A question about our foreign policy

Campy

I hope one of you well-informed types can help me out here.

It seems that Israel is oftentimes the aggressor, or overly aggresive in their foreign policies. Since something like half of their budget comes in the form of US aid, why don't we lean on them a bit? Instead, we give them our blessing and turn our eyes while they at times do nothing but further destabalize the region.

FWIW: Although I understand that faith plays a huge part in that region's politics, I'm not knocking Judiasm, so please don't go there. Religions IMO don't need national boundaries. But again, the nation of Israel's actions (Mossad) seem to be all forgiven, yet we've condemmed, or even bombed, others for like actions.

Why is that? What is this fascination with Israel?

I won't be able to check in for a couple of hours, but any opinions and info on our love affair with Israel would be appreciated. Thanks, -C.

It seems that Israel is oftentimes the aggressor, or overly aggresive in their foreign policies.  Since something like half of their budget comes in the form of US aid, why don't we lean on them a bit?  Instead, we give them our blessing and turn our eyes while they at times do nothing but further destabalize the region.

FWIW:  Although I understand that faith plays a huge part in that region's politics, I'm not  knocking Judiasm, so please don't go there.  Religions IMO don't need national boundaries.  But again, the nation of Israel's actions (Mossad) seem to be all forgiven, yet we've condemmed, or even bombed, others for like actions.

Why is that?  What is this fascination with Israel?

I won't be able to check in for a couple of hours, but any opinions and info on our love affair with Israel would be appreciated.  Thanks, -C.

100933[/snapback]

We have in the past. I know a couple years ago we cut back something like $3 billion to them. This was in response to some of their expansion. I am not sure it had any effect except to give them more resolve to their cause.

The fascination is many fold, but

1) It was a country that the UN is supposed to support and prop up, af the attrocities from WWII. Since the UN seems unwilling the US seems to be doing their job. Common propblem with the UN.

2) It gives a true ally in the middle east.

3) Most of their expansionism has come as a result of winning war and refusing to give the land back that they have taken. You know I kind of agree with them. You want to attack me, then tough stevestojan when I kick your ass and take your land. Spoils of war.

It seems that Israel is oftentimes the aggressor, or overly aggresive in their foreign policies.  Since something like half of their budget comes in the form of US aid, why don't we lean on them a bit?  Instead, we give them our blessing and turn our eyes while they at times do nothing but further destabalize the region.

FWIW:  Although I understand that faith plays a huge part in that region's politics, I'm not  knocking Judiasm, so please don't go there.  Religions IMO don't need national boundaries.  But again, the nation of Israel's actions (Mossad) seem to be all forgiven, yet we've condemmed, or even bombed, others for like actions.

Why is that?  What is this fascination with Israel?

I won't be able to check in for a couple of hours, but any opinions and info on our love affair with Israel would be appreciated.  Thanks, -C.

100933[/snapback]

well since you disallow religion to be a part of the response i can't provide an opinion.

When you're attacked multiple times weekly, your response should be as an aggressor. Dont tell me you believe that if Israel just went into its shell and turned pacifist that the suicide bombings would stop?

If we were getting hammered like them, I'm sure you would be screaming for us to hit back hard.

well since you disallow religion to be a part of the response i can't provide an opinion.

100961[/snapback]

No, please do.

I guess I didn't choose my words very well. I just didn't want people to think I'm some sort of neo-Nazi with a hard-on for Israel/Judiasm or something.

OK, now I've really gotta' go. Thanks to those that've replied thus far, be back in a couple of hours...

When you're attacked multiple times weekly, your response should be as an aggressor.    Dont tell me you believe that if Israel just went into its shell and turned pacifist that the suicide bombings would stop?   

If we were getting hammered like them, I'm sure you would be screaming for us to hit back hard.

100971[/snapback]

No we "they" would call it a nuisance. Just like prostitution.

When you're attacked multiple times weekly, your response should be as an aggressor. Dont tell me you believe that if Israel just went into its shell and turned pacifist that the suicide bombings would stop?

They may if it was combined with a final agreement on a Palestinian state. Until it is tried we'll never know. Somebody has to be the first one to stop retaliating. Alot will depend on who becomes the spokeperson for Palestinians post-Arafat, will it be a moderate or an extremist.

The U.S. has always had a fascination with promoting freedom and democracy across the world.

100983[/snapback]

Aside from being not entirely accurate (we were dragged kicking and screaming out of our isolationist policies in the early 20th century), I just don't think that's it. I mean, we'll condone Israel's oppression of Palestinians and the denial of a Palestinian state?

The Palestinians don't like our support of Israel. If we aided them, we would double the number of allies in the region. It would also be a strong gesture appreciated by the moderate Muslims who we need to help us fight global terrorism.

Could we not have a hand in helping the Palestinians establish a parliamentary or republican government? I don't see where that would have adverse repurcussions...