Considering the Talent

Exactly- scheme is very overrated. Our coaches are better than people want to admit- they put our overmatched players in position to make some plays against more talented teams- remember all those turnovers forced against Dallas?

I remember Tony Romo handing out lollipops, actually.

I don't agree. No team in this league should be shredded by Ted Ginn like the Bills were. Many might blame McGee's injury for Ginn's blowup, but it's well documented that Ginn can be pushed ten yards off his route with any contact at the line of scrimmage. The Bills seemed to miss all that footage and hung back in their worthless Tampa 2, letting Ginn run wild, costing them a win in Miami.

When you look at the talent of the Bills defense, it's back-loaded, especially with their injuries up front. The back four (or 5) are stronger than the front 7 (or 6). The CBs could have handled more man-coverage and bump and run. The safeties were effective the few times they blitzed this season. The coaches could have used CB and S blitzes more, which could have resulted in much-needed turnovers. They could have put 8 or 9 in the box to stop the run, which was a huge weakness for them.

In the end, the problem is that the coaches were more married to their scheme exploiting than the matchups they faced each week. Chad Pennington, Brady Quinn, and Shaun Hill shouldn't be defensed like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. But that's what the Bills coaches did by stubbornly sticking to the Tampa 2.

When you look at the talent of the Bills defense, it's back-loaded, especially with their injuries up front. The back four (or 5) are stronger than the front 7 (or 6). The CBs could have handled more man-coverage and bump and run. The safeties were effective the few times they blitzed this season. The coaches could have used CB and S blitzes more, which could have resulted in much-needed turnovers. They could have put 8 or 9 in the box to stop the run, which was a huge weakness for them.

A lot of fans, myself included, complain about DJ and Fewell's handling of the defense. It's clear all they know is T2, yet don't have the horses to run it. For two years we heard about lighter, quicker, and faster DLineman. After allowing 140 rypg in 06 and 125 rypg in 07, they finally acquired Stroud. They should know the weakness to playing T2 is yielding yards in the running game and wearing it down. That happened for two seasons before they admitted Tripplett and Williams weren't good enough and made a change.

DJ is going to sink or swim with this defense. Yet they don't have the pass rushers like Indy has in Mathis and Freeney or TB had about 6-8 years ago. It doesn't look like that's going to change anytime soon, but getting to the QB is the most important aspect of this defense. You can have a secondary of All-Pro's, and they'll be lit up without constant pressure.

Drafting secondary and skilled players is nice, but it's been the undoing of TD and the Levy/Brandon era. As long as DJ has any say in personnel, he's going to go with what he knows. And that's not much.

Drafting secondary and skilled players is nice, but it's been the undoing of TD and the Levy/Brandon era. As long as DJ has any say in personnel, he's going to go with what he knows. And that's not much.

There lies the problem. I am not as big a Jauron fan as some people think- He takes more abuse than is warranted and I defend him for that. A hall of famer, he is not. If Schottenheimer would ever come to Buffalo, I would take that in a second....Mike Mularkey walked out on us.

There lies the problem. I am not as big a Jauron fan as some people think- He takes more abuse than is warranted and I defend him for that. A hall of famer, he is not. If Schottenheimer would ever come to Buffalo, I would take that in a second....Mike Mularkey walked out on us.

I ridiculed Mularkey for quitting at the time, but in retrospect he was right on the money with his primary reason for leaving. The organization being put together wasn't going to give him a chance to be successful and it was better to nip it in the bud and walk away and start over at the bottom of the ladder somewhere else. Mularkey is back in the saddle and doing a good job as a OC in Atlanta. Meanwhile the Bills continue to tread water and fritter away. As a Bills fan, I would've much rather that Mularkey had gone out in a blaze of glory by getting fired for trying to impose his will on the organization and drag it kicking and screaming towards success, but he clearly recognized the situation and came to the conclusion he wouldn't be able to succeed. He's no Rod Marinelli, but he had his reasons.