What Is RB Jackson's Worth to the Bills ....???

Kenwick

As we all know RB Jackson of the Buffalo Bills contract is up. He deserves a new and fair contract. I believe we all know that.

The question is:

What is a fair contract for Jackson in terms of salary?

Will Wilson pay him as little as he can or will he be willing to give him a fair contract and pay him what he is worth to the team.

If that is the case. What kind of money should the Bills pay him and for how many years.....???

As we all know RB Jackson of the Buffalo Bills contract is up. He deserves a new and fair contract. I believe we all know that.

The question is:

What is a fair contract for Jackson in terms of salary?

Will Wilson pay him as little as he can or will he be willing to give him a fair contract and pay him what he is worth to the team.

If that is the case. What kind of money should the Bills pay him and for how many years.....???

easily 7.5 over 3 years--as someone mentioned on another thread

Didn't realize we had parallel threads going. Here's what I published on the other one:

Pricing Fred Jackson is a bit tough. The USA Today Database, which is a great resource doesn't however list average compensation over the length of the contract. On top of that there are things like "likely to be reached" and "unlikely to be reached" bonuses and the fact that signing bonuses are generally guaranteed but salaries are not, etc.

Keep in mind also that many of these highly drafted running backs on their rookie contracts (Peterson, Mendenhall) will make considerably more on their 2nd contracts. That's why guys like Edgerrin James and Deuce McAllister are among the most highly paid RBs and rookie stars like Matt Forte are not.

So looking at their database, there's lot of information that we don't have so it's not as simple as, for instance, looking at real estate "comparables."

Another factor is that Freddie, in my view, is not a chump number two running back but more of a 1B type, someone who can pinch hit (such as in week 17) and do it very well. Like someone mentioned earlier, he's very similar in value to Kenneth Davis was. I would say he deserves to be paid at around the level of the 40th best running back in the NFL.

That being said here's some relevant numbers:

$460,000: The amount the Bills would have to pay him to retain his rights.

$2 million: The total compensation for the 40th highest paid running back in the league (Michael Bennett, TB Bucs). Mewelde Moore and Lamont Jordan also make in this range.

$2.1 million: Jonathan Stewart, rookie 1st round pick of the Carolina Panthers

$2.35 million: Ladell Betts, considered one of the better backup running backs

$2.65 million: Marshawn Lynch

$3.0 million: Kevin Faulk, steady veteran who does everything well and nothing spectacular

$3.1 million: Chester Taylor, considered one of the better backup running backs

$6.6 million: 2009 NFL Franchise Tag amount

Here's that link again: http://content.usatoday.com/sports/footbal...aspx?Loc=Vanity

Seems like a 3 year, $6-6.5 million deal with $4.5 million guaranteed would be fair.

The Bills know what type of player he is. I think they will also use him as an example of a guy who outplays his contract, yet is a smart, team player that shuts up about it until it's time to talk money.

If we can get a C, top TE, and a solid top 3 receiver to go with Evans and Reed..(aw shucks, same as last year)....Jackson will be a star. How nice would it be to run some hurry-up with Jackson, then bring Marshawn in for a change of pace and the 4th quarter to protect a lead? It is so close....if the front office learned from their mistakes last year.