Why TO can work in Buffalo. "Do the opposite" theory.

In case you have never seen the Seinfeld episode: in hinges on George coming to the realization that he appears to be more successful when he does the exact opposite of what he thinks he should do.

Along those lines, Ralph Wilson and Co. have seemed to take this advice, popcorn and all.

We all get the "what do we possibly have to lose" argument re: TO, and I think most of us agree, or can at least see it as reasonable. But, I think there might be a little more to it than that, and given this is so opposite from SOP around here, I decided to look for other examples that are polar opposites regarding this situation:

1. Dick Jauron is the Opposite of Steve Mariucci and Andy Reid in that he's not a screamer, and the Opposite of Wade Phillps in that he's not happy go lucky generalist.

2. Trent Edwards is the Opposite of all the other QBs TO has played with, except Steve Young and that was a long time ago.

3. Lee Evans is the exact Opposite of what TO is used to on the other side, since Jerry Ric 10 years ago

4. Buffalo Media/exposure is the exact Opposite of Dallas. Sure there are mics and cameras and all the rest, but the media environment isn't the same. Is Paul Hamilton or Jerry Sullivan going to get into it with TO? Doubtful.

5. Buffalo Fans are the exact Opposite of Dallas, Philly, and SF fans. Key differences:

a. We know the game far and away better than they do in general. I have lived in all 4 towns, each for at least a year, and it's not even close. Talking general football with any of those fans is usually a waste of time. All they know is how to say "(Buffalo/Philly/Dallas/SF) Sucks", but they can never tell you "why". They can't even say "why" about teams in their division! I guaranteed that we know more about "why" the Cowboys might suck this year than Philly fans do. Go to any message board and confirm it for yourself. All they know is how to parrot a bumper sticker. Our knowledge means we are a hell of a lot less likely to get drawn into stupidity/celebrity crap than they are, because we actually understand what is happening on the field. TO will learn quickly that we are just as smart as he is, and therefore not so easily manipulated.

b. We root for what's on the side of the helmet, not what's on the back of the jersey. It's between us and the Steelers for who is bigger on that. In the middle of the SB years we were reasonably critical of Kelly, TT, Bruce, etc. and still are. We like our players, but we rarely love them. RJ/Flutie is the best example of that: nobody cared about the players themselves, or what they had to say, we were pissed at the coaches. Philly/Dallas/SF is all about the "celebrity" and individual thing. This is a team town, by definition.

6. Buffalo is the Opposite of Dallas, Philly, and SF in that it has been a losing team the last 5 years. Should of, could of, etc. aside, nobody can say one way or the other that we are only missing a few pieces. We were 5-1, then we were 7-9. Who knows what team shows up this year.

7. Nobody is expecting TO to come in....and the Bills with the SB. This is the Opposite of the expectation in Philly and Dallas. We all knew going into the off-season that 4-5 other things NEEDED to happen, and some may already have, for us to make the playoffs, never mind win any games once there.

So that's a lot of opposites, and there are probably more. That's why this is so weird. But with all these opposites, and providing George = Ralph/Brandon, this might just work.... :lol:

Lee Evans is a carbon copy of Terry Glenn who Owens worked opposite of Dallas in 2006.

Not exactly. I think Evans is faster than Glenn ever was. He also is a stronger receiver. Glenn might have been a better route runner in his later years than Evans is currently but thats questionable. Sure Glenn could run but how many guys in the league run like Evans?

Evans is easily the best player TO has ever played across from with the exception of Jerry Rice. (One cannot count the Roy Williams thing because theres so much to that situation).

Lol this is an EXTREMELY arrogant post, after going to UB for 4 years I can say with confidence that about 85-90% of Bills fans are complete idiots.

Are you sure that you aren't the idiot with that extremely arrogant post?

How about this, after attending Boston College for 6 yrs (BS & MSF), I've found that people from Boston are extremely arrogant, blow hards, and easily the most annoying people that I've lived around.

Are you sure that you aren't the idiot with that extremely arrogant post?

How about this, after attending Boston College for 6 yrs (BS & MSF), I've found that people from Boston are extremely arrogant, blow hards, and easily the most annoying people that I've lived around.

Shrug, couldn't tell yah, I've never lived in Boston, but in terms of sports they pretty much have the right to be arrogant since they have 6 world championships in 3 sports and all their teams are high in the running for more championships this year. I'm not saying Buffalo is the treasure trove of sports idiocy, but to say that Buffalo fans are blessed with some exceptional football knowledge is pretty stupid, when I say like 90% of Bills fans are idiots when it comes to football thats only because 90% of football fans in general are idiots when it comes to football. The only reason it appears there are more idiots in other fan bases is because you're looking at a bigger population and therefore there are going to be more idiots total but still the same ratio.

Shrug, couldn't tell yah, I've never lived in Boston, but in terms of sports they pretty much have the right to be arrogant since they have 6 world championships in 3 sports and all their teams are high in the running for more championships this year.

So...you're an idiot, huh? Reading comprehension is absolutely demanded around here. Read my original post again...we'll all wait for you. Being happy about your team winning is not the same as knowing WHY they won, but apparently you can't tell the difference. Thank you for so rapidly providing proof of the general stupidity of most non-Bills NFL fans. (mark that as exhibit #1)

My other point was: the Bills are opposite because they haven't won in so long. So...you're an idiot again, for telling me why you have a right to be arrogant as a response to me stating that TO is in, again, the exact opposite situation of Dallas/Philly/NE* in terms of recent success, and fan expectations. Hint: the two things are completely unrelated...idiot (mark that as exhibit #2)

I'm not saying Buffalo is the treasure trove of sports idiocy,

Oh boy, I can see this one coming from here...hopefully this doesn't end with an attempt to roll 3.5 on a die... :P

but to say that Buffalo fans are blessed with some exceptional football knowledge is pretty stupid, when I say like 90% of Bills fans are idiots when it comes to football thats only because 90% of football fans in general are idiots when it comes to football. The only reason it appears there are more idiots in other fan bases is because you're looking at a bigger population and therefore there are going to be more idiots total but still the same ratio.

You are acting like whoever buys a t-shirt is suddenly a fan, and is the same as every other fan = they all belong as part of the denominator, therefore it's ok to talk about 10% of the fanbase, etc. (not a surprise coming from the place that has recycled more Giants for Pats* for Giants jerseys than Champion). I am saying: No, those rules apply to YOUR idiot, bandwagon fanbase, not our smart, committed fanbase.

For every 5 Bills fans 4 are real and 3.5(hah! got it in here) know the game, even the women, we are raised = opportunity fans. For every 5 SF/Dallas/Philly/Pats* fans, you are lucky if 1 are real and .5 know the game. Based on the criteria of "real", our fans don't only know more than you, there are more of us than you. Those ratios hold, nationwide, whether we are talking about lining up 10 Bills fans vs. 10 Pats*, etc. fans, or 10k v. 10k, and I can back that up easily:

Show me one(1) in 25 female Pats* fans who know what Pass Interference is. I asked that question at 5 Pats* games and never found one female Pats* "fan" who knew it. I have never gotten past the third female Bills fan I ask, and I usually catch hell just for asking the question.

Speaking of that, what is significant about 1985 for the Patriots?(...hook in the water) Who was the starting QB?(hint: it's a trick question...reeling in slowly) And remember, at the last Pats* game I asked this question 25 times. 5 got the first answer, 1 got the second. You ask Bills fans who was playing backup QB in 1985...and 15/25 will tell you.

So yeah, again, we are the EXACT Opposite of you/Dallas/SF/Philly, because we know the game far and away better than you do, and we actually stick with our team long enough to know something about it. Be sure to come back wearing your Giants jersey in a couple of years, when the Pats* go back to sucking.