A Mock to Mock

Astrobot

I thought this would be a good feature here on TSW. I'll post a draft I've found in my mock munching and let everybody pick it to shreds!

Our first mock to mock comes from CBS Sports' Mike Lombardi. It starts to go south right around #11, IMHO, when the Bills choose between the #1 WR in Crabtree, the #1 CB (who many see as the #1 Safety), a hot DE in Ayers, a perfect Tampa2 DT in Jerry, the #1 RB in Knowshon Moreno described as the next Barry Sanders by some, the #1 Tight End, and other guys (Maclin, Everette Brown, Oher, Harvin, English, etc.). And we choose whom?

1. DET Matthew Stafford

2. STL Aaron Curry

3. KC Eugene Monroe

4. SEA Jason Smith

5. CLE Brian Orakpo

6. CIN Andre Smith

7. OAK B.J. Raji

8. JAC Mark Sanchez

9. GB Tyson Jackson

10. SF Aaron Maybin

11.BUF Josh Freeman

12. DEN Robert Ayers

13. WAS Michael Crabtree

14. NO Malcolm Jenkins

15. HOU Peria Jerry

16. SD Knowshon Moreno

17. NYJ Brandon Pettigrew

18. CHI Jeremy Maclin

19. TB Everette Brown

20. DET Eben Britton

21. PHI Michael Oher

22. MIN Percy Harvin

23. NE Larry English

24. ATL Clay Matthews

25. MIA Brian Cushing

26. BAL Evander Hood

27. IND Jarron Gilbert

28. PHI Shawn Nelson

29. NYG Kenny Britt

30. TEN Vontae Davis

31. ARI Donald Brown

32. PIT Max Unger

Is that for real?

That is the most insane mock I've ever seen. Its gotta be one of those walterfootball joke mocks. Like it's Emmitt Smiths mock or something, lol.

That's not what this is saying:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock

Yeah, that's a mistake. Just click on "complete information" at the bottom of Lombardi's draft on your own page there, and you'll see that Lombardi does make the trade with the Jets.

Pettigrew would be a VERY legit choice at the Jets spot, though they also might take English or Brown (who is unlikely to be available), Mack or Peria Jerry if he is still there.

You gotta look at it another way. For as crappy as Kelsey was last year, the Bills probably figure a rotation of Schobel, Kelsay, Denney, and hopefully a bulked up Ellis could be a solid unit again. Don't forget in 2006, they were one of the leading sack teams in the NFL (and our d-line outsacked the Giants).

At TE, we have 2 #2 guys at best (I do like Fine and Schoman's scrappiness). But all reports are that Pettigrew may be one of the safest pick in the 1st round. You can't whiff on 1st rounders and it would fill a big hole on this team that has been there for years. I'd love BP after a trade down.

I don't know if all reports say that. What I am hearing is that there is a ton of depth at TE. I would rather see them use that pick to fill the hole in the middle of the ol, or anywhere on the dl. I would love to see how Stroud looks with Jerry or Hood next to him. I also think it would help our DE's get closer to that '06 production.

If Josh Freeman were to be looked at as a prospect with a very good chance at being a top NFL QB, then the Bills should definitely not trade with the Jets who are in their division. That extra second round pick will look like chump change if that ends up being the case. Any other position, then yes. To give the Jets the chance to pick their star QB of the future? No way.

Now if Josh Freeman is really something else (Ryan, Flacco, Cutler), the Bills should at least "consider" picking him and trading Edwards for a second rounder (guaranteed he'd get that). Now I know there's no chance of the Bills doing this, but I do like to keep an open mind for different draft strategies.

In regards to Trent, I was so bummed out by his serious decline last season. His only two good performances after his impressive San Diego game was against the Chiefs and the Broncos, two of the worst defenses in the league. The other six games he pretty much sucked in and was a main reason why we lost. This was surprising since it looked like it all came so easy for Trent Edwards in his first season. Has the NFL figured him out? Will he ever go through a complete season without getting injured and missing games? There are still questions regarding Edwards.

Josh Freeman's size, mobility and arm strength are at least intriguing.