2009 Draft and DE's

No,he may ultimately be a great DE someday. I just dislike undersized DE's,I'm fed up with the Bills bad rush defense and would rather see the Bills get a FA DE like Peppers rather then draft some undersized kid that has to gain weight/ muscle to get better.

The Bills already have a super lightweight DE in Schobel,do you honestly think another 250 lb, hands down on the line DE will help the Bills run defense?

No. Because that's not what they're trying to improve if they get a 250lb DE. They are trying to improve the pass rush? :flirt:

If they wanted to improve the run at the DE position, they obviously wouldn't look at a small end...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Because that's not what they're trying to improve if they get a 250lb DE. They are trying to improve the pass rush? :thumbsup:

If they wanted to improve the run at the DE position, they obviously wouldn't look at a small end...

To date I haven't heard anything from OBD about needing another pass rushing DE as a high priority,from all the fans yes,from the Bills coaches, nothing.Looking at the stats from last season and previous seasons I'd rather see them go after a bigger DE, I must be in the minority though.

If someone has read anywhere that the Bills FO is looking at drafting a pass rushing DE with the 11th pick please post it :flirt:

To date I haven't heard anything from OBD about needing another pass rushing DE as a high priority,from all the fans yes,from the Bills coaches, nothing.Looking at the stats from last season and previous seasons I'd rather see them go after a bigger DE, I must be in the minority though.

If someone has read anywhere that the Bills FO is looking at drafting a pass rushing DE with the 11th pick please post it :flirt:

The Billd tied for 28th in the NFL with a paltry 24 sacks. Only 8 sacks came from DEs. Perhaps 8 sacks from 5 DEs is fine by you, but its not fine by 99% of people on here and everyone in the media. If you actually watched any of the games this season, you'd see that the Bills had lots of problems pressuring the QB, and pressure form the front 4 (DEs in particular) was non-existent. Sure none of us are coaches, but its painfully obvious that major upgrades are needed in the pass rush department, specifically at DE.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1...59-b0933d0fa7e1

There’s little debate that the Bills need a big boost for their pass rush. With a limited free agent market for pass rushing talent, the draft is the next logical place to turn. Often NFL teams have to grab a pass rusher early if they want an immediate impact, and after just 50 sacks over the last two seasons Buffalo has to address the need.

I don't care. Stop the bull sh-- excuses. Take Orakpo if he's there. It is worth the gamble. Best pass rusher available. NO MORE KELSEY!

gamble is not something you do with your first round pick! you better make sure it is used wisely and fits your scheme. i would prefer to have a front four that stopped the run and got pressure on the q.b. all by themselves. if orakpo is part of that great, if your getting pressure with the front four and throw a blitzer in occasionally that will shake 'em up.

i personally don't care much when so and so says blah, blah, blah, if they were great talent evaluators they would be coaches in the n.f.l. and paid alot of money to do so. they would maybe even be g.m.'s. so with that being said i like tyson jackson or raji in the first. i would like for us to take fili moala out of u.s.c., he is ngata's cousin, big and can add on weight easily. i would like to see us stop the run with the front four and get pressure up the middle thus freeing up the other seven to roam and make plays. run and stop the run wins ball games.

The Billd tied for 28th in the NFL with a paltry 24 sacks. Only 8 sacks came from DEs. Perhaps 8 sacks from 5 DEs is fine by you, but its not fine by 99% of people on here and everyone in the media. If you actually watched any of the games this season, you'd see that the Bills had lots of problems pressuring the QB, and pressure form the front 4 (DEs in particular) was non-existent. Sure none of us are coaches, but its painfully obvious that major upgrades are needed in the pass rush department, specifically at DE.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1...59-b0933d0fa7e1

Lets not forget that the Bills best pass rusher was injured most of the season,so naturally the sack total will go down. It kind of alarms me to see that lack of production when one player goes down with an injury.

Reflecting on this, what makes you think that since this Bills staff hasn't been able to obtain anyone equal to or better then Schobel the last few years, that their piss poor talent evaluation skills will suddenly correct themselves and the Bills will get a superstar DE in the draft?

I have no faith in this Bills coaching staff OR front office to have the ability to draft someone even close to Schobel's ability,it's why I mentioned going after a FA rather then draft a player,especially another undersized DE when the Bills already have 5 that are not getting the job done at pass rushing.

Bryon Copeland 6' 4" 240

Ryan Denny 6' 7'' 264

Chris Kelsay 6' 4'' 261

Cory Mace 6' 3'' 294-listed on the roster and has one tackle

Ryan Neikll 6' 3'' 253

Arron Schobel 6' 4'' 243

IR Chris Ellis 6' 4'' 261- the Bills drafted him in the 3rd round last year,did he even play a down?

If I had a say in anything I'd go full bore after Suggs, yeah at 6' 3'' and 260. but at least I'd know I'm getting a super star pass rusher.

Suggs is an instrumental piece of a defense that ranked second in the NFL during the regular season. He led the Ravens with eight sacks, had a career-high 102 tackles and intercepted two passes, taking one back for a touchdown.

gamble is not something you do with your first round pick! you better make sure it is used wisely and fits your scheme. i would prefer to have a front four that stopped the run and got pressure on the q.b. all by themselves. if orakpo is part of that great, if your getting pressure with the front four and throw a blitzer in occasionally that will shake 'em up.

That is exactly what the Tampa 2 defense is all about,only the front 4 doing all the pass rushing.

There are several big names that I keep reading about on this board that people want to draft as DE's.

Mike Mayock projects 4/5 of these guys as OLB's:Top 5 Defensive Ends

1, Brian Orakpo (OLB) Rush LB

2, Everette Brown (OLB) Rush LB

3, Tyson Jackson - only true DE

4, Aaron Maybin (OLB)

5, Larry English (OLB)

Its worth noting that Mayock compares Larry English to Lamar Woodly of the Steelers.

As for drafting a center this year, its my take that it will usually take 2-3 years for an O-linemen fully develop,do the bills have this much time to get better? They should grab a really good FA center if they can.

BJ Raji is listed as a defensive tackle and not a DE

I wouldn't complain if they go after TE Brandon Pettigrew, WR Percy Harvin, WR Jeremy Maclin or one of those OLB's listed above.

Mel Kiper's picks"

1 Detroit Matthew Stafford QB Georgia

2 St. Louis Andre Smith OT Alabama

3 Kansas City Mark Sanchez QB USC

4 Seattle Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech

5 Cleveland Aaron Curry LB Wake Forest

6 Cincinnati Jason Smith OT Baylor

7 Oakland Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri

8 Jacksonville Eugene Monroe OT Virginia

9 Green Bay Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio St.

10 San Francisco Aaron Maybin DE/OLB Penn St.

11 Buffalo Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma St.

12 Denver B.J. Raji DT Boston College

13 Washington Brian Orakpo DE Texas

14 New Orleans Vontae Davis CB Illinois

15 Houston Everette Brown DE Florida St.

16 San Diego Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia

with our needs you cant be serious about drafting a WR @#11 thats insane. we will draft a DE,LB,or TE @ 11 if the bills dont get a center in free agency then IMO we would try to drop down to get a center.

with our needs you cant be serious about drafting a WR @#11 thats insane. we will draft a DE,LB,or TE @ 11 if the bills dont get a center in free agency then IMO we would try to drop down to get a center.

I am completely serious,the Bills really need to find another receiver somewhere to open up the passing game. Josh Reed is a possession guy so TJ H would help, but not as much as a game breaker on the other side of Lee Evans.

Crabtree will go to the Seahawks at 4, Maclin will go to the Raiders at 7 and if Percy Harvin is there at 11 and the Bills went for him,I wouldn't cry, all these guys are game breakers. Last year there weren't any receivers worthy of a first round pick. This year with all the underclassmen declaring there might be 5-6 receivers going in the first.

I wouldn't even be unhappy if Sanchez or Stafford are there at 11 and the Bills take either one. True franchise QB's are rare and if Edwards continues to develop into one fine,if not the Bills will have one in one of those two.

Trust me, if Edwards plays great and the Bills want to move either of those two QB's by next mid season to a team looking for a QB because of injuries,they will get the farm for him.

I wouldn't cry if they go after TE Brandon Pettigrew either,from what I've seen of him he is a great blocker and catches anything thrown close to him.

About the only positions I'd rather not see the Bills go after with that #11 is a Center and an undersized DE as it would take some time to develop them. Unless somebody really steps up in the senior bowl or combine as it is still very early to properly evaluate any of these players just yet.

• 2 weeks later...
Because as a coach, you have what's called a "philosophy." It is a specific scheme that you have studied and mastered over the years, to the point where you know every tiny aspect of what every position is supposed to do and where they are supposed to be in all situations, and feel comfortable teaching that system and executing it. Every coach has a philosophy, and as an owner, that is what you hire. For example, Rex Ryan runs his 3-4 defense, that is his "philosophy." As the owner of the Jets, that is what you are hiring for your team and your players. You can't expect a coach to just come into a team, and all of a sudden be blessed with whatever knowledge of the scheme best fits the players already there. You can't expect Ryan to come in and say hey, I think we have the players to run the Tampa-2. Ryan doesn't know the Tampa-2, therefore he can't teach it to his players. That would be like you going to school to be an engineer, and when you start looking for a job, your wife says, "Well there are tons financial advisor jobs, why can't you take one of those."

Thank goodness for Pittsburgh Steelers fans that Mike Tomlin didn't buy your rot and bring his Tampa-2 system to Pittsburgh and kick Dick LeBeau to the curb.

Hey...saw a good mock at http://draftzoo.com It has us getting Orakpo and Unger, which I know isn't surprising, but I like it. I just don't think there is anyway that we take Pettigrew that early. And even if Coffman is around in round two, I think we should take a center and worry about a tight end later. Shawn Nelson out of Southern Miss might be available in round 3 and he is as good a pass catcher as a lot of guys. Plus Cornelius Ingram and Travis Beckum will probably be around at TE late because of injuries and both are great receivers from the TE postion. Anyway, that site has the combine invite list posted too.

Plus Cornelius Ingram

oh man, Ingram. Totally forgot about him. This guy was damn near uncoverable.

Due to his injury his stock should be down. I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him in the later rounds.

I mentioned it because I've been reading some stating that the bills should take Raji, who is a DT and not a DE which is a need for the Bills.

DT is also a need, WILDRABBIT, especially DTs who can get to the QB like Raji. I would love to get Raji, personally. My list would be:

1) Raji

2) Mack

3) Orakpo

4) Brown

5) Maybin

6) Pettigrew

Maybin needs to add bulk to excell at the next level. I hope everyone realizes that heights and weights are subjective until the combime. Remember when Deshawn Jackson was 6'1? when James Hardy was 6'7"? I have read plenty of articles that say Maybin is closer to 230-240 range. However, if DHB is as advertised, 6'3", 205(seen alot of reads that confirm) we should target him and get an LB later on. DHB could be the playmaker we need to open this offense up.

Except for the guys who went to the Senior Bowl. They have already been officially weighted and measured.

I wholeheartedly agree that a dynamic playmaker is needed @ WR oposite Evans. Until Hardy develops, which I hope he does, we need a wr like DHB, Maclin or even Harvin. All of them have great upsides and can rely on their tremendous althletic gifts until they can hone their skills @ WR( much like D.Jackson)

I think Maclin has a chance to go higher than Crabtree. His ability as a returner will offset his "rawness" and appeal to many teams. His speed is extraordinary, and his RAC skills are top flight, and he has the size to go across the middle.

I think Harvin will be a dynamic player as well nut he will be limited by his size.

DHB, appears to be the total package, arguably the most althetically gifted WR this year, he has a great frame,( another 15lbs are possible with little or no loss in the speed department) Great height(as I stated earlier, heights and weights are subjective till the combine) and plays with a nastyness you want in todays WR. Lets not forget that even if he isnt 6'3", a sub 4.3 forty and verticle of 40 inches is to say the least, intriguing.

Crabtree/DHB @ 11. A decent FA center and a prospect to groom, Resign Crowell, A healthy Schoeble and someone(anyone!!!) not named denny/kelsay on the other side. A trade like Winslow(the browns need a CB and we are DEEEEEEP @ CB...Youboty and a 4th?...anyone?) to make a legit recieving TE. A legit backup QB (J.P.Wilson?) and a RG. That would put the fate of the 2009 seadon soley in Dick's hands. Alot of holes left to fill, damn you Taylor Mays.

The problem with this is found in your own words "until Hardy develops." By drafting someone in the first, you are all but eliminating the possibility of Hardy ever developing. None of the guys you mentioned, nor Hardy, is a good pick for slot reciever. Lee Evans is glued in place, so you will basically have Hardy competing with whoever you pick here. Which would mean that either a second (Hardy) or a first (your first-round pick) would be wasted.

This just doesn't make sense. We do need a reciever to be a bridge to Hardy, but it should be a mid-level FA who can immediately be ready, unlike the rookies you project. Rookies almost always take time to develop, which would again put us in a position where we now have two guys who are not ready, and then a few years down the road, hopefully two guys who are ready but only one place to put them.

It just doesn't make sense.