Graham Harrell

He was down right horrible at the Senior Bowl. He can't throw a 10 yard out.

Yes he was HORRIBLE at the Senior Bowl. He looked like JP out there short-hopping 10 yard passes. If we were a team that ran a system like he played in while at TTU, I'd take the guy in a heartbeat. He excels in a shotgun setting, but we don't really run much shotgun. There really aren't any teams that do like in the late 80's and early 90's. I'm not sure he's anything more than a 3rd string/Practice Squad guy this year and it won't be with us because we have "The Chroise" :wallbash:

I don't disagree with what you're saying, my original underlying assertion is that Leach's ability to coach the game of football isn't as important as his ability to adjust to the power structure of the NFL front office and the fact that the players are not a bunch of kids busting their butts for their school and the opportunity of the NFL. They've made it and they often earn more than the head coach, so relating to them is very different than in college. And since Leach gets floated as Jauron's replacement I am responding under that assumption, though I do respect your opinion also and agree he could probably be a pretty good offensive coordinator.

As far as where I would want the plays called, that would depend on the QB. Some QB's have the ability to call their own game, some do not. Certainly the QB can pick up things on the field the offensive staff can't see/experience, but the offensive staff can see the entire field from the press box and pick up things the QB has difficulty seeing.

I don't think Leach would have any problem with front office power structure - he does have a law degree from Pepperdine, and he seemed to handle the Texas Tech AD and Chancellor quite easily in his latest contract 'go-round'. And at Tech he handles both the HC and OC duties, so I think he could handle either one in the NFL - though probably not both at the same time.

A lot of folks regret having underestimated...

Mike Leach

The truth is he was injured ( hand) at the senior bowl. If anyone has spent a

minute in Lubbock they wouldn't question his ability to throw at the Ralph, Lubbock,

Texas is where wind was invented.

Leach's system definitely values defnitely accuracy and intellect more than arm strength.

Harrell holds the NCAA record for career 300-yard games (32) and 400-yard games (20), is the only player in NCAA history to pass for 5,000 or more yards in two seasons, finished 4th in the Heisman Trophy balloting in 2008, and won the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award as a senior. He had almost 16,000 passing yards at Texas Tech, a completion percentage of 69.8%, and 134 TDs.

So, I think he can throw the football.

According to Mangini, Harrell was very impressive in his Cleveland tryout...

As for Harrell, Mangini said the 6-foot-2, 223-pounder made a good first impression.

"He's picked up the information easily, and he throws a very accurate ball," Mangini said. "I thought he did a nice job, not just with his throws but being able to run the offense."

link

Most career passing yards in NCAA history:

Timmy Chang, Hawaii: (2000-2004) 17,072 yards

Graham Harrell, Texas Tech: (2005-2008) 15,793

Ty Detmer, BYU: (1988-91) 15,031

Colt Brennan, Hawaii: (2005-07) 14,193

Philip Rivers, North Carolina State: (2000-03) 13,484

Kevin Kolb, Houston: (2003-06) 12,964

Tim Rattay, Louisiana Tech: (1997-99) 12,746

Luke McCown, Louisiana Tech: (2000-03) 12,666

Chris Redman, Louisville: (1996-99) 12,541

Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech: (1999-02) 12,429

Byron Leftwich, Marshall: (1998-02) 11,903

What, if anything does this mean?

Anyone else remember the summer the Bills had Kingsbury in camp? The one night practice I attended, the only throwing reps he got were simulated "punts" to the return men. Afterward, I told him, "I thought they were going to burn your arm out doing that ... and then I remembered where you played in college." He chuckled. Nice kid. They cut him a week later.

The truth is he was injured ( hand) at the senior bowl. If anyone has spent a

minute in Lubbock they wouldn't question his ability to throw at the Ralph, Lubbock,

Texas is where wind was invented.

Yeah, but in Lubbock he was always throwing with the wind. At the Ralph it's more of a swirling wind, which makes it more difficult. :devil:

Yeah, but in Lubbock he was always throwing with the wind. At the Ralph it's more of a swirling wind, which makes it more difficult. :w00t:
whats your theory?, he only threw 2 quarters a game? The wind never changes direction in Lubbock?