Jauron speaks for first time in two months

thewildrabbit

Not Certain if any noticed this article from ESPN,thought I'd post it.

Jauron speaks for first time in two months

February 19, 2009 1:53 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

INDIANAPOLIS -- Buffalo Bills fans don't like him much these days, but coach Dick Jauron remains bullish on the team's future.

Jauron, at Lucas Oil Stadium for the NFL scouting combine, spoke for the first time since his postgame news conference after the Dec. 28 windswept season finale. The Bills lost that game to the New England Patriots, giving them three straight 7-9 records under Jauron.

While acknowledging there were some "screw-ups" on offense last year, coach Dick Jauron is very optimistic about Trent Edwards leading the team in the future.

Jauron didn't speak on locker clean-out day, perhaps because his future with the team was in question. Within a few days the Bills finally admitted they'd re-signed him to a three-year contract extension and announced they were keeping him on board.

Jauron remained silent until Thursday morning.

He covered a lot of ground with reporters. He was the first to step up behind the lectern, and I was able to speak with him later in a more casual setting along with Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News and Chris Brown of BuffaloBills.com.

I wrote an ESPN.com news story in which Jauron reflects on how Bills fans view him and what he thinks he needs to work on.

Edited by Lori
copyrighted material

Buffalo News: Bills coordinator Schonert enthused by Edward's growth

By Mark Gaughan

INDIANAPOLIS — Don’t underestimate the benefit Trent Edwards will get from experience in his second full year as starting quarterback for the Buffalo Bills.

That was a point emphasized by Bills offensive coordinator Turk Schonert on Friday in his first comments of the offseason.

“A lot happened to him that he’s going to learn from,” Schonert said. “The great thing about Trent is something happens to him one time, and he’s going to learn from it. He doesn’t make the same mistake most of the time. So his level of play is going to get better just from what he experienced, what defenses threw at him.”

Schonert echoed the strong support of Edwards expressed Thursday by Bills head coach Dick Jauron. The Bills’ brain trust firmly believes Edwards has what it takes to lead the team out of the non-playoff wilderness it is in.

“He did a lot of good things,” Schonert said of Edwards. “He made some young mistakes. He had some things happen to him that caught him off guard in some games and he struggled. But he regained his composure in some games. Like the Denver game. He started off really bad, missed some throws. But he rebounded and he played very well and we won the game.”

“The year before he was a 56 percent passer,” Schonert said of 2007. “And he went to 65.5 percent, the second-best in Bills history. So there were a lot of positives.”

After reading this article and the one above it I believe the Bills will make WR / TE a priority in the draft and free agency

Edited by Lori
copyrighted material

Wow, what a firecracker. I almost fell asleep reading Jauron's quotes. He must have the same affect on the players during meetings.

The 3-4s in our division are not just 3-4s. They are talented. They are very, very talented.

We've got to get ourselves in more manageable passing situations. When you get into the ones that aren't [manageable], those eight-man zones, there's not a lot of spots. There's not a lot of areas to throw the ball. That's hard. Defensive lines are good enough that with three [pass-rushers] they can eventually get there sometimes. We've got to help ourselves in that regard.

More of Dickie J's Gee Whiz," it's hard to win in the NFL" attitude. This guy will NEVER be a winner and I can't wait for the day that he is sent packing.

Here is the entire article: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/585785.html

Bills coordinator Schonert enthused by Edward's growth

By Mark Gaughan

NEWS SPORTS REPORTER

• Schonert would not say what tops his offseason wish list, but he acknowledged it was too easy for opponents to take Lee Evans away.

• “In our division they know who our big threat is,” he said. “It’s Lee Evans. So what are they going to do? They’re going to take him away. They’re going to make you beat them in other ways. We have to improve in the pass game, no doubt about it.”

“When you double Lee, he’s your big home run threat. You’ve got to find someone else who’s going to get deep. We don’t really have that guy. We had James [Hardy] but he was limited in what he did, being a rookie. We have to find other ways to get the ball down the field.”

• At the same time, Schonert said he tried to call deeper routes more times than people realized.

“We call them and you get sacked. You get beat right away. There were times when we had Lee Evans for a touchdown. We had Hardy for a touchdown the very first play of the first Jets game, but we had to dump it off to Marshawn real quick because of protection.”

---------------------------------------------------

I wanted to point out that Schonert is even mentioning that the Bills are in dire need of another down field threat to take pressure off Lee Evans and help Trent Edwards

Sorry Lori,thought I made mention in they were not mine but was quoting from them, I know I didn't link them

rabbit, even if you attribute (which you did, and I thank you for that), it doesn't matter -- you can post a three-or-four paragraph excerpt and a link, but not the entire story. I've edited the post directly above this one to keep the parts you emphasized.

To elaborate on this:

© 2009 The Buffalo News. The information you receive online from The Buffalo News is protected by the copyright laws of the United States.

The copyright laws prohibit any copying, redistributing, re-transmitting, or re-purposing of any copyright-protected material.

"Fair use" rules allow some short excerpting. But if you copy/paste the entire piece here, you're denying traffic to the rightful copyright owner, in this case the Buffalo News. By rights, they could send TBD a cease-and-desist notice ... or worse, even file suit against us. (And don't think that it never happens. In fact, my newspaper is going after someone right now for "borrowing," and reprinting without attribution, significant portions of a story I wrote.)

Recap: three or four graphs, with a link to the originating site, is fine. Any more than that is questionable. Okay? Thanks.

Wow, what a firecracker. I almost fell asleep reading Jauron's quotes. He must have the same affect on the players during meetings.

More of Dickie J's Gee Whiz," it's hard to win in the NFL" attitude. This guy will NEVER be a winner and I can't wait for the day that he is sent packing.

Hey man, it is really hard to throw against soft zone coverage. Kurt Warner really struggled against us. So did Chad Pennington. So did Jay Cutler.

"As a coaching staff, we have to get more efficient in terms of our communication. ... Game-time decisions, whenever they don't work, they're the wrong decision. You'd like to have them work. Hopefully, the ball will bounce our way a little more often."

My problem with him is my problem with people in general... it's not about wanting the ball to bounce your way. It's about making the ball bounce however you want it. He's praying for luck instead of making things happen, and that's the sign of a weak person. Winning doesn't happen because God wills it, Dick. :devil::D

"As a coaching staff, we have to get more efficient in terms of our communication. ... Game-time decisions, whenever they don't work, they're the wrong decision. You'd like to have them work. Hopefully, the ball will bounce our way a little more often."

My problem with him is my problem with people in general... it's not about wanting the ball to bounce your way. It's about making the ball bounce however you want it. He's praying for luck instead of making things happen, and that's the sign of a weak person. Winning doesn't happen because God wills it, Dick. :devil::D

Bingo. Good teams make their own opportunities instead of waiting for random bounces.

Basically Jauron is stating the Bills biggest problem this past season was the inability to score points. He states that the defense did pretty well and special teams did pretty well. He goes on to praise Trent Edwards and thinks he will only get better.

Turk Schonert is saying they couldn't throw deep because most times the protection simply wasn't there, plus the fact that Lee Evans was almost never open. Teams know he is the Bills biggest passing threat and so they take him away.

After reading both articles by Jauron and Schonert I have to believe that the bills really want to find that red zone threat, a receiver who can score points when they get inside the 20 and they also need a receiver opposite Evans who can help stretch the field. That said, a top free agent WR and or TE would appear to be a priority.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bills go hard after TJ Housyourmomma as he would solve both problems IMO.

sorry Lori. Ive read it and it won't happen again