Jauron's dilemma

thewildrabbit

In recent articles Dick Jauron mentioned that scoring more points is a priority and Turk Schonert mentioned that the Bills currently don't have that second receiver threat to help keep Lee Evans from getting double teamed and to give Edwards another option in the red zone.

I mentioned the latter point in one of my earlier posts, It actually gives me hope for this season to read that Schonert understands the problem and the team will work to correct it.

Will the Bills go after Owen Daniels, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, perhaps Marvin Harrison? Some big names that might actually have an impact on offense this upcoming season. Will the Bills spend that 11th pick on TE Brandon Pettigrew or WR Jeremy Maclin?

What will happen if Jauron finishes the 09 season with an 8-8 record or less?

Even with an 8-8 record I think Wilson will make a change in order to appease the fan base and season ticket holders.

Now considering the fact that few draft picks actually produce at a high level their first year or two and some take even longer before they are fully developed. Unless the Bills somehow manage to get Aaron Curry with the 11th pick, someone who most scouts think can step in and play at a high level from day one.

Most of the Bills fans on this board want a DE at #11 rather then a offensive player. That defensive player will surly help the team at some point but the offense will still be lacking.

Unless the Bills can obtain some players that can start and really help the team this year, Jauron just might be drafting for his successor. :devil:

In recent articles Dick Jauron mentioned that scoring more points is a priority and Turk Schonert mentioned that the Bills currently don't have that second receiver threat to help keep Lee Evans from getting double teamed and to give Edwards another option in the red zone.

I mentioned the latter point in one of my earlier posts, It actually gives me hope for this season to read that Schonert understands the problem and the team will work to correct it.

Will the Bills go after Owen Daniels, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, perhaps Marvin Harrison? Some big names that might actually have an impact on offense this upcoming season. Will the Bills spend that 11th pick on TE Brandon Pettigrew or WR Jeremy Maclin?

What will happen if Jauron finishes the 09 season with an 8-8 record or less?

Even with an 8-8 record I think Wilson will make a change in order to appease the fan base and season ticket holders.

Now considering the fact that few draft picks actually produce at a high level their first year or two and some take even longer before they are fully developed. Unless the Bills somehow manage to get Aaron Curry with the 11th pick, someone who most scouts think can step in and play at a high level from day one.

Most of the Bills fans on this board want a DE at #11 rather then a offensive player. That defensive player will surly help the team at some point but the offense will still be lacking.

Unless the Bills can obtain some players that can start and really help the team this year, Jauron just might be drafting for his successor. :devil:

delima beans

1. Getting another receiver to take the double coverage off of Evans has been a glaring problem. Glaring might be the understatement of the year, however. This has been screamingly obvious from the beginning of the season, and Schonert bringing this up at this point is downright laughable.

2. The Bills always go after "the best player available" in the draft. Don't expect anything to change, regardless of their needs.

3. If Jauron finishes with an 8-8, or even a 4th consecutive 7-9 record with next year's horrifically brutal schedule, he deserves a medal, a statue and a parade. He won't, so put away those party hats.

4. Regardless of who the Bills pick up in the draft, see #3.

5. The Bills need a bona fide pass rush, a second legitimate deep threat WR, a QB with consistency and a coaching staff that doesn't call bone headed plays and handle the clock like it was a wet, flopping barracuda.

6. We could get an impact pass rusher in FA or the draft. Assuming that Fewell will actually call blitzes more than once a game, that would be a big, big help. The only way we are realistically going to get a legitimate deep threat WR is through FA, Trent has GOT to be more consistent and God Help Us All regarding the coaching staff.

I honestly believe that this is the first season in which DJ has been here where he enters the season on the hot seat, knowing that he needs to win to stay employed. That may not impact his coaching style, but I have a feeling that his input on free agency and the draft will gear more toward the sudden impact type players.

2. The Bills always go after "the best player available" in the draft. Don't expect anything to change, regardless of their needs.

I disagree. Without making this a thread about shoulda coulda woulda, Buffalo goes best player available at a position of need. They felt they needed a safety in 08, and Whitner was the need and best available in their mind. DT was a huge need, and they prioritized secondary before DL. I'm not trying to make this a Whitner stinks thread, but it was their mindset, as evidenced by the picks.

Jauron does not control the purse strings on this team. And with the elevation of Modrak into the vaunted inner circle, I don't think DJ has the control over personnel he once had either. This is reminiscent of his time in Chicago when that was stripped from him after Jerry Angelo's hiring as GM.

DJ is in a tough situation, although he wouldn't be on the hot-seat had he finished last year 9-7 like Buffalo easily should have. Nice guy, bad HC going up against a tough schedule in 09.

I disagree. Without making this a thread about shoulda coulda woulda, Buffalo goes best player available at a position of need. They felt they needed a safety in 08, and Whitner was the need and best available in their mind. DT was a huge need, and they prioritized secondary before DL. I'm not trying to make this a Whitner stinks thread, but it was their mindset, as evidenced by the picks.

Jauron does not control the purse strings on this team. And with the elevation of Modrak into the vaunted inner circle, I don't think DJ has the control over personnel he once had either. This is reminiscent of his time in Chicago when that was stripped from him after Jerry Angelo's hiring as GM.

DJ is in a tough situation, although he wouldn't be on the hot-seat had he finished last year 9-7 like Buffalo easily should have. Nice guy, bad HC going up against a tough schedule in 09.

Point taken regarding the draft, but that may be more of a case of having those particular players available at that draft position. IMO, they need a pass rushing hellion, deep threat WR, TE and then a really good center. Of those, I think the only one who could make an immediate contribution is a pass rusher.

What 2 positions do you see as the Bills most pressing need to address in the draft and who do you think the Bills should go after?

It will be interesting to compare what they do to what you predict.

Regarding DJ, given his coaching gaffes and clock bungling, I would NOT want to see him make the draft calls. Or the FA calls either, for that matter. And he is facing a suicidal schedule next season that will almost certainly cost him his job.

What 2 positions do you see as the Bills most pressing need to address in the draft and who do you think the Bills should go after?

UFA simply doesn't reflect pass rushing DE's or decent TE's. I think those two positions will be targeted in the first two rounds of the draft. The center position is possible in FA, but I'm not sure if they want to spend more money on UFA centers like Brown, and to a lesser extent Saturday and Birk. I'm hopeful they add another second round pick by trading down in the first, provided they get a dance partner and getting a center like Eric Wood.

I think Buffalo likes E. Brown in the first, and perhaps one of the many TE's most likely available in the second. Someone along the lines of Shawn Nelson or Cornelius Ingram.

In FA, I see them going OLB, depth at OL, and maybe even WR.

UFA simply doesn't reflect pass rushing DE's or decent TE's. I think those two positions will be targeted in the first two rounds of the draft. The center position is possible in FA, but I'm not sure if they want to spend more money on UFA centers like Brown, and to a lesser extent Saturday and Birk. I'm hopeful they add another second round pick by trading down in the first, provided they get a dance partner and getting a center like Eric Wood.

I think Buffalo likes E. Brown in the first, and perhaps one of the many TE's most likely available in the second. Someone along the lines of Shawn Nelson or Cornelius Ingram.

In FA, I see them going OLB, depth at OL, and maybe even WR.

I agree. Unless the impact guy they want falls to eleven I would trade down and grab an additonal second rounder

Hmm. The Bills scored more points in 08 than they ever have under Jauron. Of course, they played every single bottom feeder defense in the NFL save Detroit. Not that Dick is wrong. The points total still sucked and was barely ahead of teams like the Seahawks, which had a QB with a bad back, no running game, and about 10,000 WRs on IR.