do we take Raji at 11?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raji may fall to us now, and I would take him or trade down if that is an option.

On talent, you take him immediately.

But because of the marijuana test, you have to interview him, look him in the face and ask him about his smoking habits and his future herb-related plans. Then you decide if you believe him. If he's going to continue smoking, you regretfully pass on him, because he will be caught on tests again and again, and will miss large blocks of time until he can quit.

Not to get off topic but I will for a second. I have been a hippie and avid drug user throughout my college career who graduated, got my MBA and no longer "smoke weed". I smoke cigarettes which do a lot more damage and drink regular which does a lot more damage and I can at least get and keep a job. I would be better off helath wise and sanity wise if I could smoke a joint once a week instead of going out for happy hour four nights a week with the friends from work but I can't. It is quite ridiculous for many reasons. If you get a chance, read "Can't Find My Way Home". Its a good, fairly balanced story on the history of drugs including the political side.

You are missing the point. About Raji, that is.

I've never smoked weed or tobacco, but won't mind if my kids do so some day. UNLESS ...

..they work in an industry that has regular unscheduled drug testing. Like, oh, gosh, I don't know, well, just for instance say .l.. the NFL. Smoking dope in the NFL is a big deal, not because it's bad for your health or evil or any crap like that. It makes you miss games with positive tests. Then you get tested more often and miss more games. And the wheel goes round and round.

Well, since he's not in the NFL, I don't think this counts as a violation (as far as I know), so I don't think he'll have any (official) strikes against him.

And, like most, I agree that smoking weed is a giant "Who cares?" But, that he picked this time to get caught, it does raise a red flag as to how bright, and committed he is, to becoming a top notch pro.

I think it's a small flag, but one that needs to be checked out. If everything else checks out fine, you grab him...nobody is perfect. But, a close examination might raise other question marks, too.

It is the NFL combine...

If he tests positive for any banned substance it counts as his first strike AND he will get much more testing throughout the season then a player who doesn't test positive, basically the NFL will be watching him like a hawk.

The NFL policy mandates a four-game suspension for a first steroids offense and a year for a second. Unlike its policy for street drugs such as marijuana or cocaine, for which there is no suspension until a second violation, a player who tests positive for steroids or a supplement is suspended for the first positive test.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2741136

According to the NFL's drug policy, a positive test for street drugs, which includes marijuana, puts a player into the initial stage of the NFL's drug program. He's then subject to random testing and subject to a fine or suspension if he tests positive again.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/foot...raji/index.html

Smoking weed is a habit of losers. If we want a loser on our team we should take him. Otherwise, we pass.
That is such a bulls@?T, narrow minded statement Warren Sapp is probably going to the hall of fame. He liked his smoke. If he is there at 11 you take him and say next

If you want to improve your teams it starts on the lines, Pass rushing DE are there every draft, difference making DT are very rare and he should be drafted by Buffalo if he is still there. I would rather have my players smoking weed than drinking any day legal or not. Alcohol is the worst drug in our society hands down followed closely by cigaretts

I appreciate your honesty, if only the rest of the Country would stand up and be that honest. :devil:

You guys have me convinced.

Do you know any pot heads we could draft in rounds 2-7 and seal our fate as Super Bowl Champs?

This seems to be a good strategy.

Smoking weed is a habit of losers. If we want a loser on our team we should take him. Otherwise, we pass.

Puff, puff, pass, actually.

I'd love to sign him. Sure this raises a question about trouble down the road, but that would be the only reason he'd be within our reach in the first place.

Sign him, and start promoting the legalization (and taxation) of pot!

Puff, puff, pass, actually.

I'd love to sign him. Sure this raises a question about trouble down the road, but that would be the only reason he'd be within our reach in the first place.

Sign him, and start promoting the legalization (and taxation) of pot!

This is the number one reason why legalization is only a matter of time. It would be a nice money maker. On a side note I find the whole pot crusade, bizarre. It's pointless and stupid that it is still illegal. At the same time I find it just as wierd that so many middle aged men get so passionate about weed. I haven't smoked since my early twenties and really don't have the urge too. I want too see the damn thing legalized because I'm sick of hearing the potheads whine. Of all the things you could be doing, you choose smoking weed? I guess, I just don't get the attraction. I got over the giggles and high, a long time ago. So legalize it, tax it, and smoke it in public for all I care.

This is number one reason why legalization is only a matter of time. It would be a nice money maker. On a side note I find the whole pot crusade, bizarre. It's pointless and stupid that it is still illegal. At the same time I find it just as wierd that so many middle aged men get so passionate about weed. I haven't smoked since my early twenties and really don't have the urge too. I want too see the damn thing legalized because I'm sick of hearing the potheads whine. Of all the things you could be doing, you choose smoking weed?

Dude you haven't been reading this thread. Smoking pot makes great football players. I was with you but after reading these three pages I have been convinced. I just hope a 2nd round Center and Third round TE bring their bongs to rookie camp.

It is the NFL combine...

If he tests positive for any banned substance it counts as his first strike AND he will get much more testing throughout the season then a player who doesn't test positive, basically the NFL will be watching him like a hawk.

The NFL policy mandates a four-game suspension for a first steroids offense and a year for a second. Unlike its policy for street drugs such as marijuana or cocaine, for which there is no suspension until a second violation, a player who tests positive for steroids or a supplement is suspended for the first positive test.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2741136

According to the NFL's drug policy, a positive test for street drugs, which includes marijuana, puts a player into the initial stage of the NFL's drug program. He's then subject to random testing and subject to a fine or suspension if he tests positive again.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/foot...raji/index.html

Well, it turns out you are right...thanks. The first article is kind of useless at demonstrating that, though. The best source is probably the actual NFL drug policy (pdf file):

http://www.nflplayers.com/images/fck/2008%...y%20(FINAL).pdf

It is a footnote, on page 1 (first page after the table of contents).

Thanks, again.

So we watch another(otherwise) good upstanding citizens singled out and put under the microscope for smoking weed.

Now it really needs to be a "concern", but not necessarily a major issue. It has to be looked at though, as it is the rule of the NFL, and you need your players on the field.

Of course, it may not even be true...right?

This is the number one reason why legalization is only a matter of time. It would be a nice money maker. On a side note I find the whole pot crusade, bizarre. It's pointless and stupid that it is still illegal. At the same time I find it just as wierd that so many middle aged men get so passionate about weed. I haven't smoked since my early twenties and really don't have the urge too. I want too see the damn thing legalized because I'm sick of hearing the potheads whine. Of all the things you could be doing, you choose smoking weed? I guess, I just don't get the attraction. I got over the giggles and high, a long time ago. So legalize it, tax it, and smoke it in public for all I care.

Yeah, and it's not just the money that would be earned through tax. We could stop spending so much money to police it, paying to prosecute, incarcerate etc.. And of course there's the much-cited taking money away from the criminals selling it today.

I used to smoke quite a bit of pot. At this point I think it would be fun way to spend an evening, though I recognize I largely have romanticized nostalgic feelings about weed.

I'm convinced weed is no worse than tobacco or alcohol for your health, and safer than alcohol when someone is acutely intoxicated. But, weed is definitely harder on you two days later. I have to be pretty sharp at work, and smoking weed often would be a significant liability.

Anyway, I know enough about pot and have known enough pot smokers to not be overly concerned about Raji. Weed is not chemically addictive, so it takes a special personality (behaviorally addicted) for this to be a real problem when the stakes are high. Dude, the stake are so high, heh, heh heh. What was I saying?

I have a strong feeling that Raji will be a bust. He has tremendous talent, but he has questionable judgment, is an idiot, lazy, and overweight.

Remember there were reports about Warren Sapp just before he was drafted that were very similar to what we are hearing about Raji. Now I can't say Raji will be another Sapp but it has worked out before.

The biggest hole on the Bills is the pass rush. Sure Raji will help colapse the pocket but that is only effective when you have some speed off of the edge. We MUST get a pass rush from the outside in order to make this defense work. You can't hang Mitchell and Poz in the 1 and 2 gaps to create pressure every play. I like Raji but he is no Warren Spap and DT's, are very slow to adapt to the NFL because the lineman are so much biger/stronger/faster. I can't think of the last rookie DT to make an impact. Rookie edge rushers routinely get 10 sacks and that is what we need from that 11th pick.

Peria Jerry fits the inside pass rushing mode...

Raji may fall to us now, and I would take him or trade down if that is an option.

the guy missed the 2007 season due to off the field issues and was too stupid to avoid testing positive for pot when he knew he would be tested

I'll pass