How Can a penalty be called on a Replay

Arizona had a beauty of a punt that was downed on the Bills 1 Yard Line. Arizona challenged it (I can only assume that it was because they felt a Bills player had touched the ball) No penalty called on the original play.

Turns out upon review the Arizona player that downed the ball at the 1 had stepped out of bounds and was not eligible to down the football. Arizona was penalized 5 yards and had to rekick.

Even though this was the right call upon review of the play I have never seen a penalty called against a team on a review... even worse the team challenging the call getting the penalty.

Arizona had a beauty of a punt that was downed on the Bills 1 Yard Line.  Arizona challenged it (I can only assume that it was because they felt a Bills player had touched the ball)  No penalty called on the original play.

Turns out upon review the Arizona player that downed the ball at the 1 had stepped out of bounds and was not eligible to down the football.  Arizona was penalized 5 yards and had to rekick.

Even though this was the right call upon review of the play I have never seen a penalty called against a team on a review... even worse the team challenging the call getting the penalty.

94655[/snapback]

Actually, from what I saw both teams challenged the play. I am absolutely sure that the Bills challenged it because I saw Mularkey hurl the red flag, and the official sad that the Cards challenged it, too. The Cards must have thought that the ball glanced off Clements leg, which was close. The Bills thought that the Cardinal was in the end zone when he downed the ball. In order for the officials to make the correct call after the review, was to award the penalty for the guy coming out of bounds. Whatwas strange was, originally they took the TO from the Cards for losing the challenge but then decided to give it back to them. I didn't understand the ruling, unless they decided that the Bills had already challenged the call and that is was unnecessary for the Cards to challenge the call.

Actually, from what I saw both teams challenged the play. I am absolutely sure that the Bills challenged it because I saw Mularkey hurl the red flag, and the official sad that the Cards challenged it, too. The Cards must have thought that the ball glanced off Clements leg, which was close. The Bills thought that the Cardinal was in the end zone when he downed the ball. In order for the officials to make the correct call after the review, was to award the penalty for the guy coming out of bounds. Whatwas strange was, originally they took the TO from the Cards for losing the challenge but then decided to give it back to them. I didn't understand the ruling, unless they decided that the Bills had already challenged the call and that is was unnecessary for the Cards to challenge the call.

94683[/snapback]

I think they treated it as a Cardinals challenge because they got the challenge in first. Then, since they overturned part of the original call, no timeout was charged even though what was overturned was not what the Cards had challenged.

As far as the penalty being called on the replay, there are a couple of instances where that can happen, if it's not a subjective call. This was one; it can also happen when a QB throws the ball beyond the line of scrimmage. I wonder if it could be done for an offsides call?

I think they treated it as a Cardinals challenge because they got the challenge in first.  Then, since they overturned part of the original call, no timeout was charged even though what was overturned was not what the Cards had challenged.

As far as the penalty being called on the replay, there are a couple of instances where that can happen, if it's not a subjective call.  This was one; it can also happen when a QB throws the ball beyond the line of scrimmage.  I wonder if it could be done for an offsides call?

94730[/snapback]

That's a good explanation and you're probably correct. The whole thing was strange. This was the first time, too, that I saw the officials go over to both coaches and explain what they were about to rule before turning on the mic and telling the TV cameras and fans what the decision was. It was weird all along, but I guess that's what instant replay is all about, they seemed to get the right call and neither side could really be pissed with the decision.

94683[/snapback]

I believe MM challenged the downing of the ball by a player (Cards #35) who had gone out of bounds.

I believe MM challenged the downing of the ball by a player (Cards #35) who had gone out of bounds.

94856[/snapback]

Yes, that's what MM challenged.

I don't see how the ref screwed that one up. His linesman threw the hat down, TOLD him that the guy went out and was the first to touch it, yet the ref didn't listen. For the life of me, I can't figure out why the ref would ignore what the linesman told him on the play. It's not like the ref had a vantage point - he's not even supposed to be looking in that area. I didn't get it then and I don't get it now.

That screwup alone made the game last an extra 15-25 minutes while they figured it out.

CW

What made me crazy was the TV timeout after they announced the result which made it even longer!

94912[/snapback]

Thats been going on alot this season. A timeout will be called they will air five minutes of the QB and coach chatting on the sideline then break for a tv timeout.

I've seen it on several occasions.

That screwup alone made the game last an extra 15-25 minutes while they figured it out.

CW

94868[/snapback]

As I was watching the TV ticker, I remembered seeing the score/time of the Bills game seemingly "stuck" forever, then finally update, a couple of times. This must have been one of them.

And that explains this weird play-by-play description:

4-4-ARI44 (6:26) S.Player punts 55 yards to BUF 1, Center-N.Hodel, downed by ARZ-D.Carter. Play Challenged by ARZ and REVERSED. S.Player punts 55 yards to BUF 1, Center-N.Hodel, downed by ARZ-D.Carter.

PENALTY on ARZ-D.Carter, Illegal Touch Kick, 5 yards, enforced at ARZ 44 - No Play.