As Much As I Hate To Say This Dibs You Were Right

It's true. It's also why teams can take a hit when they cut a player to whom they gave a big signing bonus over a long term contract. Once they're cut, the part of the signing bonus that was amortized to the still-remaining years of the contract get "accelerated" into one big lump at the time of the cut.

Some teams have been smart and just given roster bonuses, which count entirely in the year they are given. It would make more sense for the Bills to give roster bonuses, assuming they have the room to do so, instead of signing bonuses in this C2C system would it not?

Some teams have been smart and just given roster bonuses, which count entirely in the year they are given. It would make more sense for the Bills to give roster bonuses, assuming they have the room to do so, instead of signing bonuses in this C2C system would it not?

I believe that is the C2C system. All the bonus money up front. I could be wrong though.

I believe Antowain Winfield got a contract where the signing bonus counted against only the 1st year cap.

It's true. It's also why teams can take a hit when they cut a player to whom they gave a big signing bonus over a long term contract. Once they're cut, the part of the signing bonus that was amortized to the still-remaining years of the contract get "accelerated" into one big lump at the time of the cut.

Damn you Chris Kelsay, why did you accept that bonus.

Thanks, that I knew. The question Dibs and I had was whether or not a signing bonus could be spread any way the team wanted to or if it had to be spread evenly over the life of the contract. Dibs' interpretation was correct. They have to be spread evenly over the life of the contract.

:( Where were you when Dibs' and I started this argument. You're right and that's what I was thinking of. Thanks, I should have realized the way around the signing bonus was to call it a roster bonus. I could have used you a few months ago. :thumbsup:

I believe Antowain Winfield got a contract where the signing bonus counted against only the 1st year cap.

He might have but that may have been before the current CBA.

Thanks, that I knew. The question Dibs and I had was whether or not a signing bonus could be spread any way the team wanted to or if it had to be spread evenly over the life of the contract. Dibs' interpretation was correct. They have to be spread evenly over the life of the contract.

Ah, gotcha.