Great College Hockey Weekend

Andrew in CA

Game 2 of the #1 Notre Dame- #8 Michigan home and home is just underway... last night's game was enthralling, ND's goalie is one of the best I've ever seen. Plus, the best meaningless tourney in sports, the Beanpot, is underway Monday. I look forward to it every year.

This should be the most entertaining beanpot in recent years. Soon to be #1 in the nation BU and then current #3 Northeastern and #11 BC. The hockey scene is really booming in Boston this year. Thank god these good hockey teams distract me from the annoying Bruins bandwagon fans.

Any excuse to drink heavily on a monday is good in my book.

This should be the most entertaining beanpot in recent years. Soon to be #1 in the nation BU and then current #3 Northeastern and #11 BC. The hockey scene is really booming in Boston this year. Thank god these good hockey teams distract me from the annoying Bruins bandwagon fans.

Any excuse to drink heavily on a monday is good in my book.

No doubt, this is gonna be a good one. I thought NU looked primed for its first Beanpot in 20 or so years, but that loss to UMass last nite does not bode well, considering how they dropped off around this time last season. You going to any of the games? I miss that atmosphere...

No doubt, this is gonna be a good one. I thought NU looked primed for its first Beanpot in 20 or so years, but that loss to UMass last nite does not bode well, considering how they dropped off around this time last season. You going to any of the games? I miss that atmosphere...

Obviously BU is the favorite since they always win it, but that team is an absolute juggernaut right now. Not only have they been beating good teams, they've been slaughtering them. They're a real treat to watch.

I'll be there for both games. Working basically right across the street makes that pretty easy.

BU is certainly the favorite now, especially since they have doormat Harvard to cruise over in the first round. I haven't gotten a chance to see them play- I've probably seen more CCHA games on TV than Hockey East- but from what I read, they are for real. I'm planning on finding the Beanpot somewhere, so I'm excited to see how they look.

Also, great finish to last night's Notre Dame- Michigan game. I think Michigan got robbed at the end there, the refs were too quick to blow the whistle, the puck was still loose. That said, Michigan got outplayed solidly for the first 2 periods. Also, Minnesota St. sweeping Minnesota for the first time ever? This will not look good on Minnesota's resume if they are on the bubble in a month.

The only way Minnesota ends up on the bubble is if they go into the tank for the rest of the year. It's completely possible, but they're too good of a team to end up in that situation.

Since I went to BU, I'd like to say that I'm a bit biased on my opinion of them, but I've distanced myself from the team a bit in the last few years. I've been trying to watch the conference as a whole now, so I think it's safe to say that there isn't much bias in my statement that BU is legit. The balance on that team is incredible. Each line can score at any point... and they usually do. They should end up in the frozen four, but you can never be sure with single elimination or injuries.

I fully expect BC to be there too. York is the best in the business and he gets them to play on the big stage. So until they're actually eliminated, I'll be expecting to see them playing in the final.

On second thought, you are right re: Minnesota- though they are 4th in the WCHA, their overall record should be enough to keep them in- I thought they were around #15 nationally, not top 10. Though they looked like crap this weekend, it is the only time I've seen them all year, so they are most likely better than I perceive them to be.

I don't doubt at all that BU is legit- though they had a down year last year, the talent was clearly there, so I am not surprised whatsoever to see them where they are. They have as good chance as any- if not the best- to make it to DC. Like you said though, you never know with that gauntlet of a tourney.

Thanks for the kind words about York and BC, and I would put York and Parker on equal footing as icons of the sport, but I doubt they have a run like last year left in them- they used a lot of good fortune and Nathan Gerbe to make the run that they did. I think they'll make the tourney, and they have the talent to go far this year, but whether they can put it all together, I don't know. Like last year, the talent is there, but I have not seen the will, so to speak. Enjoy the Beanpot, I'll be watching.

It wasn't just Gerbe though. They've been in the finals three years in a row. Sure, last year was the Gerbe show, but Brian Boyle played a huge roll in the previous two years. The rest of the team definitely helped, but they've had some strong leadership on top of it all over those three years. I keep hearing from people very close to that team that it is what is killing them right now and why they won't go as far this year. Like I said earlier though, I won't believe they're dead until they actually get eliminated.

It's a shame that Niagara has decided to drop down to the Atlantic league and reduce their scholarships, now there won't be any contending teams from Western NY anymore. They're going in the opposite direction of UB Football.

What's the story there, they're joining Atlantic Hockey? If that's the case, they really don't have much of a choice. The CHA is dead. The best fit for Niagara would be the ECAC, but they're not going to expand past the 12 teams they already have. The CCHA would probably be a good fit geographically, but they won't go beyond 12 teams either.

The WCHA is the only major conference that is willing to expand, but I can't see Niagara as a realistic option. I could see the school being willing to take on the brutal travel that would be necessary. If Alaska-Anchorage can do it, they can. They just don't have the facilities that league would be looking for.

I'd love to see Niagara thrive. They've got a great hockey market to tap into for both fans and recruits. It looks like too tough a road though. The best I can see happening there is they form a nice little rivalry with RIT, which could eventually force the ECAC to take both of them. They like to stick to a travel partners schedule, so those two schools would work (especially since I can't see Canisius as a serious program).

Here's the story about Niagara hockey.

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns...ory/564516.html

That column is a bunch of crap. Like I said earlier, no other conference is a viable option. The WCHA is the only one open to expansion, but they're just doing that for Bemidji. The ECAC is the best fit, but they won't be expanding anytime soon. Hockey East isn't an option. They're all New England and they're not about to suddenly change that by bringing in Niagara. The CCHA hasn't had any recent talk of expansion.

Niagara has to play somewhere. They could've gone the independent route again, but no one would be willing to play them. Atlantic Hockey is their only option. If they can go out and continue to put together strong teams, dominating that league, they'll eventually force the ECAC's hand. Unfortunately, it's going to take a while to do that.

Well, that was embarrassing for BC. A good 1st period, aside from Sneep's boneheaded move to allow a goal, was the only time it was even interesting. Muse was horrendous, clearly, but credit still goes to NU for a strong PP and keeping BC down while they continued to build their lead. I missed the first game, which was much more exciting from what I've read. That's one of the things I love about the Beanpot- throw the records out, Harvard, with only 5 wins on the year, gave #1 BU a run for their money until the very end. The final next week will be a major must see, and I will finally get to watch BU for the first time this year. As for BC's season, they need to put this totally behind them, stop with the foolish penalties, and get to work. The rest of their season is manageable, and if they don't take advantage, they could be on the outside looking in come April. If the tourney started right now, they would be.

Yeah, that was one full day of the completely unexpected. The BU-Harvard game was a hell of a lot of fun. Once BU got their first, it really felt like they were about to start their roll, but you have to give Harvard credit for getting back in that game in the 3rd. I have no idea how anyone in the arena actually thought that goal at the end was before the buzzer, but still, an interesting way to end a game.

The BC game was an obvious let down. That one was the clear favorite for the game of the night but that didn't happen. I was significantly liquored up at that point though (god I love this tournament), so I didn't really mind.

That BU-NU final has incredible potential. They are by far the two biggest fan bases at these games. Each school's "student sections" are right next to each other and they'll end up filling up about half of the upper bowl. The atmosphere is going to be great. It's nice to see NU with a good program again, because there is so much more energy in their crowds now. I might not even need the beer next week. The back and forth between those two groups may be entertaining enough... but I'll still have the beer too. :wallbash:

edit: There are some stories of a flu bug floating around the BU locker room. That could have a major impact (and may have yesterday).