If Rhodes and Fred run wild the first 3/4 games of the season...

Does ML get that much playing time in game 4/5 or even the starting nod?? I for one didn't like how Peters slid back into his spot after we won all the games and the O-line played like crap the rest of the year (even though more difficult opponents contributed to poor play). By my definition of running wild, I am talking 150 yards or more combined on the ground.

What does everyone here think?

Does ML get that much playing time in game 4/5 or even the starting nod?? I for one didn't like how Peters slid back into his spot after we won all the games and the O-line played like crap the rest of the year (even though more difficult opponents contributed to poor play). By my definition of running wild, I am talking 150 yards or more combined on the ground.

No Lynch is a much better talent than Rhodes. If our ground game runs good its more of a product of the offensive line clicking right away than Rhodes being a beast. However if Fred Jackson impresses than I could see him getting more work as a reward maybe 40/40/20 Lynch/Jackson/Rhodes than eventually more emphasis on Lynch.

Don't worry its not likely to happen anyway unless we drafted the best two guards in the draft and signed the most underrated center in the NFL and Walker plays well at left tackle and Butler was really a good right tackle all along instead of a slightly above average guard. Our o-line will be improved but LT is a big hole and the o-line will not click right away.

I think the Bills see Fred Jackson as a ten to twenty touch player a game, to rest Marshawn, and to go two back sets with him; and to replace him if he gets injured. They see Rhodes as a backup to the backup, taking that role from Jackson when Marshawn is out. I think the signing of Rhodes was a good signing, and not only is insurance for Lynch's absence in the first few games, but also an indication that they'd like to be able to count on the run all season, at any time, in much the same way Indy uses backs - both running and catching. But Marshawn is their guy unless he gets hurt or gets into trouble again, or for some reason his play just goes totally in reverse - which I don't see happening. The guy is a beast, who hasn't had a good line yet, and still impresses.

Lynch will get plenty of time, if only because he is consistent and can take a beating. Lynch averages fewer yards than freddy, has a smaller repertoire of running plays he is good at, and isnt as good of a reciever, but he consistently gains tough yardage and makes the defense work hard to bring him down. He has improved throughout his career to date. I expect Lynch to be effective for us again this year.

Our offense is straightforward. We dont use a lot of H-backs, wing backs, tight ends split out a couple yards or offset running backs. I hope we can find a way to use Rhodes and Freddy in sets, get the ball to Roscoe, use Reed in a Hines Ward type of role, and get the ball to our recieving tight ends, because if we dont it will be a major waste of the talent on this team.

This team is begging for a Schottenhiemer or Joe Gibbs type of offense.

Rhodes is a hard working RB that truthfully, just isn't much more than a younger version of Anthony Thomas. You know, he is a good guy---he tried hard, but he just doesn't really have the talent to be much more than what he is...

a 3.5-3.7 yards per carry guy with good hands that can catch the ball well out of the backfield. In fact, this might be his best trait of all--his receiving skills may prove more valuable to us than his running...however I don't see Rhodes being in Jackson's category in either---Jackson would be a 1200-1300 yard rusher if he was the full time back with the Bills, and Jackson is an exceptional receiver out of the backfield---look at the Jacksonville game and the Denver game from last year---Jackson showed some really good hands and receiving skills and was extremely elusive as well after catching the ball...

I keep saying it, but I cannot help but think of how much Jackson reminds me of Thurman Thomas...obviously he isn't as good as Thurman, but just the way he is so slippery on runs where he bounces away from people and always seems to find ways to elude tacklers who have him lined up, and then he can catch the ball much better than most backs as well...

Barring injury, no matter what happens while he is out, Lynch is still the unquestioned starter as soon as he returns. You can't compare his situation to Peters last year. Lynch will be there the entire training camp and preseason working with the team and staying in shape. Peters sat at the local Dunkin Donuts until he decided to show up and was way out of physical and game shape. Nothing Jackson or Rhodes can do on the field will affect Lynch's touches.

How does that work after the rookie season?

It's based on length of service in the NFL, I think. I recall reading he is still eligible, although I could be wrong. Not sure how many games he was active (I think 3), last year, but he only played in 2.

Guest dog14787
I think the Bills see Fred Jackson as a ten to twenty touch player a game, to rest Marshawn, and to go two back sets with him; and to replace him if he gets injured. They see Rhodes as a backup to the backup, taking that role from Jackson when Marshawn is out. I think the signing of Rhodes was a good signing, and not only is insurance for Lynch's absence in the first few games, but also an indication that they'd like to be able to count on the run all season, at any time, in much the same way Indy uses backs - both running and catching. But Marshawn is their guy unless he gets hurt or gets into trouble again, or for some reason his play just goes totally in reverse - which I don't see happening. The guy is a beast, who hasn't had a good line yet, and still impresses.

Marshawn is our best RB but it would not surprise me if he has to work his way back into the starting role if we go 3-0 or 2-1 during his absence.

It's based on length of service in the NFL, I think. I recall reading he is still eligible, although I could be wrong. Not sure how many games he was active (I think 3), last year, but he only played in 2.

Right on, thanks. I definitely do not want to see him get cut, just for the simple fact that Lynch can't seem to stay out of trouble.

Marshawn is our best RB but it would not surprise me if he has to work his way back into the starting role if we go 3-0 or 2-1 during his absence.

Uh...no. But you might see Fred and/or Rhodes get more carries than they would have. You seriously underestimate Lynch's talent. Fortunately, the coaches don't.

Guest dog14787
Uh...no. But you might see Fred and/or Rhodes get more carries than they would have. You seriously underestimate Lynch's talent. Fortunately, the coaches don't.

I don't underestimate his talent as much as I question his character, two totally different things.

ummm, I did just say he's the best RB we have and I personally think we have two more very talented RB's besides Lynch.

Dean In my opinion you underestimate what the coaches may do if the Bills perform well without Marshawn and Fred Jackson has a couple of one hundred yard games while he's gone.

So get real. :w00t:

I think Oman may have to go on the practice squad.

who's the best 3rd-&-short or 4th-&-short back of the three? i hate to count the number of times we've thrown away good drives because of failing to convert short downs

I don't underestimate his talent as much as I question his character, two totally different things.

ummm, I did just say he's the best RB we have and I personally think we have two more very talented RB's besides Lynch.

Dean In my opinion you underestimate what the coaches may do if the Bills perform well without Marshawn and Fred Jackson has a couple of one hundred yard games while he's gone.

So get real. :w00t:

If the backs get those kind of yards, it is due, primarily, to good offensive line play. Are you suggesting the line won't play well Lynch is in the game? I thing the coaches, and other intelligent and objective observers, will assume that Marshawn would have performed equally well, if not better, had he been available.