John Mc Cargo

The Dockery situation is not comparable to the McCargo situation. Dockery was the highest paid guy on the team and was due a huge roster bonus. McCargo is on his rookie contract. If Dockery had been willing to cut his salary back to what he made in his rookie contract, the Bills no doubt would have kept his underperforming lame game around and kept their fingers crossed.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on the plus side McCargo is very quick on the minus side he's small, has a history of injuries, and the thing that bothers me most looks like he doesn't workout and watch his diet- He's extremely rolly polly for a guy who's undersized- Tommy Harris is light but looks like he's carved out of rock, McCargo looks like he's molded out of pudding

I think McCargo is well worth the little risk. Keep him unless we somehow get Raji if he falls in the draft. McCargo is young and like many young guys immature and undisciplined. Remember Bruce Smith early in his career? McCargo counts very little on the cap but has shown flashes of being very good. 2 yrs ago you could count on him every game to have a couple of plays behind the line of scrimmage.

I say let him compete and play. We need a DE to complement Schobel....Kelsay should be a very nice back-up to Schobel or the other DE NOT the starter.

Position coaches tend to hate players when they show up fat, out of shape, lacking motivation, and generally playing beneath their potential. Remember, DJ and Ralph didn't want Kollar to leave, though ultimately the DL coach left for what he thought would be greener pastures. If Kollar's opinion was worthless, no one would have tried to stop him on the way out.

BTW, how many actual "plays" did McCargo make in 07? The big one against the Giants that year came when he ignored his gap and happened to go where blockers didn't. He's a bust now, and that won't change. He's on the team because the Bills lack any sense of depth at DT.

This comment reminds me of why Crowell is no longer here. These men followed their instincts and made a big plays. This game is about risk and reward. To make big plays you sometime need to gamble and follow your instincts. Our staff like's to play it safe. Hence close games with heart breaking losses at the end. I would love for them to be bold. Look for players, not for sheep who follow the flock only to be sheared.

This comment reminds me of why Crowell is no longer here. These men followed their instincts and made a big plays. This game is about risk and reward. To make big plays you sometime need to gamble and follow your instincts. Our staff like's to play it safe. Hence close games with heart breaking losses at the end. I would love for them to be bold. Look for players, not for sheep who follow the flock only to be sheared.

have you ever played defense on a football team before?

The defenders have to rely on each other to do their jobs or the system doesn't work. It takes three good plays for the defense to "win" any given possession, but only one bad one to get burned...if there's some cowboy out there who refuses to do his assigned job, then the defense WILL suffer for it, and he needs to go

I think you're dead on.

Given the offensive and defensive systems that Jauron and company have chosen then any player who occasionally takes a risk is going to be tossed away, thinking outside the box is a sin with the Buffalo Bills.

The west coast offense is never going to score many points whereas the Cover 2 defense allows points and yards. How many three and outs on offense were matched with long third down conversions on defense last year? It's sickening.

It's as if Coach Dicktard pulled his choices out of a hat. If you're going to play west coast then you better have a damn aggressive defense or vice versa. Not Dick though, it's safe all the way around, I'm surprised he hasn't found a way to get rid of Bobby April at this point. April should be the head coach of this team simply because he throws a few curveballs every now and then.

Please don't mention the Colts here either, they are the only team that has the drafting ability and player development to make it work, Dicktard would take the Colts now and make them 2-14.

The last few posts demonstrate that most fans know nothing about the Cover 2 defense and how it works. Each player is assigned a certain area to defend. Players are not supposed to free-lance on the field. If one player loses their gap or assignment, things can get bad real fast. It's one of the reasons the Bills run defense allowed 140 rypg in 06 and 125 rypg in 07. One of the biggest weaknesses to the C2 is it's susceptible to a strong running game because the front 4 DL aren't as big as in conventional 4-3s and 3-4 DL.

Cover 2 SI 12/06

I highly recommend reading this article, and although each team running the C2 has a variation, their base D is similar to this. To my knowledge only the Vikings, Bears, and the Bills will run the C2 in 09.

McCargo, as a 3 tech DT, should be trying to split the guard and center in the middle, not go where he wants.

The last few posts demonstrate that most fans know nothing about the Cover 2 defense and how it works. Each player is assigned a certain area to defend. Players are not supposed to free-lance on the field. If one player loses their gap or assignment, things can get bad real fast. It's one of the reasons the Bills run defense allowed 140 rypg in 06 and 125 rypg in 07. One of the biggest weaknesses to the C2 is it's susceptible to a strong running game because the front 4 DL aren't as big as in conventional 4-3s and 3-4 DL.

Cover 2 SI 12/06

I highly recommend reading this article, and although each team running the C2 has a variation, their base D is similar to this. To my knowledge only the Vikings, Bears, and the Bills will run the C2 in 09.

McCargo, as a 3 tech DT, should be trying to split the guard and center in the middle, not go where he wants.

Here is a good article on what is meant by "technique" for a DL.

http://football.calsci.com/DefensiveLine.html

Bear Bryant's numbering system is a bit different. The 3-tech is still in the G-T gap, but odds are shades and evens are on the nose.