Owens '08 stats vs Bills WR's '08 stats

For anyone that thinks signing T.O. is bad & is going to tear this team apart, look at last years stats:

Owens: Rec-69, Yrds-1,052, TDs-10

Now look what our receivers did:

Evans: rec-63, yrds-1,017, TDs-3

Reed: rec-56, yrds-597, TDs-1

Parrish: rec-24, yrds-232, TDs-1

Johnson: rec-10, yrds 102, TDs-2

Hardy: rec-9, yrds-87, TDs-2

Owens had more yards & receptions than Evans. Owens had more TD's than all of our WR's combined (our WR's had 9 total). Adding another 1,000+ yard, 10 TD+ receiver is the best thing for this offense. Yes, it comes with baggage, but, I'm sick of losing twice a year to NE, going 0-6 in the division last year and sick of not making the playoffs every year for the past 9 years.

Yes, it comes with baggage, but, I'm sick of losing twice a year to NE, going 0-6 in the division last year and sick of not making the playoffs every year for the past 9 years.

:D This about sums up how I feel about it. Besides, if it doesn't work out this year, oh well, at least we tried and we can go a different rout.

agreed w/ original poster.

owens is going to open things up for everyone else, and i'll take Owens' "mediocre production" over what we have now at the #2. (fwiw, owens without his 2 big games averaged 4 catches for 52 yards)

There is no doubt Owens is a prolific receiver and will improve our offense, but a reciever doesn't do it all on his own. This will be, by a mile, the least potent offense he has ever been in with the least potent QB he has ever played with. To make this argument you also have to look at the QBs that are throwing the ball to them. Here are some 2008 stats:

EDWARDS 14 GAMES/245-374/65.5%/2,699 YDS/11 TDS/10 INTS

ROMO 13 GAMES/276-450/61.3%/3,448 YDS/26 YDS/14 INTS

So Owens without a doubt had a more capable QB in Dallas, so his numbers are bound to be much higher, and he played one less game than Edwards did. I am far from a Romo fan, in fact hate the Cowboys as do most Bills fans, but the facts tell the truth. Don't let yourself think that because Owens is here, we are now a super potent offense, because it isn't that easy.

agreed w/ original poster.

owens is going to open things up for everyone else, and i'll take Owens' "mediocre production" over what we have now at the #2. (fwiw, owens without his 2 big games averaged 4 catches for 52 yards)

If Owens averaged just 52 yards per game, that would be 832 yards for the year. That's still a lot better than what the rest of our WR's did. If he can still keep his TD's at 10+ a year, that will win us a few more games and put us in playoff contention.

There is no doubt Owens is a prolific receiver and will improve our offense, but a reciever doesn't do it all on his own. This will be, by a mile, the least potent offense he has ever been in with the least potent QB he has ever played with. To make this argument you also have to look at the QBs that are throwing the ball to them. Here are some 2008 stats:

EDWARDS 14 GAMES/245-374/65.5%/2,699 YDS/11 TDS/10 INTS

ROMO 13 GAMES/276-450/61.3%/3,448 YDS/26 YDS/14 INTS

So Owens without a doubt had a more capable QB in Dallas, so his numbers are bound to be much higher, and he played one less game than Edwards did. I am far from a Romo fan, in fact hate the Cowboys as do most Bills fans, but the facts tell the truth. Don't let yourself think that because Owens is here, we are now a super potent offense, because it isn't that easy.

Good points, but here's a big difference. Evans, Reed & Parrish are all between 5'9" and 5'11". Shorter WR's normally can't shake the double teams. How many games did Evans have last year in which he only caught 1 to 3 passes a game? IMO, Evans is a 1B receiver, not 1A. Our WR's are mainly deep threats, not red zone threats. Perfect example, when Peerless Price was traded to Atlanta to be the #1 WR, he failed because he was too short & couldn't shake the double teams.

Banking on a rookie WR to make an impact was a big gamble that didn't pay off last year. Getting a tall physical WR is exactly what we've been needing. I think Edwards numbers will improve with T.O. on the team. I think Evans will put up his best numbers to date and the rest of our WR's will have better numbers as well. Plus, this will open up the run game more as well. Teams will not be able to double cover both Evans & Owens.

Getting back to your point on the better QB. Let's see how well Romo & Cassell do this year. Cassell had Moss, Welker & a solid O-line, let's see how he does this year in KC. Romo will have Roy Williams, not T.O., let's see if he does better or worse.