Why the long queues?

chicot

One thing that slightly puzzles me about this election is the way that some people had to queue for hours before getting to vote. Why is this the case? Is it that lots of people were trying to vote at the same time instead of there being a reasonable spread of numbers throughout the voting period or is it just that there was inadequate capacity for such a turnout? Surely there should be enough places to vote that people should be able to make their vote in a reasonable amount of time whatever the turnout. Having to wait hours before being able to cast your vote seems unreasonable to me.

One thing that slightly puzzles me about this election is the way that some people had to queue for hours before getting to vote. Why is this the case? Is it that lots of people were trying to vote at the same time instead of there being a reasonable spread of numbers throughout the voting period or is it just that there was inadequate capacity for such a turnout? Surely there should be enough places to vote that people should be able to make their vote in a reasonable amount of time whatever the turnout. Having to wait hours before being able to cast your vote seems unreasonable to me.

100203[/snapback]

We don't have queu's in the USA if you want one go back to france!!

WE HAVE LINES!!! and we have them because we like it that way!! its our way of being social with each other... :P

100203[/snapback]

It's likely because of spikes of voting before work, over the lunch break and after work.

100203[/snapback]

Over 114 million ballots cast. Isn't that something like twice the total population of the UK? Now imagine an urban precinct just after most of the population gets out of their day-shift jobs. Traffic jams at the polls, just like on the streets... I'm guessing that was most of the problem.

It's likely because of spikes of voting before work, over the lunch break and after work.

100221[/snapback]

YEah, what he said...

The reasons vary precinct by precinct. In mine, the line was 2 hours long at 7am, because people were trying to "beat the crowd" and vote early. There was another spike in volume at lunch...but by 4pm, there was no wait, since everyone went early. Fact is, people don't walk in at a constant rate. Most districts are probably characterized by long stretches of relative inactivity interspersed by a few intensely busy periods.

100203[/snapback]

Sorry. No money available for poll expansion. If you vote yea/nay on school funding issue that come out of your personal hide you would know that local resources are spent to get yutes to show up for school and give them a meal and charge overhead because their sometimes-managing unit (formerly known as "Mom and Dad") can't spend 5 minutes to make a peanut butter 'n jelly sandwich along with an apple and toss it into a paper bag. What a hardship. Of course, my district's menu includes just about every fried and saturated fat food known - the school system makes a 30% profit from the Feds on every artery-blocker they sell plus their tacked on overhead. It's a gravy business...:P

How's that for getting off the subject? :blink:

Seven AM....FIVE MINUTES in line.

And I live in Town of Hempstead in Nassau County, NY the most populated Township in the country.

The people running the precincts where there were lines are just flat-out doing something wrong.

Over 114 million ballots cast. Isn't that something like twice the total population of the UK? Now imagine an urban precinct just after most of the population gets out of their day-shift jobs. Traffic jams at the polls, just like on the streets... I'm guessing that was most of the problem.

100233[/snapback]

But the population is spread over a far larger area than the UK. I'm not sure that the places that had problems are significantly more densely populated than London, for example.