2008 Season Positives

Numark

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/articl...1/902080368/tbd

Some good stuff to be honest in there

Excluding the "home" game in Toronto, Buffalo ranked 7th in the 32-team NFL in average home attendance (71,405).

The Bills have sold out 42 of their past 47 home games and 59 of 71 since 2000. That's impressive considering the team did not reach the playoffs during that span.

QB Trent Edwards' .655 completion percentage (245 of 374) was second-best in team history .... He was 3rd in the NFL in passer rating in the fourth quarter (106.3), behind only Tony Romo (114.7) and Philip Rivers (111.7) .... He had 4 fourth-quarter winning comebacks (a team record).

The Bills are 10-0 when Edwards has a passer rating of at least 80.0 (including 7-0 in 2008) in games he has at least 20 pass attempts.

LB Paul Posluszny led the team with 129 total tackles. DE Ryan Denney was second with 94.

Denney and Kawika Mitchell led the Bills with 4 sacks .... The Bills were outsacked 38-24 .... If there is a pass-rushing defensive end or linebacker available with the No. 11 overall pick in April's college draft, the Bills should seriously consider taking him.

The defensive unit had 97 negative yardage plays, second only to Tennessee (109) in the AFC.

Ranked 14th in the NFL in total defense (31st in 2007 and 18th in 2006).

Looking for positives in Turk Schonert's first season as offensive coordinator: the Bills ranked 2nd in the NFL in percentage of first-down plays of at least 4 yards (51.3), 8th in completion percentage (64.5) and 10th in first-down yards per play (5.73). ... They didn't perform nearly as well on all other downs.

Special teams led the NFL in average drive start (32.4 yard line) and in punt return average (15.5 yards).

Roscoe Parrish's 24 punt returns of at least 20 yards since 2004 are second-most in the NFL (Chicago's Devin Hester has 25).

Ten Bills had TD catches. Only New Orleans and Philadelphia had more (11).

Since Dick Jauron became head coach (2006), the Bills have had the advantage in time of possession in 21 of 48 games. They have a 14-7 record in those games (including 6-4 in 2008).

Jauron was 2 of 9 in replay challenges. ... Obviously, the Bills must improve in this department.

The Bills had a team-record fewest penalties (71) and fewest yards penalized (538) in a 16-game season) .... That's a positive sign of discipline.

Tallest starting offensive line in the NFL (average height 6-6) .... and the heaviest (335.4 average weight). ...They weren't the quickest nor the strongest nor the stingiest.

Lee Evans is the only NFL wide receiver to average at least 15.0 yards per catch in each of the past five seasons. ... Evans leads the NFL with 6 TD catches of 70 yards or more since 2000.

The Bills had 30 giveaways that opponents converted into 6 touchdowns and 11 field goals. Since 2006, they are 10-2 in games they had at least three takeaways.

The Bills had 22 takeaways and converted them into 8 touchdowns and 6 field goals.

Parrish has led the NFL in punt return average each of the past two seasons (15.9-yard average).

The Bills reached the red zone (opponent's 20-yard line) 51 times and had 24 TDs (48.0 percent) and 17 field goals (34.0 percent) ....

Opponents had 56 trips inside the red zone and had 24 TDs (42.9 percent) and 22 field goals (39.3 percent).

Only five players have been Pro Bowl selections (Terrence McGee, Brian Moorman, Marcus Stroud, Jason Peters and Marshawn Lynch).

The 22 starters from Week 1 were the third-youngest average age in the NFL (26.59 years) .... Many of the inexperienced players are likely to improve.

Cool. Thanks for that post.

I love this part:

"The Bills are 10-0 when Edwards has a passer rating of at least 80.0 (including 7-0 in 2008) in games he has at least 20 pass attempts."

That is a very telling stat to me. It says that Trent must stay healthy and start all 16. It says that if Peters is happy and ready, the O-Line is rolling and Trent stays vertical and can complete passes. It says that by having a good ground game and being a run-first offense, we can take pressure off Trent and give him an easier time in the pass game with defenses cheating up.

QB is the most important position in football. I'm a pro-Trent guy and think he's the future. For those of you who aren't, like it or not, Trent is our QB and as Trent goes, so do the Bills.

We need to get Peters locked up and in camp, get the center position solved, unleash Beastmode and Coe more often, and bring in a pass catching TE. Do that and with some defensive upgrades, we're playoff bound.

Cool. Thanks for that post.

I love this part:

"The Bills are 10-0 when Edwards has a passer rating of at least 80.0 (including 7-0 in 2008) in games he has at least 20 pass attempts."

That is a very telling stat to me. I says that Trent must stay healthy and start all 16. It says that if Peters is happy and ready, the O-Line is rolling and Trent stays vertical and can complete passes. It says that by having a good ground game and being a run-first offense, we can take pressure off Trent and give him an easier time in the pass game with defenses cheating up.

QB is the most important position in football. I'm a pro-Trent guy and think he's the future. For those of you who aren't, like it or not, Trent is our QB and as Trent goes, so do the Bills.

We need to get Peters locked up and in camp, get the center position solved, unleash Beastmode and Coe more often, and bring in a pass catching TE. Do that and with some defensive upgrades, we're playoff bound.

I'm with you a %100 on everything you said.

Establish our offense through the Run with Beastmode and Jackson, keep Trent healthy, lock up Peters, get a good pass catching TE and some defensive upgrades. :thumbsup:

I'm with you a %100 on everything you said.

Establish our offense through the Run with Beastmode and Jackson, keep Trent healthy, lock up Peters, get a good pass catching TE and some defensive upgrades. :thumbsup:

However, the sad truth is, that is a LOT to ASK the Bills to do in ONE off-season. If the Bills did that, they will not be able to address the Defense in any manner. That defense is a smoke and mirror defense...IT can't stop people without any pass rush.