How important is the Monday night game against New England?

I believe the game is A.- critical

Any time you can win a game in New England ( considered a top 5 NFL team) the confidence factor can be huge.

If the Bills have any weaknesses, the Patriots will exploit them.

If the Patriots can not take advantage of the weaknesses, then perhaps they really are not weaknesses at all.

Lets face it guys, if you beat the Patriots on the road, in front of a national audience, you can beat any team.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it benefits the Bills to play the Patriots their first game, although at home would've been best. The Patriots are one of the very best teams at preparing for opponents. Remember that quote from a Patriots player who said they devised an entirely different game plan for the Bills every time they played them? I'd rather not give them any hints as to how we're planning on looking either side of the ball. And, although Brady is generally good under pressure, I doubt he'll be at his best his first game back, with (hopefully) a bunch of Bills chasing him down wanting to put the hurt on him. He probably will have his injury in the back of his mind, and if he gets hit hard a few times, he might get jumpy. So, those are two big factors that play in the Bills favor, that might not be there later in the season. I'm looking for the Bills to pull an upset there, or at least make it close. That does have significance for the Bills as a team, too. They are all riding on this year, as opposed to the last three, where they could chalk things up to learning, and growing. They've learned, grown, and made key additions, and are banking on winning this year, or they'll be starting from scratch next year with new coaches and probably a bunch of new players. So, to start off this crucial year looking like they are deserving of the playoffs, looking like they are a team to take serious, is important. If they go out and the O-line looks terrible, and we can't stop Brady and Co., then it could get into the minds of the team, and they might have that in the back of their heads - that they can't get it done against good teams. They have to wonder a bit about how good their coach is. So, all things considered, I'd say it has a good deal of importance, more mentally and emotionally. We've got to play good, and we have some advantages.

We are going to absolutely light them* up - Trent Edwards, T.O., Lee Evans, & Co. will put on an offensive clinic for Belicheat* and Bundchen*, who* will spend most of his* time on his* back, gazing up at the sky, wondering what hit him....

Our BuffTown Bills 34

Provincetown Patriettes* 0

19 and 0 baby!!! B-)

GO BILLSSS!!!!

PosLUSZny!!!!! ;)

I don't get it, is Brady getting raped? I'm not mad if he is, just wondered.

:thumbsup:

I think it benefits the Bills to play the Patriots their first game, although at home would've been best. The Patriots are one of the very best teams at preparing for opponents. Remember that quote from a Patriots player who said they devised an entirely different game plan for the Bills every time they played them? I'd rather not give them any hints as to how we're planning on looking either side of the ball. And, although Brady is generally good under pressure, I doubt he'll be at his best his first game back, with (hopefully) a bunch of Bills chasing him down wanting to put the hurt on him. He probably will have his injury in the back of his mind, and if he gets hit hard a few times, he might get jumpy. So, those are two big factors that play in the Bills favor, that might not be there later in the season. I'm looking for the Bills to pull an upset there, or at least make it close. That does have significance for the Bills as a team, too. They are all riding on this year, as opposed to the last three, where they could chalk things up to learning, and growing. They've learned, grown, and made key additions, and are banking on winning this year, or they'll be starting from scratch next year with new coaches and probably a bunch of new players. So, to start off this crucial year looking like they are deserving of the playoffs, looking like they are a team to take serious, is important. If they go out and the O-line looks terrible, and we can't stop Brady and Co., then it could get into the minds of the team, and they might have that in the back of their heads - that they can't get it done against good teams. They have to wonder a bit about how good their coach is. So, all things considered, I'd say it has a good deal of importance, more mentally and emotionally. We've got to play good, and we have some advantages.

I am glad we are playing them in the first game, hopefully the Bills will give something they have not seen before from Buffalo.

I'll go with B:

It will be the initial litmus test to see how the TO experiment works out.

It will show whether the triumvirate of DJ, Fewell & Snert are committed to changing direction or repeating the sins of the past.

It will show whether TE has gotten his nerve back and his legs under him.

It will show whether FJ & DR can pull the load with ML out on suspension.

It will show whether they have a replacement for Royal at TE or not.

It's not as important that they win the game as it is playing a solid, competent and competitive one.

The first game is going to open everyones eyes. Especially the offensive line. N.E. is going to show the Bills different defensive formations they have not seen before. I believe the Pats Defense is going to stymie the Bills no huddle offense.

We are up against a great coach. The Bills defense needs to be at the top of their game or we could see a New England blow out against the Bills.... Our coaches better have our guys well prepared for the unexpected. It could demoralize this club and set T.O off. If the Bills get out coached, he will let everyone know it. Yes this is a important game win or lose.

It is all about how we play the game that will count the most. This is especially true for the coaches for they are really on the hot seat going into this season... The front office has done a respectable job during the off season.

Do you have statistics to back this up?

Sorry, I don't have stats to back up that statement. I should have said, "in my opinion, no teams have done less after big wins or more after bad losses in the past nine playoff-less seasons."

Go ahead and make more out of the first game of the season, win or lose, if you want to. I will be taking them one game at time, to borrow the aged old saying, until the Bills really do clinch a playoff spot next year, or ever.

Does close count at all here? If the Bills get drilled 56-10 or 31-0 again (lord I hate to have to add 'again' to that sentence), are the Bills just going to get discouraged for the rest of the season? Would a shootout loss (37-34, say) be half as good as a win?

The division game count more than most, without those wins no playoffs. We must win the division and the rest of the 10 games can be split and we would most likely enjoy football in january.

Oh is that all they have to do? Just go 6-0 in the AFC East, and split the other 10 games to finish an easy 11-5-0? That should be no problem.

How about a somewhat more realistic prediction here. If the Bills can manage to go 3-3-0 in their tough division this season, and then a nice 7-3-0 record the rest of the way, for a 10-6-0 6th place finish in the AFC and a playoff game for the first time in 10 years. I'll take that in a heart beat.

Stop making the first game at New England their Super Bowl, and prepare for another 16 game marathon, folks. Would anyone really be shocked if Lindell kicked an OT field goal to upset the Pats in week one, we spend a week reveling in the win and the media attention, and then the Bills came out flat and lost at home to the Bucs the very next week? Come on, it is a looooong season, and every game means as much as the one before it. :thumbsup:

Losing the game will not mean the end of the season. But, IMO, if it's a loss, then it better be a close game, one that the Patriots had to fight hard for. If they look like they're confident in their ability to beat the Patriots, and play that way, go punch for punch, and lose by a score at the end, then they could rebound. Anything could happen, and I don't pretend to know how things will unfold, but it looks to me like the Bills need to appear strong enough in game one to play with the big boys. A win would do a lot for them. A bad loss could have the reverse consequences. I don't think they're good enough, or confident enough yet to overcome a bunch of losses early. I think they need a fast start to the season, at least be in the hunt when their bye comes around, or we could see a new coach mid season.

Does close count at all here? If the Bills get drilled 56-10 or 31-0 again (lord I hate to have to add 'again' to that sentence), are the Bills just going to get discouraged for the rest of the season? Would a shootout loss (37-34, say) be half as good as a win?

I really want the win but a close game should prove we are a competitive team....

We can always get them in Buffalo

It would appear the Bills roster is pretty much set for the 2009 season and barring any last minute additions, we will hit the road on opening day on Monday night in New England with the present roster minus the waived players after pre seaaon.

The media will certainly focus on the return of Tom Brady in New England and the addition of Terrell Owens to the Bills roster.

Freddy Jackson will most certainly share some of the spotlight with 136 yards on 27 attempts in last years match up.

So, how important is game one of the season?

A. Critical

B. Very important

C. Just another game

A. Critical

The Bills went 0 and 6 against the division. That cannot happen again if we wanna make the playoffs. It all starts here. This one is important.

A. Critical

The Bills went 0 and 6 against the division. That cannot happen again if we wanna make the playoffs. It all starts here. This one is important.

If we win then it critical

Should we lose.....then it's just another game (lol)

It is as important as any of the 15 other games on the Bills schedule....

I want this defense to pressure Brady and the offense to run the ball and keep the Patriots off the field.

I don't want Edwards to come out of the game and say that he was confused by the Patriots defensive scheme considering that he has had 4 games of experience against them.

It is as important as any of the 15 other games on the Bills schedule....

I want this defense to pressure Brady and the offense to run the ball and keep the Patriots off the field.

I don't want Edwards to come out of the game and say that he was confused by the Patriots defensive scheme considering that he has had 4 games of experience against them.

First off, it is more important than the 10 games outside of the division. Getting a win and handing out a loss to a divisional foe is a double positive, especially on the road. IMO, it is the most important game on the schedule as it stands now. Things will certainly change as the season goes on.

This team hasn't shown anything against the Pats in a long time. Every Bills fan, player, and employee is waiting for the tide to turn. It will undoubtedly happen at some point but who knows when. If the Bills find a way to beat the Pats on opening day, the energy will be through the roof. With Brady returning from injury and the Pats slowly declining it is entirely possible. IMO, another blowout loss would be just as damaging. I know that it would only be the first game of the season but it would set the tone.

I hate to say it but a close game would be a moderate victory for the Bills. If the team competes and loses a back and forth type game, it would show that the Bills are close. This type of game could be the starting point of a franchise on the upswing. I know some will say a loss is a loss but that is not true. Getting humiliated on a big stage again is not the same as losing a close one. The players would certainly know the difference.

The coaching staff has had an entire offseason to get ready for this game. Their are no excuses for the coaching staff, players, or fanbase. This team will not be taken seriously until it beats the Pats. This offseason has been filled with many question marks and fans are split on many issues. We will get a good idea about alot of things in the very first game.

First off, it is more important than the 10 games outside of the division. Getting a win and handing out a loss to a divisional foe is a double positive, especially on the road. IMO, it is the most important game on the schedule as it stands now. Things will certainly change as the season goes on.

This team hasn't shown anything against the Pats in a long time. Every Bills fan, player, and employee is waiting for the tide to turn. It will undoubtedly happen at some point but who knows when. If the Bills find a way to beat the Pats on opening day, the energy will be through the roof. With Brady returning from injury and the Pats slowly declining it is entirely possible. IMO, another blowout loss would be just as damaging. I know that it would only be the first game of the season but it would set the tone.

I hate to say it but a close game would be a moderate victory for the Bills. If the team competes and loses a back and forth type game, it would show that the Bills are close. This type of game could be the starting point of a franchise on the upswing. I know some will say a loss is a loss but that is not true. Getting humiliated on a big stage again is not the same as losing a close one. The players would certainly know the difference.

The coaching staff has had an entire offseason to get ready for this game. Their are no excuses for the coaching staff, players, or fanbase. This team will not be taken seriously until it beats the Pats. This offseason has been filled with many question marks and fans are split on many issues. We will get a good idea about alot of things in the very first game.

Completely agree,

100 percent agree

If they win this game the will be full of confidence and I truly hope it happens.

It would appear the Bills roster is pretty much set for the 2009 season and barring any last minute additions, we will hit the road on opening day on Monday night in New England with the present roster minus the waived players after pre seaaon.

The media will certainly focus on the return of Tom Brady in New England and the addition of Terrell Owens to the Bills roster.

Freddy Jackson will most certainly share some of the spotlight with 136 yards on 27 attempts in last years match up.

So, how important is game one of the season?

A. Critical

B. Very important

C. Just another game

not very...lots of teams play poorly the first game and make the playoffs...

then again, any win against the Patriots is huge...