You Can't Reason with Thugs

I've worked for unions that have done the same. "Work 80 hours a week, we're only paying you forty. If you don't, we're shipping you back to India."

Like I keep saying, there's good and bad unions. Just like there's good and bad companies.

And it bears repeating: you can't blame unions for the ridiculous concessions that employers accept from them. If UAW workers sit on their ass all day and get full pay and benefits to do nothing, that is not the fault of the union. It's the fault of the automaker for accepting that deal. In fact, I'd argue that the union did an amazing job getting that kind of lazyass, do-nothing, worthless, non-productive job for their members. Given the opportunity, most Americans would rather sit on their ass doing nothing all day.

We can criticize the unions for promoting laziness, maybe, but not for the deals they got someone else to accept.

I've worked for unions that have done the same. "Work 80 hours a week, we're only paying you forty. If you don't, we're shipping you back to India."

Like I keep saying, there's good and bad unions. Just like there's good and bad companies.

And I have said the same thing. I just tired of people stating that all unions = lazy people, death to companies, are thugs, etc., etc. Furthest from the truth.

And it bears repeating: you can't blame unions for the ridiculous concessions that employers accept from them. If UAW workers sit on their ass all day and get full pay and benefits to do nothing, that is not the fault of the union. It's the fault of the automaker for accepting that deal. In fact, I'd argue that the union did an amazing job getting that kind of lazyass, do-nothing, worthless, non-productive job for their members. Given the opportunity, most Americans would rather sit on their ass doing nothing all day.

We can criticize the unions for promoting laziness, maybe, but not for the deals they got someone else to accept.

And you can't blame unions for the way companies are managed. Although, give them credit... especially the UAW. They have given up so much in order to help that company. Restructured pensions, health care benefits, salaries, etc.

Now since you bring up the "lazy" union worker. I have stated time and time again that THAT is one problem with the labor movement. Sometimes they protect the wrong people. I understand why they back those people, although it does a disservice to the union and their members as a whole who bust their butts everyday. Now what is to be done about those non-union workers who are lazy and are being protected by someone in management? Same thing right - they should be written-up, (create a case file) happens again.. can them.

Reset Button :unsure:

“The U.S. thinks it can just turn the page,” said Fyodor Lukyanov, editor of Moscow-based Russia in Global Affairs magazine and a member of the Russian Council on Foreign and Defense Policy. “In Europe and Russia, historicism is very deep. You can’t just hit the reset button.”

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton symbolically presented Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov with a “reset” button at their first meeting in March -- only to find that the gag fell short because the Russian label was mistranslated as “overload.”

Medvedev today used his regular video blog to invite Obama to open a new chapter in relations based on a “purely pragmatic agenda.” At the end of the five-minute clip, Medvedev can be seen in his office talking on the phone with Obama, telling the U.S. president he’s “impatiently” awaiting the summit.

Russia has resisted U.S. efforts to stiffen international sanctions on Iran, opposes any further expansion of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization into former Soviet territory and objects to basing the missile-defense system in eastern Europe. The U.S. opposed Russia’s recognition of the Georgian breakaway regions of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent countries after Russia fought a five-day war with Georgia last August.