Beef On Weck

jax bill backer

:wallbash: Thanks Dean

I read an account of a guy who worked for Arby's describing the beef loaf as liquid, and forming into beef in the oven. I can imagine that some of their employees probably thing it IS liquid, as it looks that way in the bag. It's pretty funny, IMO.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember a place on rt 20 and California road-a old,OLD farm house-huge trees in front-that I think was connected to Steve's p+o. I was working at best dodge at the time,just down the road,so I ate lunch there often. The roast beef was killer. May be gone now though.

Burned down quite a few years ago.

The best beef, IMO..and awesome German potato salad.

I'm shocked fewer people have mentioned it. Has it gone downhill?

It was considered the best, for years and years, by most food critics, I thought.

I also used to like the Creekside's BOW, hand carved at the bar, and the one at Annacone's, too...although that one depended on the day, sometimes.

It was considered the best, for years and years, by most food critics, I thought.

I also used to like the Creekside's BOW, hand carved at the bar, and the one at Annacone's, too...although that one depended on the day, sometimes.

I have memories of Bailo's. There were always vague rumors of them using horsemeat, but their serving was huge. Whatever happened to them? IIRC, they closed up after I left WNY (1978). I don't know what happened - they were pretty popular.

I also have some dim memory of another eatery, more north, closer to William St., that also had a decent B 'n W.

That is where I make all of the wholesalers that come into our office take us.....mmmmmmmmm.....The Best Jerry...The BEST

I have memories of Bailo's. There were always vague rumors of them using horsemeat, but their serving was huge. Whatever happened to them? IIRC, they closed up after I left WNY (1978). I don't know what happened - they were pretty popular.

I also have some dim memory of another eatery, more north, closer to William St., that also had a decent B 'n W.

Bailo's was a different sort of BOW. Meat more well done, and served with gravy (not au jus). Not my cup-o-beef, but good for what it was, and an excellent value. Fires with gravy, too.

Not according to the former Courier express:

Just before the start of the 1901 Pan American Exposition in Buffalo, NY, Joe Gohn (1862-1949) purchased a small saloon which he called the Delaware house, located at Delaware and Delavan Streets. The Delaware House was located on the northwest corner across the street from one of the exposition’s main entrances. He enlarged the house to offer hotel-style rooms for the exposition travelers. It was never called a hotel, but in order to have a whiskey license, he had to have ten bedrooms and provide sitting rooms for his customers.

According to family history, street trolleys loaded with people headed for the exposition were let off near the veranda of the John Gohn’s Delaware House. Since Joe had turned his house into a hotel and tavern to house and feed the hungry people, he decided that a roast beef sandwich and a cold beer would taste good to these travelers. Joe had a German baker working for him who was already making the rolls for the Delaware House. This baker, name unknown, suggested adding the caraway seeds and salt to the top of the rolls as they did in Germany. In Germany, this type of roll was called a kummelweck with nickname of weck. These sandwiches soon became very popular, and of course, the kummelweck helped to create extra thirsty patrons for selling a lot of beer.

The original Delaware House was purchased by the Standard Oil Company in 1931. It was later razed and a has a gas station on the site. Joe Gohn then purchased the building next door and converted it into a tavern, called Gohn’s Tavern. He continued serving his now famous Beef on Weck sandwiches. In later years, he sold the tavern and it became Meyer’s Tavern, which for many years continued selling the Beef on Weck sandwich with great popularity.

History

Great stuff, thanks - I love all the BuffTown history we get from time-to-time on TBD. Interestingly, that old tavern would have stood right on the corner where Polino's Mobile station sits and right next to the site of what once was 'The Locker Room' - which also had an excellent Beef-on-Weck!

I am shocked no one has mentioned Eckl's, in Orchard Park - so I will. One of the most savory, delicious, melt-in-your-mouth BoW's I've ever tasted. Great pies, too.