For french speaking football fans

Salut Olivier,

I lived in France (Nantes) for 4 months and it's tough to follow football there.

Besides the NBA is far more popular in France than the NFL.

I followed soccer there anyway. France doesnt have the best soccer league in Europe, but in North American standards, it's excellent.

I watched the Bears-Colts Superbowl in France. It was quite an experience because the commentators were French. Being used to American and French Canadian broadcast, it was almost sureal. I could tell they were not used to the sport as the tone and rythmn of the play-by-play guy was completly off. Tough way to sell the sport thay way.

It's the same with soccer here. Watching a game with English or French (or even Spanish) commentators is much more exiting.

Marc in Montréal

:thumbdown:

As some of you know, i write for the only football magazine in France, the monthly "Elitefootmag". For a few months i take care of the blog of the magazine.

elitefoot.blogspot.com

I know a few french canadians come here and if some of you english speaking fans want to work on their french reading football stuff!...

I use Google translator to read it Oliver although only French I know is kissing.

I know the translator is not perfect but the prose is often better which is posted on this board or in blogs.

Dude it was a joke

Oliver's been round these parts long enough and knows it's all in jest

Hey Dev. Yes, it was a joke.

But it was stupid.

You've been around here a long time as well. Do better. It was just so goddamn stupid - not funny stupid, but fourth-grade-held-back-a-grade-oh-here-comes-my-short-bus stupid.

Jesus.

Hey Dev. Yes, it was a joke.

But it was stupid.

You've been around here a long time as well. Do better. It was just so goddamn stupid - not funny stupid, but fourth-grade-held-back-a-grade-oh-here-comes-my-short-bus stupid.

Jesus.

Get a sense of humor d-bag! <_<:lol:

I have a great sense of humor! And you really know how to slay 'em with your witty responses! Wowza, kiddo!

Perhaps you'll be slayed by this summary of French military history. BTW, does the position of humor police come with a shiny wittle badge?

Perhaps you'll be slayed by this summary of French military history. BTW, does the position of humor police come with a shiny wittle badge?

Christ, you're boring. Pray God your friends find you more interesting. I'm done here.

Christ, you're boring. Pray God your friends find you more interesting. I'm done here.

How interesting that you chose to retreat. Since you claim to have a great sense of humor, allow me to run a few by you...

Q: How do you confuse a French Soldier?

A: Give him a rifle and ask him to shoot it.

Q: What's the motto of the US Marine Corps?

A: Semper Fi (Always Faithful)

Q: What's the motto of the French Army?

A: Stop, drop, and run!

Q. Why don't Master Card and Visa work well in France? A. They do not know how to say "CHARGE!"

Q: What do you call a French man killed defending his country?

A: I don't know either, its never happened!

Q: Why do the French never perform “the wave” at a soccer game?

A: Because, that’s a gesture reserved for use only in time of war.

"What do you expect from a culture and a nation that exerted more of its national will fighting against DisneyWorld and Big Macs than the Nazis?" -- Dennis Miller

Raise your right hand if you like the French ... raise both hands if you are French.

Q: What English word has no equivalent in the French language?

A: Gratitude.

Why should we expect the French to help us liberate Iraq, they didn't help us liberate France!

Q: What's the shortest book ever written?

A: French War Heroes.

How interesting that you chose to retreat. Since you claim to have a great sense of humor, allow me to run a few by you...

Q: How do you confuse a French Soldier?

A: Give him a rifle and ask him to shoot it.

Q: What's the motto of the US Marine Corps?

A: Semper Fi (Always Faithful)

Q: What's the motto of the French Army?

A: Stop, drop, and run!

Q. Why don't Master Card and Visa work well in France? A. They do not know how to say "CHARGE!"

Q: What do you call a French man killed defending his country?

A: I don't know either, its never happened!

Q: Why do the French never perform “the wave” at a soccer game?

A: Because, that’s a gesture reserved for use only in time of war.

"What do you expect from a culture and a nation that exerted more of its national will fighting against DisneyWorld and Big Macs than the Nazis?" -- Dennis Miller

Raise your right hand if you like the French ... raise both hands if you are French.

Why should we expect the French to help us liberate Iraq, they didn't help us liberate France!

Q: What's the shortest book ever written?

A: French War Heroes.

American Special Forces follow the motto "Leave nobody behind"

The Greek Navy follows the motto "Never leave your buddies behind"

Anyway It is good to hear from you again Oliver. Good luck with the magazine!

Thanks Bill , i had not come here since the end of the season and i don't post much anyway on the main board. (i prefer the craziness of the PPP or the funny stuff of the "off the wall" board)... so it's just so funny to see the old jokes coming back from people who have no idea i saw them hundreds of time and have been one of the big big regular posters of the early days of this board!!

The magazine is doing OK, in our 5th season now. well no way we can think of making money with it but it's a nice tool of communication inside the small world of french football. The blog is a new thing where i am the main writer and so far we have good results.

i did not know that one but it's perfect for the one who say it to look stupid and ignorant!

what english word has no equivalent in the french language?

Gratitude IS a FRENCH WORD!! One of the few thousands the english use like "stupid" or "ignorant" for exemple! :devil::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t: you made my day!!!

i did not know that one but it's perfect for the one who say it to look stupid and ignorant!

what english word has no equivalent in the french language?

Gratitude IS a FRENCH WORD!! One of the few thousands the english use like "stupid" or "ignorant" for exemple! :devil::P:devil::devil::devil: you made my day!!!

Well then, that joke is on me. I hope you had a good laugh. I would also like to take this opportunity to explain to you that my intentions were not to participate in a hijacking of this thread, nor am I some kind of seething French hater. I just found it very annoying that some people got up-in-arms over a couple of jokes on a football message board. One of the offended then turns around and slurs learning disabled school children.

oh-here-comes-my-short-bus stupid. :doh:

So, good luck and continued success with your magazine and blog.

Bien amicalement,

BF4L.

I have been getting e-mails from the magazine for a while now. For those who enjoy trying to figure out francais the magazine is a good challenge. In the last issue that I received, there was also mention of three other sports sites en francais:

sports.fr

sport24.com (includes a tiny bit of hockey!!!)

sport365.com (site was recently down and may no longer operate)

Historians would know that the French were instrumental in helping the colonists defeat the Brits to form the United States. The French settled in the Buffalo / Western New York area on their way from what is now Quebec to New Orleans. One of the theories of the naming of Buffalo has to do with the francais expression "beau fleuve" (meaning beautiful river - the Niagara) which when anglicized sounds like Buffalo. And as far as I could tell there were no Buffalo native to WNY! This subject actually came up on the TV show Jeopardy!

http://www.beaufleuve.com/history.html

Some of the streets in Buffalo have French names, ex: Lasalle (also the Niagara Falls high school) , Lafayette (also the Buffalo high school) and Frontenac.