How can the Bills keep both Schobel and Kelsay

San-O

The Bills were extremely unproductive this past year getting to the QB or even getting pressure on the QB.

2008 28th in league in sacks

2008 27th in league in INTs

2007 29th in league in sacks

Kelsay had 2 sacks, and Schobel was also nonexistent before going out for the season with 1 sack.

Schobel will be 32 when the season starts and Kelsay will turn 30 during the 2009 season.

Everyone seems now willing to admit DE is possibly the greatest area of need for the team.

How can the Bills keep both or either of these players given the horrible contracts handed out by

Marv, which look to total approx. $ 15 Mil. this coming year?

I have never really been much of a Schobel guy, but how can you pay a a DE $ 9 + Mil a year, who is

coming off a season only playing 5 games, and also likely having to draft a player at this position in 1st round?

:beer:

The Bills were extremely unproductive this past year getting to the QB or even getting pressure on the QB.

Kelsay had 2 sacks, and Schobel was also nonexistent before going out for the season with 1 sack.

Schobel will be 32 when the season starts and Kelsay will turn 30 during the 2009 season.

Everyone seems now willing to admit DE is possibly the greatest area of need for the team.

How can the Bills keep both or either of these players given the horrible contracts handed out by

I have never really been much of a Schobel guy, but how can you pay a a DE $ 9 + Mil a year, who is

coming off a season only playing 5 games, and also likely having to draft a player at this position in 1st round?

You do realize that they just gave a three year contract extension to a career loser as an NFL head coach? This team is enthralled with mediocrity. It's celebrated in fact. There are no consequences to poor performances. They feel that a pat on the back and "just try harder" is all that's needed to right the ship. Chris Kelsay wouldn't last one second on a Belichick coached team. This team is on the fast track of quickly becoming the AFC's version of the Detriot Lions.

You do realize that they just gave a three year contract extension to a career loser as an NFL head coach? This team is enthralled with mediocrity. It's celebrated in fact. There are no consequences to poor performances. They feel that a pat on the back and "just try harder" is all that's needed to right the ship. Chris Kelsay wouldn't last one second on a Belichick coached team. This team is on the fast track of quickly becoming the AFC's version of the Detriot Lions.

so true. The Bills football decisions over the past 10 years...and thru much of their history--have been breathtakingly mediocre. Lets spend 100 million on Kelsay,Scobel,Dockery...and that other mediocre O lineman...--lets keep the mediocrity going

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure we save nothing by cutting Kelsay. But if we get some space for Schobel I say cut him. He's not what he used to be.

Yes, I do. They can keep Jauron because he costs very little, one of the lowest paid coaches in the league,

and ol' Ralph seems to think he's OK. 7 - 9 is just enough to put butts in the seats, so far, blah, blah, blah.

My question was how can the Bills seemingly admit DE is a major need, and still keep both these guys whose

contracts account for approx. $ 15 Mil. of the approx. $ 88 Mil. (per Bill's Daily Front Office's Salary Cap Page)

actual money, or about 17 % - 18 % of the total team player money?

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure we save nothing by cutting Kelsay. But if we get some space for Schobel I say cut him. He's not what he used to be.

I think you're right, the numbers were cap numbers, which really doesn't make any difference any more

as the Bills are so far under the cap, and won't spend the money.

The "cash to cap" deal looks to me to give almost all the money up front, which really puts the team

in a bad position, because the player has little incentive to perform, and the team has little incentive to

dump them as the money is already down the tubes. IMO.

Both these guys simply need to be replaced, fast.