interesting baseball story

Gordio

So I am getting a haircut before I go to work today & as I am waiting I pick up SI magazine & they have this article on this high school baseball player in Las Vegas. This kid sounds absolutely amazing. He is only 16, plays catcher, pitches reliev once in awhile(dad does not want him pitching full time), he has been clocked at 96 mph. Played in a tournament at Tropicanna Field & hit the longest homerun in THE HISTORY OF THAT STADIUM. Hit another homerun in playing back in las Vegas that was measured at 570 feet!!! Earlier this year, was in a tournament where he went 15-16 with 14 homeruns. Scouts have said he is probably major league ready right now. They grade him higher then they did Junior or Arod when they were 16. A scout said if he went out for the draft this year he would of been selected #2(right behind the pitcher for SD ST). No pitchers will even pitch to him when he plays in the high school games anymore. His parents are trying to get the major leagues to waive the minimum requirement age for the draft or they were going to let him get his ged & sign him up for Junior college next year, where he would face pitchers that would not always intentionally walk him. Article states he is super fast also, scoring from home on wild pitches 6 different times this season when he was on 2nd base. Anybody live out in Vegas or out west? I would just like to know the buzz going on about this kid or if anybody has seen him play. He sounds like he is a once in lifetime player.

Sid Finch was better.

You, know, that was exactly what I was thinking when I read the article. It sounds almost made up. It is not even close to April Fools day so I am thinking it is legit.

So I am getting a haircut before I go to work today & as I am waiting I pick up SI magazine & they have this article on this high school baseball player in Las Vegas. This kid sounds absolutely amazing. He is only 16, plays catcher, pitches reliev once in awhile(dad does not want him pitching full time), he has been clocked at 96 mph. Played in a tournament at Tropicanna Field & hit the longest homerun in THE HISTORY OF THAT STADIUM. Hit another homerun in playing back in las Vegas that was measured at 570 feet!!! Earlier this year, was in a tournament where he went 15-16 with 14 homeruns. Scouts have said he is probably major league ready right now. They grade him higher then they did Junior or Arod when they were 16. A scout said if he went out for the draft this year he would of been selected #2(right behind the pitcher for SD ST). No pitchers will even pitch to him when he plays in the high school games anymore. His parents are trying to get the major leagues to waive the minimum requirement age for the draft or they were going to let him get his ged & sign him up for Junior college next year, where he would face pitchers that would not always intentionally walk him. Article states he is super fast also, scoring from home on wild pitches 6 different times this season when he was on 2nd base. Anybody live out in Vegas or out west? I would just like to know the buzz going on about this kid or if anybody has seen him play. He sounds like he is a once in lifetime player.

I read a follow-up story in which they actually google-mapped one of his famous 570-foot home runs. Sure enough, it was about 570 feet.

I read a follow-up story in which they actually google-mapped one of his famous 570-foot home runs. Sure enough, it was about 570 feet.

"Man that ball got outta here in a hurry. I mean anything travels that far oughta have a damn stewardess on it, don't you think?"

You, know, that was exactly what I was thinking when I read the article. It sounds almost made up. It is not even close to April Fools day so I am thinking it is legit.

It is. He's playing summer ball in the Oklahoma City area. From someone who works out there: "The kid just moved to our area for the summer and possibly for next school year. Tonight, through five innings, he's 4 for 4 with 2 home runs, a triple off the centerfield wall, a broken bat single and 5 RBIs."

Not sure if this is the same game he was talking about:

http://www.newsok.com/the-bryce-harper-sho...article/3376753

Kid has a great swing. Hopefully he keeps his head on straight, stays healthy, and things pan out for him. A Yankees fan though..... :thumbsup:

The parents are already talking to Scott Boras and trying to figure out ways to game the draft. Not thrilled about that, although the story I linked does make it sound like the kid doesn't have an attitude himself.

The parents are already talking to Scott Boras and trying to figure out ways to game the draft. Not thrilled about that, although the story I linked does make it sound like the kid doesn't have an attitude himself.

The story in SI praises the kids attitude & work ethic. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.