Homebrewers of Off The Wall unite.....

The Poojer

actually i need some help on equipment...i want to get back into it, i have heard that glass carboys are going away in favor of PET-type carboys....I understand that there are differences in the PET bottles....how do I tell by the bottle if it is condusive to brewing...is there a marking on the bottom? I have a guy that has hundreds of water bottles...somehow doubt they are gonna be the ones I need though....thanks in advance.

actually i need some help on equipment...i want to get back into it, i have heard that glass carboys are going away in favor of PET-type carboys....I understand that there are differences in the PET bottles....how do I tell by the bottle if it is condusive to brewing...is there a marking on the bottom? I have a guy that has hundreds of water bottles...somehow doubt they are gonna be the ones I need though....thanks in advance.

Honestly, any bottle is fine for brewing. The main thing you need to keep in mind is sanitation. As long as it is clean and sanitized, you are good to go. Add a blowoff tube and you are set.

i thought there were issues with leaching in some PET products, or was this just a scare tactic to go to the lesser used bottles?

Honestly, any bottle is fine for brewing. The main thing you need to keep in mind is sanitation. As long as it is clean and sanitized, you are good to go. Add a blowoff tube and you are set.

I'm not sure of any issues with PET carboys. The only issue I have heard mentioned with plastic fermentation vessels in general is oxidation since there can be air exchange through plastic. I never worry about it and I have always done primary fermentation in food grade plastic buckets. I figure since I mostly brew ales that don't end up sitting in the primary for too long I'll end up ok. As KRC said sanitation is an issue. Since plastic can be easily scratched and harbor bacteria I always replace my fermentation buckets every year. Glass carboys are much easier to keep properly sanitized but they are a pain to clean.