Pete Prisco says Bill's biggest need is TE

While I agree that the Bills do need a pass rushing DE to replace Kelsay. However, I don't agree that it is their most pressing need. If Schobel is fully recovered and is healthy the bills will field a decent pass rush this season.

Besides, Its doubtful that any player drafted at DE will step right in and be the monster pass rusher everyone wants, it usually takes a few years to develop pro skills to be a complete DE.

Looking back at last year and the stats for 08,the bills were much worse on offense then defense.The Bills released their starting TE and Fine is not gonna cut it as the starter.

The three tight ends returning on the Bills’ roster combined for just 25 receptions last season.

The bills need a complete TE, a good blocker and a good receiver and this position is not a luxury, its a necessity!

A really good TE will only add another dimension to the Bills passing offense,it will also be a huge help if they can block at the NFL level. Keeping Trent Edwards on his feet should be the Bills highest priority this season, a good blocking TE will help immensely!

I see only 2 choices for the Bills,either trade for Tony Gonzalez, Tony Scheffler, (both seem to be had by trade right now although Tony G turned down a trade to Buffalo last season),or draft Brandon Pettigrew. The latter gets my vote!

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&amp...49056&fhn=1

The bills need a complete TE, a good blocker and a good receiver and this position is not a luxury, its a necessity!

A really good TE will only add another dimension to the Bills passing offense,it will also be a huge help if they can block at the NFL level. Keeping Trent Edwards on his feet should be the Bills highest priority this season, a good blocking TE will help immensely!

I see only 2 choices for the Bills,either trade for Tony Gonzalez, Tony Scheffler, (both seem to be had by trade right now although Tony G turned down a trade to Buffalo last season),or draft Brandon Pettigrew. The latter gets my vote!

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&amp...49056&fhn=1

The problem with your line of thinking is that if the Bills are going to utilize the TE as an essential part of our offense, then they would NEED not only a hot starter, but a credible back-up for him for moments when he got dinged or simply give him a blow.

The problem with your formulation is that it is really tough to find this unusual hybrid of a player who is a "complete" TE as you label this player who is both a good receiver and a good blocker (a skillset which actually has two different parts of being a good pass protector AND being a good run blocker- these are two differing functions and a player can be good at one and not so foreboding on the other.

The problem is that given the stark NEEDS the Bills have on the OL and also important needs which we have at OLB and maybe on the DL, it is already a question as to whether it is a smart football move for us to spend both a high level draft pick AND FA/trade resources to get the hybrid player we need to be a complete TE.

I think you are demonstrably wrong in a couple of ways. ways.

First, most teams operate without having a complete TE (not to mention the NEED to have a plan B which means having two complete TEs on your roster). True the offense would be far better with these complete TEs but there simply are not 64 examples of the complete player you say is a NECESSITY and in fact there are not even 32 examples of what you claim is a necessity so that each team in the league csn at least have one of these allegedly necessary elements. How do virtually all teams in the NFL operate without this necessity you claim a team must have (or given the lack of enough quality TEs to go around why is TE not the most expensive position in the NFL. The market simply says a good TE is great to have but it is not the necessity you portray.

Second, your timeline is all wrong since even if the Bills could draft and train and train a talented rookie like a Pettigrew to be this pro hybrid you say is a necessity, it likely is going to be at least one and probably a couple of years until he gains the skills to be considered a complete TE (or are you willing to assert this rookie will contribute immediately). Are the Bills on a timeline which calls for them to make the playoffs for the first time this decade and if so how are the Bills set at this position you call a necessity and how much will we have to pay to get a starter and a credible back-up complete TEs?

I think you are demonstrably wrong in a couple of ways. ways.

First, most teams operate without having a complete TE (not to mention the NEED to have a plan B which means having two complete TEs on your roster). True the offense would be far better with these complete TEs but there simply are not 64 examples of the complete player you say is a NECESSITY and in fact there are not even 32 examples of what you claim is a necessity so that each team in the league csn at least have one of these allegedly necessary elements. How do virtually all teams in the NFL operate without this necessity you claim a team must have (or given the lack of enough quality TEs to go around why is TE not the most expensive position in the NFL. The market simply says a good TE is great to have but it is not the necessity you portray.

Second, your timeline is all wrong since even if the Bills could draft and train and train a talented rookie like a Pettigrew to be this pro hybrid you say is a necessity, it likely is going to be at least one and probably a couple of years until he gains the skills to be considered a complete TE (or are you willing to assert this rookie will contribute immediately). Are the Bills on a timeline which calls for them to make the playoffs for the first time this decade and if so how are the Bills set at this position you call a necessity and how much will we have to pay to get a starter and a credible back-up complete TEs?

First, almost every team in the NFL has a good tight end, a few have super stars at the position. I didn't say the Bills need a superstar. I stated they need a complete TE,one that can catch and block. Fine is a decent receiver but a lousy blocker,the rest are h-backs. so yea, the Bills need a complete tight end.

Second, Pettigrew is an instant starter,he dominated by blocking some of the so called great pass rushers in this years draft. He will step in and offer the Bills something they have almost never had, a really strong blocker and a receiver that can actually catch everything thrown his way. The last TE the Bills had that was this good at blocking was Pete Metzelaars.

The Bills could have had Tony G last season but he turned them down and stayed with KC. Tony Scheffler is currently on the market if the bills want to pursue a trade with Denver. the reason Scheffler is even on the market is because he is more of the receiving then blocking TE, but he would fill the role as the better receiver then Fine.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/22/...block/#comments

Derek Fine was injured for most of the season. He onlt played the last 3 or 4 games.

TE is luxury as stated before.

We don't need a pass catching TE since 90% of the plays called have TE in as an extra (much needed) lineman. The TE is an afterthought in the passing game since its role is primarly to block and secondly for check down outlet. (Since Edwards does check down quickly maybe the TE is primarily for pass catching)

Fine did well his last year in Kansas and showed a few flashes of talent at the end of the season.

There is plenty of talent in this year's draft at TE. There will be guys in 3-4 round that would be good to bring for depth.

1st or 2nd round TEs are a crap shoot in the NFL. There are alot more positions the bills need that can make an impact when drafted early like DE, LB CB

CB is much greater concern.

McGee is a free agent after 2009 and he is going to want a huge payoff for his 3rd contract, which the Bills wont give him. He will command high dollars around the NFL if he can still return kicks at 29.

This would be the time to bring in a CB. Florence was a decent sized dollar bust for Jacksonville, who knows if he still has it.

Even if he is right, which he is not since we do not have a starting Guard, it does not mean we pick the players in that order. That should be determined by the depth at each position of need, The availability of free agents and the overall quality ranking of players regardless of position.

You need to take each and every factor into account. Like the Steelers, and the Pats do. Not like the Bengals, Bills and Niners have done.

didn't he just sign a 5 year deal?

yeah, but managed to get the buyout clause removed, so it costs him nothing to leave texas tech.

leach has been in lubbock for 9 years and lately has expressed interest in HC openings at several schools w/bigger programs than texas tech, so he'd listen to any nfl offers.

bills should grab graham harrell with a 5th round pick - then they'd be ready for leach next season when jauron is gone.

yeah, but managed to get the buyout clause removed, so it costs him nothing to leave texas tech.

leach has been in lubbock for 9 years and lately has expressed interest in HC openings at several schools w/bigger programs than texas tech, so he'd listen to any nfl offers.

bills should grab graham harrell with a 5th round pick - then they'd be ready for leach next season when jauron is gone.

I seriously hope that doesn't happen.

There are some nut bags that are good coaches but are meant for the college game.

Leach's pirate flags and dating advice won't fly in the NFL.

Pete Carroll was\would not be a great NFL coach either.

I seriously hope that doesn't happen.

There are some nut bags that are good coaches but are meant for the college game.

Leach's pirate flags and dating advice won't fly in the NFL.

Pete Carroll was\would not be a great NFL coach either.

Neither was Steve Spurrier.

As a rule (but depending on any previous pro experience) I'm not real big on hiring a college HC to be a pro HC. I would much prefer NFL teams (and the Bills, when it comes to that) get a successful college HC to be the OC/DC at the pro level. I know that is unlikely to happen, as NFL teams keep hiring college HCs as pro HCs, but that would work far better, for all parties involved, IMO.

So, with that rant out of the way, I don't want the Bills to hire a college HC to be their HC...it isn't my preference. If they do that, and/or if the alternatives are members of the bum-retread former pro HCs, I can think of worse choices than Leach.

Our biggest problem is pass protection. Our downfall was TE getting a concussion and getting rushed through the remainder of the season. NOTHING else is even close.

A far second is pass rush. We do not put enough pressure on the qb.

This should be addressed before addressing anything else. I see a Defensive lineman in round 1 and an offensive guard or possibly a center at 2 and a gaurd at 3. I think the rest of free agency should be addressed to clear up these two problem areas. NOTHING ELSE MATTERS>

Tennesseeboy, Your best draft with those priorities would be:

1 DE Brown-Maybin

2 OG-OC Duke Robinson (if he falls this far; otherwise otherwise take Eric Wood OC)

3 OG Andy Levitre or Kraig Urbik (I consider Urbik the better run blocker)

4 TE Travis Beckum

5 DT Corvey Irvin or Vance Walker (we predict one of the 2 will be there)

6 TE Bear Pascoe

7 DE Tim Jamison Michigan

Derek Fine was injured for most of the season. He onlt played the last 3 or 4 games.

TE is luxury as stated before. Its your opinion and your certainly entitled to it,I just don't share it. The better your offense can block the better the running game and passing game will be,period

We don't need a pass catching TE since 90% of the plays called have TE in as an extra (much needed) lineman. The TE is an afterthought in the passing game since its role is primarly to block and secondly for check down outlet. (Since Edwards does check down quickly maybe the TE is primarily for pass catching)

Fine did well his last year in Kansas and showed a few flashes of talent at the end of the season.

The Bills should primarily be concerned about keeping opposing pass rushers off Edwards and a really good blocking TE will certainly help that situation,its why I like Pettigrew.

The talk about a TE being a luxury is nonsense, IMO. But, in part due to the addition of TO, a TE that can stretch the field is probably a luxury.

The Bills desperately need a quality, SOLID blocking TE who is a reliable receiver, and a big target for Trent. More than that would be nice, but is probably a luxury. I've said it before, but here I go: If Royal wasn't completely unreliable as a receiver, he would have been fine. (And, if my aunt had balls...)

Mike Leach got his hat handed to him in their bowl game by mid-tier S.E.C. team. Why the infatuation? Is he just mavericky?

hey 4 i's, i never brought him up so there's no infatuation. i was just asking a question to the person who brought his name up. i don't know the stipulations to his contract.