Explain the cap with Dockery

buffalo1983

He is due 5.85mill but the bills still have to pay him 5.4mill? So we are only saving 400K this season off of the cap? what about the rest of the years?

How does this move help us sign someone else if we will have dead money on the cap that we can't even use right now. Im i seeing this the wrong way or how does this work?

also... how much money did they have and will they have to spend?

The $5.4 million is money already paid to Dockery when he got a $8.1 million signing bonus in 2007. That's the dead cap. His cap number was $5.85 million. Subtract the $5.4 million and you get his cap savings of $450,000

Bills save $4.5 million in "cash to cap" in 2009 and that, along with money to be paid to Dockery in future years, is what helps overall

Because its not all just about the cap number, its a money savings in guaranteed money plus money overtime. The Bills are well under the salary cap for next year and cutting Dockery's huge payday will give them extra money down the road, especially with the changes to the salary cap over the new few years.

Cap penalties only affect your cap for 1 season if I recall correctly

The $5.4 million is money already paid to Dockery when he got a $8.1 million signing bonus in 2007. That's the dead cap. His cap number was $5.85 million. Subtract the $5.4 million and you get his cap savings of $450,000

Bills save $4.5 million in "cash to cap" in 2009 and that, along with money to be paid to Dockery in future years, is what helps overall

You are definitely underpaid for what you do. :thumbsup:

According to your numbers we are ..

Under the cap: $20,941,267

Cash To Cap: $39,048,327

I posted this in another thread, but I'll repeat it again.

The release of DD is quite simple. The Bills have to spend a certain amount of money against the cap in order to get their share in the CBA. Dead money counts as money spent, even though RW won't really be spending a single penny on DD's contract this season. The cap hit should be about 4 or 5 million dollars. That's 4 or $5 million less that RW will have to actually spend. More cuts will come.

He was also due a roster bonus of just over a million.

I think it is about time the NFL went to a straight cash accounting system for salary cap purposes and did away with the accrual and amortization nonsense. All the amortization does is confuse fans and let teams play PR games with their fiscal situation. If the majority of teams are significantly under the cap and only care about yearly cash expense anyway, just wipe the slate clean and start keeping track of how much cash they are spending for salary cap purposes. Instead of signing bonuses, go to 2 or 3 year guaranteed contracts. This would greatly help every team not named Washington, Dallas, New England, and New York.