Immediate Future or Long Term.....

Now that Peters has been traded, we have yet another gaping hole at another key position. Where does this leave us?

Imo, it leaves us with a poorly protected qb who does have a history of injuries that can't be denied. We also have one of the weaker defensive lines in football. Schobel is a question mark and the only other good player is Stroud. A case can be made that we have 2 good linebackers, but even this is a long way from a solid unit.

We now would seem to have good receivers, as well as a secondary that is laced with early draft picks. and some nice running backs. But, how do we translate this into wins in 2009? I am thinking that this will be extremely difficult to do, especially given our second rate head coach.

Because of the above, it makes sense imo to build for the future. I am a fan of Trent Edwards, in that I think he is good and can easily get better. But, at this point he will probably be playing a lot come from come from behind football given the defense, and all signs point to poor protection.

This is why we need to go after blockers and pass rushers. The signing of a journeyman guard shouldn't stop the Bills from grabbing a kid such as Levitre, even if he doesn't start right away. I am hoping for a LT who can step in now. He will have growing pains, but what choice do we have? Langston Walker? I think not.

Polian drafted OTs Glenn and Meadows at OT in rounds 1 and 2 in the year before he took Manning, and it worked rather well. I think we will have a very good idea about Trent after this season.

In summary, I hope that they go after the big guys. He already has TO to sell seats. Now is the time to plan ahead and make the Bills a long term winner. If Trent gets through this season, fantastic. If not, it will be time once again to grab a blue chip quarterback in 2010.

The Bills have a big opportunity here to stockpile talent in places where they are very weak. I hope they change their customary course and take advantage of it.

I think all the moves made have been for the "long term", except for the T.O. signing. Stroud, Evans, moving Peters, trying to get what we can for Parrish and Kelsay, possibly going after Henderson, all of this is for the long term state of our team. I think we are accepting that we might be mediocre again in '09 to be honest, but again building towards the future. I think Jauron is likely to be given a free pass again because of everything that's played out. Sad, but true. Hopefully we make the most of this draft with all of the picks we have and our scouting department gets it right.

In this age of FA and CAP long term no longer applies as the recent past should clearly show. When teams turn over up to a third of their players every year whats the long term atvantage of that.

Teams can win 3 games one year and be playoff teams the next.

Win now can be the only way to go.

The real long term building process should be in getting and keeping the best staff,where there is no cap on pay.