The Oline

Currently being reported Peters and Bills are working on a deal. So left tackle should be good for awhile. Center was addressed with Hangartner who will be a big step up over Fowler/Preston last year. Butler at right gaurd is turning into a solid player. Walker is under contract for another 3 years at right Tackle. So that leaves left gaurd open. I dont like the thought of Whittle playing there everydown. He seems as a quality depth guy. My approach would be get Simmons for a two year deal if the medical staff feels he is ready. Draft a center in the second or third round to develope under Hangartner for a year. Grab a gaurd later in the draft in round 5/6 to add depth and work in behind Simmons.

The thing that has me most excited is the new that Bell seems to be progressing nicely. Think about if he could turn into your everyday right tackle. He had great athleticism out of college, just lacked strength. Another year in the weight room should help with that, and he serves a the back up right tackle for the next two seasons. Then you have two young great tackles, center is addressed for awhile. Butler and Hangarnter are your gaurds and add depth/ one day starts in the draft. Set for years. Well atleast in theory.

Currently being reported Peters and Bills are working on a deal. So left tackle should be good for awhile. Center was addressed with Hangartner who will be a big step up over Fowler/Preston last year. Butler at right gaurd is turning into a solid player. Walker is under contract for another 3 years at right Tackle. So that leaves left gaurd open. I dont like the thought of Whittle playing there everydown. He seems as a quality depth guy. My approach would be get Simmons for a two year deal if the medical staff feels he is ready. Draft a center in the second or third round to develope under Hangartner for a year. Grab a gaurd later in the draft in round 5/6 to add depth and work in behind Simmons.

The thing that has me most excited is the new that Bell seems to be progressing nicely. Think about if he could turn into your everyday right tackle. He had great athleticism out of college, just lacked strength. Another year in the weight room should help with that, and he serves a the back up right tackle for the next two seasons. Then you have two young great tackles, center is addressed for awhile. Butler and Hangarnter are your gaurds and add depth/ one day starts in the draft. Set for years. Well atleast in theory.

Hangartner can play EITHER OG or C, This is the "year of the center". I hope we pick up one in the second round-Alex Mack or Eric Wood, both can also play OG. Hangartner was secong string behind Ryan Kalil taken in the second round the year before-this new crop of C's are going to be better than Kalil and likely one or two may compare to Nick Mangold. In the AFC East the center is key and these guys are solid. The center position is one of the more underrated positions in the NFL.

I agree totaly with you. Center makes line calls and holds down the shortest distance to the qb, as well as help open inside running lanes. Thats why i think if you can get one of the good young centers in the second you jump on it. Then Hangartner can slide over to gaurd in 2010. A position he also did well at while in Carolina.

IMHO ..... I think Hangartner will make a better guard then center for us. I've never watched him play, but stuff I've read about him make me think he will struggle against the nose tackles in our division. But I think he'll make a great guard.