High School Basketball question

The Dean

Hopefully, someone in WNY might have a little insight on this:

I just noticed that NFHS is 21-0 and ranked #1 in New York State (that ranking usually excludes NYC, I think). Yet, they are nowhere to be seen on the national rankings, or even McPaper's (USA Today) "Regional Rankings". In past years, NFHS has appeared on these lists, when they were flying high.

What gives? I noticed that, unlike in past years, NFHS didn't travel to tournaments outside the region. Was this a budget issue, or is something else at play?

Is this NFHS team as good as in the years when Harris and Flynn played? If they win the states, do the have a chance at the following tourney, where they play the winners of the NYC area?

Any insight is appreciated. I really didn't pay any attention to this, until just now.

Hopefully, someone in WNY might have a little insight on this:

I just noticed that NFHS is 21-0 and ranked #1 in New York State (that ranking usually excludes NYC, I think). Yet, they are nowhere to be seen on the national rankings, or even McPaper's (USA Today) "Regional Rankings". In past years, NFHS has appeared on these lists, when they were flying high.

What gives? I noticed that, unlike in past years, NFHS didn't travel to tournaments outside the region. Was this a budget issue, or is something else at play?

Is this NFHS team as good as in the years when Harris and Flynn played? If they win the states, do the have a chance at the following tourney, where they play the winners of the NYC area?

Any insight is appreciated. I really didn't pay any attention to this, until just now.

You kinda answered your own question in a way, NFHS is not playing a non-WNY schedule this year like they did in the years where they were nationally ranked. They got national recognition because they were beating top teams in the Country, almost beat the #1 ranked team actually(only lost by one point), but this year they have only been playing a league schedule so that will not get them to crack the national rankings. And no they are not on the same level as the Paul Harris/Johnny Flynn teams were. With that said they have a great chance at winning another state championship this year :thumbsup:

You kinda answered your own question in a way, NFHS is not playing a non-WNY schedule this year like they did in the years where they were nationally ranked. They got national recognition because they were beating top teams in the Country, almost beat the #1 ranked team actually(only lost by one point), but this year they have only been playing a league schedule so that will not get them to crack the national rankings. And no they are not on the same level as the Paul Harris/Johnny Flynn teams were. With that said they have a great chance at winning another state championship this year :thumbsup:

Thanks. I noticed they didn't play the tourneys, and kinda figured that's why they didn't get the rankings. I still think the voters should take note, as they should be familiar with the program, and realize it has been a good one for a few years, now.

I wonder why they dropped the tourneys. I'm guessing budget, but maybe there are other reasons.

If Niagara makes it to the dance, there will be at least three NFHS players in the tourney: Harris, Flynn and Robert Garrison.

Thanks. I noticed they didn't play the tourneys, and kinda figured that's why they didn't get the rankings. I still think the voters should take note, as they should be familiar with the program, and realize it has been a good one for a few years, now.

I wonder why they dropped the tourneys. I'm guessing budget, but maybe there are other reasons.

If Niagara makes it to the dance, there will be at least three NFHS players in the tourney: Harris, Flynn and Robert Garrison.

The budget maybe a concern but my guess is they went back to a traditional league schedule because the AD & the coach realized this was not going to be one of their stronger teams & they would have a tough time competing against the elite competition they have played in the past. Even though they are undefeated, they are not nearly as good as the teams they have had in the past. Although, they are still pretty dam good as their record indicates.

The budget maybe a concern but my guess is they went back to a traditional league schedule because the AD & the coach realized this was not going to be one of their stronger teams & they would have a tough time competing against the elite competition they have played in the past. Even though they are undefeated, they are not nearly as good as the teams they have had in the past. Although, they are still pretty dam good as their record indicates.

Thanks. That's the kind of insight I was hoping to get.

If they win the NYS tourney, and then win, or at least compete well at the Federation tourney, against powerhouses like Rice, they should be ranked.