Happiness is.............

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is this happiness measured?- Is this like the good Christian girls who report on surveys to never have premarital sex- and yet somehow end up unmarried and pregnant at even a greater rate than their less religious counterparts- and if right-wingers are so happy why does it seem that most of those murder suicides where the guy offs his family then does himself seem to be right wing nuts.

No real surprise here. It stands to reason that people who take responsibility for their own happiness surely will find it a lot faster than those who rely on the government to provide an outlay of happiness based on their income. I suspect it won't take too much time before the current administration starts realizing that certain people have too much happiness and should give up some of their happiness to those who rely on the government for everything.

You know why you are sort of right? Some people who have to give become unhappy. Me personally, I won't become unhappy no matter how much I have to give. It won't beat down my spirit.

Always fall in with what you're asked to accept. Take what is given, and make it over your way. My aim in life has always been to hold my own with whatever's going. Not against: with. ~Robert Frost

It does kind of fly in the face of the point of view that republicans are just stupid angry white men. Why worry? Be happy....

They only become that way (just stupid angry white men) when they HAVE to share... See LA's post above. Of course they have been happy the last 8 years... Just watch the misery commence! Have you ever seen a bunch of kindergarterners stomp their feet? Just go to a "tax tea party" or what not.

:devil:

How is this happiness measured?- Is this like the good Christian girls who report on surveys to never have premarital sex- and yet somehow end up unmarried and pregnant at even a greater rate than their less religious counterparts- and if right-wingers are so happy why does it seem that most of those murder suicides where the guy offs his family then does himself seem to be right wing nuts.

You can say that again... Kinda hits this very these boards right in the nuts, if you know what I mean. Some "have" all the "happiness" in the world until they didn't know how to deal with a loss. But, some will say that is a "physical thing" and glorify it all.

Weakness at the spiritual mind.

:devil::unsure:

Good thread topic BTW!

A dying civilization is not necessarily bad (from the earth's "perspective" that is).

:devil:

With tolerance where do we draw the line? Obviously there will be values that don't get tolerated.

Believe me i'm VERY tolerant. I even tolerate right wing and religious nuts!

I said:

"Peace in the end."

That means on your death bed/dying bed and how one will handle accepting death. True, we never know what will take place, but every little bit helps!

so it's not "MAY" , it's sure i will not be at peace! damned, life 's too short and this world too big !! Even if you live 100 years all you can do is scratching the surface!!

so it's not "MAY" , it's sure i will not be at peace! damned, life 's too short and this world too big !! Even if you live 100 years all you can do is scratching the surface!!

So you are not satisfied? (red) What other reason for feeling restless at the end? How can one be "happy" (as you say you are) then?

So you are not satisfied? (red) What other reason for feeling restless at the end? How can one be "happy" (as you say you are) then?

to be happy is first to be unsatisfied ... to be happy is to be hungry, hungry to eat everything this world has to offer.

here's a translation (that i did so sorry if it's not too good) of "le dernier repas" a song by the great Jacques Brel, IMO the greatest french speaking songwriter ever...

That is how i see that whole sh..

Le dernier repas, "the last meal"

For my last meal I want to see my brothers

My dogs and cats and the sea shore

For my last meal I want to see my neighbors

And some chinese pretending to be my cousins

And i want us to drink some church wine

And this beautiful wine we drank in Arbois

I want us to eat after a few fat friars,

A pheasant hen coming from Perigord

Then they'll bring me at the top of the hill

To see the trees sleep closing their arms

And then i'll throw some stones to the sky

Shouting "God is dead" one last time.

For my last meal I want to see my mule,

My hens and my geese, my cows and my women

For my last meal i want to see those funny girls

For whom i was master and king or who were my masters

And once i'll have drink enough to drown the Earth

I'll break my glass to have some silence

And i will then sing to the coming Death

Some slob romances that frighten the nonnes

To see the night falling on the plain

And there still standing i'll insult the hoosiers

With no fear or remorse one last time

For my last meal, i want everybody to leave

So that they finish their banquet out of my house

After my last meal i want them to sit me alone

As a king welcoming his vestales

In my pipe i'll burn my childhood memories,

My unfinished dreams, my remining hopes

And i'll keep to dress my soul only the idea of a rose,

And the name of a woman

Then i'll watch the top of the hill, it dances, it vanishes,

And finally sinks in the smell of the flowers,

That soon will disappear, and then i'll be afraid,

One last time

to be happy is first to be unsatisfied ... to be happy is to be hungry, hungry to eat everything this world has to offer.

here's a translation (that i did so sorry if it's not too good) of "le dernier repas" a song by the great Jacques Brel, IMO the greatest french speaking songwriter ever...

That is how i see that whole sh..

Le dernier repas, "the last meal"

For my last meal I want to see my brothers

My dogs and cats and the sea shore

For my last meal I want to see my neighbors

And some chinese pretending to be my cousins

And i want us to drink some church wine

And this beautiful wine we drank in Arbois

I want us to eat after a few fat friars,

A pheasant hen coming from Perigord

To see the trees sleep closing their arms

And then i'll throw some stones to the sky

Shouting "God is dead" one last time.

For my last meal I want to see my mule,

My hens and my geese, my cows and my women

For my last meal i want to see those funny girls

For whom i was master and king or who were my masters

And once i'll have drink enough to drown the Earth

I'll break my glass to have some silence

And i will then sing to the coming Death

Some slob romances that frighten the nonnes

To see the night falling on the plain

And there still standing i'll insult the hoosiers

With no fear or remorse one last time

For my last meal, i want everybody to leave

So that they finish their banquet out of my house

After my last meal i want them to sit me alone

As a king welcoming his vestales

In my pipe i'll burn my childhood memories,

My unfinished dreams, my remining hopes

And i'll keep to dress my soul only the idea of a rose,

And the name of a woman

Then i'll watch the top of the hill, it dances, it vanishes,

And finally sinks in the smell of the flowers,

That soon will disappear, and then i'll be afraid,

One last time

So happiness is empowerment. From what you are saying, it sure sounds like it.

So happiness is empowerment. From what you are saying, it sure sounds like it.

i'm not sure of the exact meaning of "empowerment".

If that means gaining control, knowledge, security it's not what i mean at all.

At the contrary, i think happiness is more a (man they gonna kill me for using this "so french" term!) surrender. In that meaningless life, don't lose your time trying to control things, people, let it go, enjoy your time, your "ride", open your eyes, travel, love, read, smell, taste, listen, go for the home run everyday and don't accept at any cost that others even try to control anything in your life.

Oh yeah. I'm certain you have real statistical evidence to back up that inane comment.

Oh yeah. I'm certain you have real statistical evidence to back up that inane comment.

Just saying and to put it gently, the two incidents that happened with regards to past posters on this board both innvolved right-wingers. Not exactly statistical proof... But, they (murder suicides/suicides) are the only two I have ever known closely (even if you want to call "closely" to mean talking on the internet).

Again, just saying and no disrespect. It would be fascinating to actually get numbers (if that is even possible). I wonder if it tips one way or the other. Even if it did tip one way, I am sure it may not be the be all and end all of accuracy.