On paper...

Guest dog14787

Guest dog14787
Another person who has obviously not played football. You skipped the entire offensive line and barely mentioned the defensive line. They say games are won in the trenches for a reason.

We don't need a bunch of fat boy, high dollar, Jason Peters type players to do well on the O-line, we need cohesive play, something I think we have a better shot of having this year then we did last season. As far as defense goes, we lost our best player in Aaron Schobel last season and the Bills defense suffered badly because of it. Do you even remember what our defense was starting to look like before Schobel went down, give me a break, and now we have some pass rush help with Maybin.

I like our defense, its fast and its talented.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On paper this team is vastly improved over last years team. Special Teams was #1 last year. It will be on top again or close to it. Defense Was 14th last year... Now with a improved pass rush, a new quality FS in Byrd, McCargo looking like a 1st round pick I believe the Bills can improve to 10th or 12 best in the league. Offensively the Bills improved by subtraction. Gone are Losman, Peters, Dockery, Fowler, Preston and Royal to name a few. The front office replaced them with better talent and willingness to win... The offense with T.O adding spark and talent will be better.

On paper we still have the fumbling, bumbling, coaches who they themselves lost games for the Bills last year.

Turk called plays the announcers called before the ball was snaped...... that's ugly

Perry did not have the Bills defense ready for the Cardinals game last year. The players told the media they were not ready for that offense... Blame goes to the defensive coaches

Then there is the head coach who everyone loves and admires but the fans. He is a great organizer and can run a club from top to bottom except on game days when he screws up over and over with the clock and substitutions. He does not take charge when things go wrong. It would be better if he were a stronger on field coach during games.

On paper this team still looks like the 4th best team in the division with the same old coaches not improving...

I dont see how you can balem the coaches. There is bad weather, dammit, that is the issue here!

The reality of it is allot is riding on this season, players, coaches, even the FO is going out on a limb here, do you honestly think we would bring T.O. in for one year if our FO and ownership didn't think our team was close to being a playoff contender? Sure its a brilliant marketing move, but Ralph Wilson brought T.O. into Buffalo to do one thing, get us over the hump and into the playoffs.

The reality is the excuses are over for this coaching staff, every team goes through growing pains, its time to get the job done.

I honestly beleive they brought him in for one year out of sheer desperation. Besides, whether they think they are close to the playoffs or not doesn't really matter. My opinion that this is a rebuilding year isn't based on what the team hopes they will do this year. It is based on the fact that we ditched a pro bowler and are shuffling the entire line around including injecting two rookies and a lower tier FA. The O-line is the fundamental building block of a successful offense and we just pretty much threw ours into the trash can in favor of starting over from scratch. Again, it looks like a reload kind of year to me.

Maybe we will get lucky with scheduling. Maybe Schobel has another good year in him. Maybe Trent will go downfield more. Maybe Lynch will stay out of jail. Maybe a whole new line full of rookies will turn in to a play off caliber offensive line instantly. You never know. If all of that happens, it could be a great year.

Man, why do you even root for the Bills?

Because I have enough IQ points to recognize the faults, as well as the virtues, of the people and things I love. And I can do it all at the same time.

I understand though that there are those who can't hold two opposing thoughts at the same time and people like you, so afflicted, have my sympathy and understanding.

See, I like you even though you are an idiot. See how that works?

We don't need a bunch of fat boy, high dollar, Jason Peters type players to do well on the O-line, we need cohesive play, something I think we have a better shot of having this year then we did last season. As far as defense goes, we lost our best player in Aaron Schobel last season and the Bills defense suffered badly because of it. Do you even remember what our defense was starting to look like before Schobel went down, give me a break, and now we have some pass rush help with Maybin.

I like our defense, its fast and its talented.

Why do you think there will be more "cohesion" produced by:

1. 2 of the same players, at different positions no less.

2. a lower tier FA who was unable to secure a starting position until now

3. 2 rookies

Is "cohesion" more important than talent? What do you mean by cohesion? Do you mean knowing the plays? I am sorry but that just sounds like a cliche to me. They all need to know the plays and know who has who when the blitzers fly but that is the result of knowing the playbook, the scheme and making fast, accurate judgments. And even then, that just gets you in the right place, it doesn't keep you from getting beat by a better player. That takes talent and experience. We have guys who have one or the other, but not both.

This could be a good line in years to come or perhaps by the second half of the year but I think it is unreasonable to expect too much out of this unit this year. Clever game planning, play calling and execution by the skill guys will have to carry this offense this year.

On paper this team is 7-9. First it was hype around Fred fricking Jackson, which I found funny. Now the Bills have one of the best WR cores in the NFL. You have the 2nd best WR core in your own division. Josh Reed?????? Seriously. What has Trent Edwards done to show he is anything more than JP Losman? There is a strong chance the Bills O Line could end up being the worst in football. This team would have to overachieve to finish better than 7-9.

Edwards was rated in the top 5 QB's in the NFL for the first 4 or 5 games last year. I would say that shows he has displayed the talent and the potential to do it again, for more than 5 games. We shall see this season. He certainly has more weapons to work with.

Edwards was rated in the top 5 QB's in the NFL for the first 4 or 5 games last year. I would say that shows he has displayed the talent and the potential to do it again, for more than 5 games. We shall see this season. He certainly has more weapons to work with.

And he looked like garbage for 11-12 games. Seriously, he may end up being a decent QB, but he hasn't proven to be anything yet.

Guest dog14787
Why do you think there will be more "cohesion" produced by:

1. 2 of the same players, at different positions no less.

2. a lower tier FA who was unable to secure a starting position until now

3. 2 rookies

Is "cohesion" more important than talent? What do you mean by cohesion? Do you mean knowing the plays? I am sorry but that just sounds like a cliche to me. They all need to know the plays and know who has who when the blitzers fly but that is the result of knowing the playbook, the scheme and making fast, accurate judgments. And even then, that just gets you in the right place, it doesn't keep you from getting beat by a better player. That takes talent and experience. We have guys who have one or the other, but not both.

This could be a good line in years to come or perhaps by the second half of the year but I think it is unreasonable to expect too much out of this unit this year. Clever game planning, play calling and execution by the skill guys will have to carry this offense this year.

So when we do well on offense this season it was the clever game planning, play calling and execution by the skill guys we have to thank, Gotcha, nice way to cover all the bases using that high IQ you were just bragging about recently.

Individual talent doesn't mean the O-line will play well together as a unit and its pointless to argue with somebody who is already convinced our O-Line will be worse than it was last season, but in case you didn't notice we have a Pro bowl running back who couldn't seem to hit the 100 yard mark and a QB who's dumping the ball off constantly because of poor line play.

Do you really think we can be much worse on the O-line than we were last season because personally, I don't, time will tell though I suppose, time will tell.

So when we do well on offense this season it was the clever game planning, play calling and execution by the skill guys we have to thank, Gotcha, nice way to cover all the bases using that high IQ you were just bragging about recently.

Individual talent doesn't mean the O-line will play well together as a unit and its pointless to argue with somebody who is already convinced our O-Line will be worse than it was last season, but in case you didn't notice we have a Pro bowl running back who couldn't seem to hit the 100 yard mark and a QB who's dumping the ball off constantly because of poor line play.

Do you really think we can be much worse on the O-line than we were last season because personally, I don't, time will tell though I suppose, time will tell.

you must have started watching the Bills just last year.

The OL of the last 2 years performed light years better than the version of the 15 years before that.

The line gave Trent time to throw and there were few outright jailbreaks.

To answer your question, the OL might be better than last year if 2 rookies make the quantum leap to the NFL, a career backup at C suddenly turns into Kent Hull and a fat slow RT suddenly loses 60 lbs and gains the quickness and strength needed to handle speed rushers on his own at LT.

or they hit a few bumps in the road and we are back to the seive we had for 15 years as the rookies learn and they look for a real LT.

Guest dog14787
you must have started watching the Bills just last year.

The OL of the last 2 years performed light years better than the version of the 15 years before that.

The line gave Trent time to throw and there were few outright jailbreaks.

To answer your question, the OL might be better than last year if 2 rookies make the quantum leap to the NFL, a career backup at C suddenly turns into Kent Hull and a fat slow RT suddenly loses 60 lbs and gains the quickness and strength needed to handle speed rushers on his own at LT.

or they hit a few bumps in the road and we are back to the seive we had for 15 years as the rookies learn and they look for a real LT.

We had a pro bowl RB and a good O-line, but couldn't seem to get first downs running the ball, hmmm :ph34r:

I think teams that draft and develop O-line players the way we develop DB's year in and year out are the teams that stay strong. Having to Spend 8-10 million a year for a good lineman is just to much in my opinion, but you have to draft and develop new players to avoid it.