Let's get a quarterback

PushthePile

The backup quarterback situation is going to be vacant soon and we need to fill it with somebody who most likely will see the field. I'm not sold on any of the free agents and don't think we should spend a roster spot on someone who is going to be Trent's big brother. I hate the thought of bringing in a veteran to do the job of a qb coach. With that being said I'm hoping the FO sees this as a need and takes a qb in the draft. I don't think it's too far off from the thinking that we had when we drafted Trent to backup JP. Personally I'd like Rhett Bomar and would love to see him in a Bills uniform. His stock is certainly going to rise and it would probably end up meaning trading back into the second to get him. It might seem like alot for a backup quarterback but I think he could compete eventually for the starting position. This wouldn't signal the end of Trent but it would mean competition. I would love to hear others thoughts on this position and other possible prospects. Again I'm not seeing any free agents I want but I'm sure others feel differently, so flame away. I know Rhett had his issues at OU but the kid got it done at Sam Houston and has a great skill set. His infractions at OU are serious but not of a disturbing nature. Any thoughts?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pat White. Dude could play some Single Wing for us right off the bat. He really improved his passing technique his senior year, and from what I have heard looks great in the pocket at the Senior Bowl. Has value outside of the QB position as well.

The backup quarterback situation is going to be vacant soon and we need to fill it with somebody who most likely will see the field. I'm not sold on any of the free agents and don't think we should spend a roster spot on someone who is going to be Trent's big brother. I hate the thought of bringing in a veteran to do the job of a qb coach. With that being said I'm hoping the FO sees this as a need and takes a qb in the draft. I don't think it's too far off from the thinking that we had when we drafted Trent to backup JP. Personally I'd like Rhett Bomar and would love to see him in a Bills uniform. His stock is certainly going to rise and it would probably end up meaning trading back into the second to get him. It might seem like alot for a backup quarterback but I think he could compete eventually for the starting position. This wouldn't signal the end of Trent but it would mean competition. I would love to hear others thoughts on this position and other possible prospects. Again I'm not seeing any free agents I want but I'm sure others feel differently, so flame away. I know Rhett had his issues at OU but the kid got it done at Sam Houston and has a great skill set. His infractions at OU are serious but not of a disturbing nature. Any thoughts?

The thing is, the front office knew JP was crap. That's why they drafted another quarterback. JP wasn't Marv's guy.

Maybe you are right and they do the same thing but I'd rather not waste a draft pick when we have so many needs to address. If you're talking about a 6th or 7th rounder, fine but a 2nd rounder? Hell no. Did you hear the Bills aren't raising their season ticket prices which means they will likely spend the minimum in free agency, which in turn means we better draft like gods or we're going to suck yet again.

Pat White. Dude could play some Single Wing for us right off the bat. He really improved his passing technique his senior year, and from what I have heard looks great in the pocket at the Senior Bowl. Has value outside of the QB position as well.

Any guess to where he might go in the draft?

I am curious to see what the Bills do if Sanchez falls to 11. I had a thread that talked about the Bills behind scenes rumored interest in Cassel, so if it there was any truth to it that makes me wonder how much faith the FO has in Trent. Of course they will pubicly support him, he is our QB as of right now. But if they are looking at options behind the scenes, makes me wonder if they surprise us all and consider Sanchez at 11 if he is there and has a good combine.

Personally, I live in SoCal and I am undecided on my opinnion of Sanchez. At this point, DE would be the must go direction with #11 or Raji, but who knows what the FO does if Sanchez has a great combine and falls in their lap. I mean we were apparently going to grab Cutler that one year and no one was really talking about that before the draft until Denver nabbed him...

Well, I really like Pat White, but I'm not totally sold on him as a NFL QB. Great speed and vision, but his passing is untested. Still he'll probably be an early day 2 pick as a utility offensive player. Truthfully, he could be really dangerous in a Wildcat offense somewhere. Time will tell. I would like to see how he throws at the combine vs what the other QBs do. I'd take a flyer on him in the 5th round or later.

I am curious to see what the Bills do if Sanchez falls to 11. I had a thread that talked about the Bills behind scenes rumored interest in Cassel, so if it there was any truth to it that makes me wonder how much faith the FO has in Trent. Of course they will pubicly support him, he is our QB as of right now. But if they are looking at options behind the scenes, makes me wonder if they surprise us all and consider Sanchez at 11 if he is there and has a good combine.

Personally, I live in SoCal and I am undecided on my opinnion of Sanchez. At this point, DE would be the must go direction with #11 or Raji, but who knows what the FO does if Sanchez has a great combine and falls in their lap. I mean we were apparently going to grab Cutler that one year and no one was really talking about that before the draft until Denver nabbed him...

I'll repeat..

NOT ANOTHER CALIFORNIA QUARTERBACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll repeat..

NOT ANOTHER CALIFORNIA QUARTERBACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO...so you wouldnt take Carson Palmer or Matt Cassel? They are both CA QB's of recent years...banning a state for a position is a little retarted dont you think...

Besides, I just said I dont know how I feel about him and dont want the Bills to draft him...I was just speculating if Sanchez falls what would the Bills do if he had a strong combine. I mean we were going to take Cutler when no one expected it, we took JP when no one expected it, and we took Trent when no one expected it...all first day picks...

The thing is, the front office knew JP was crap. That's why they drafted another quarterback. JP wasn't Marv's guy.

Maybe you are right and they do the same thing but I'd rather not waste a draft pick when we have so many needs to address. If you're talking about a 6th or 7th rounder, fine but a 2nd rounder? Hell no. Did you hear the Bills aren't raising their season ticket prices which means they will likely spend the minimum in free agency, which in turn means we better draft like gods or we're going to suck yet again.

I agree that Edwards is not in the same boat as Losman was but at the same time he has alot of question marks around him as well. His ability to stay healthy is a major one and that has a dramatic effect on any season. I know it's not considered by most as a critical need but personally I think that it's crucial to next years plans. I wouldn't reach for someone with our two first day picks but if you have the opportunity to trade back in for a guy you like, I say go for it.

LMAO...so you wouldnt take Carson Palmer or Matt Cassel? They are both CA QB's of recent years...banning a state for a position is a little retarted dont you think...

Besides, I just said I dont know how I feel about him and dont want the Bills to draft him...I was just speculating if Sanchez falls what would the Bills do if he had a strong combine. I mean we were going to take Cutler when no one expected it, we took JP when no one expected it, and we took Trent when no one expected it...all first day picks...

Listen, the Bills didn't draft Palmer or Cassel so they don't count. When the Bills draft a California quarterback, it's bad news man and Sanchez is BAD NEWS if the Bills draft him.

Seriously, and you live there so you should know this, he isn't worth a 1st round pick. Please tell me you agree with me on this?

The funny thing about Cutler is, we were GOING to draft him if he fell to us. Just like we were GOING to draft BIG BEN. I'm sure we were GOING to draft Brady when he fell to the 7th round...

So let me put this on my no-draft score card: 1. no texas players 2. no cali qbs 3. no db's especially from the state of ohio 4. no first round tightends or centers 5. no more good character/ high motor players 6. no wideouts under 6-3 7. no DE's under 280 any more?

So let me put this on my no-draft score card: 1. no texas players 2. no cali qbs 3. no db's especially from the state of ohio 4. no first round tightends or centers 5. no more good character/ high motor players 6. no wideouts under 6-3 7. no DE's under 280 any more?

No trading up either. Doesn't seem to work out for us. Other than that, you're golden.

Pat White will be there in round 4. I have a hunch. then we strike!!!!

Do you think Pat White has the ability to be a starting QB in the NFL? I think he's one of these system guys who might not be able to transition smoothly. He is a great athlete and deserves a look for sure but he might be suited for another position or role.