in the winter. I don`t feel so bad now after reading about you guys also. Good luck.

National guard isn't a bad idea. If I don't get a decent job by this fall, I'll be going air guard or USAF Reserve so I at least have some benefits and can get some more job experience on the side

National guard isn't a bad idea. If I don't get a decent job by this fall, I'll be going air guard or USAF Reserve so I at least have some benefits and can get some more job experience on the side

if your serious PM me and ill give you some honest info

I was in a similar situation that your son was in. i have a BA in a related physical science field that i found out i couldnt do much with... i am currently in the air guard and i landed my current career by using good ol' monster.com

no joke i built up a resume full of random skills through various jobs ive had in my late teens/early 20's and combined with my education i have a decnent amount of "general" experience. i put a half way decent resume on monster.com and i had forgotten all about it and 3 months after i uploaded my resume i got a phone call from a company that wanted to interview me. and thats where i am working now 2.5 years later, and not really related to my field but through the experience i accumulated it actually worked out well.

i would tell your son to keep working at the 33$ an hour job... even if its not what he wants odds are that will be tough to beat. i would trade my job for that.... but if he is serious about the Guard, it really is a good deal for the right person in the right situation (its not for everyone but its great for a lot of people)

if your serious PM me and ill give you some honest info

I was in a similar situation that your son was in. i have a BA in a related physical science field that i found out i couldnt do much with... i am currently in the air guard and i landed my current career by using good ol' monster.com

no joke i built up a resume full of random skills through various jobs ive had in my late teens/early 20's and combined with my education i have a decnent amount of "general" experience. i put a half way decent resume on monster.com and i had forgotten all about it and 3 months after i uploaded my resume i got a phone call from a company that wanted to interview me. and thats where i am working now 2.5 years later, and not really related to my field but through the experience i accumulated it actually worked out well.

i would tell your son to keep working at the 33$ an hour job... even if its not what he wants odds are that will be tough to beat. i would trade my job for that.... but if he is serious about the Guard, it really is a good deal for the right person in the right situation (its not for everyone but its great for a lot of people)

If he has to PM you for honest info, does that make the rest of your post a lie? :)

You think he's upset now? Wait until he actually starts his career and isn't making anywhere near $33 an hour.

He should be looking for internships, volunteer work in his field. That's how he'll get his foot in the door. And by looking, I mean actively persuing, not waiting to see something on careerbuilder.

I just thought it was odd that you had to offer that info in a PM. Why not just post it for all to read?

because its getting off topic compared to what this thread was intended for....

if he has questions i would be happy to answer them, but im not trying to hijack the thread.

Just trying to get some advice for my son. He`s been trying to find a job in his field since graduating from college with a Bachelor of Science degree.Enviromental geo science.. He has come up empty around here ,yeah I know north cenral Pa. State college area. He is working on flat roofs now till he finds something. It helps pay his loans. And he makes33 dollars an hr on some jobs. The kid is getting fustrated with even going to college now. Anyone out there know of anything in this field? :lol:

I've been the field for twenty years and find that nobody is hiring. At least he has a job!

Yeah he`s even thinking about joining the national guard ,which will pay off his loans. Time for a change??

I would steer clear of the Guard if he actually wants to use his skills. The Navy has many many programs that will not only give him the experience in the field of his choice (minus day care provider and vetrinarian) but help him get a job after his tour is up.

I have been a Navy Recruiter for the last 8 years so if you have any questions just let me know and I will answer them the best I can.

Steve