Murtha: OK to send Gitmo prisoners to Pennsylvania.

They probably get better treatment at Gitmo than they would at Attica. What's the big deal where they're imprisoned, the fact remains that they're imprisoned. I'm sure they'll be under greater than normal scrutiny wherever they are.

Are they in Gitmo to be imprisoned, or because somebody thinks there is intelligence to be learned?

If the latter, then presumably it does make a difference where and by whom they are detained. If the former, then it seems to me that if we are to treat all terrorists equally then they should all get to stay in a comfy US prison. What about those in Iraqi or Afghan jails?

I'm sure we can accomidate everybody around the world who is a member of AQ or other terrorist groups, or guilty of shooting at Americans. Think of it as a stimulus spending plan.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what happens when it turns out that one of the prisoners is wrongfully imprisoned? Hey, it's not common but it happens. That's the reason for the lengthy appeals process when any American is handed the death penalty. But you'd prefer that we just slaughter all suspected terrorists and international criminals.

Yes I would they are not citizens and do not deserve the same rights as our citizens. Let me spell it out for you , they are the E N E M Y You have been watching too much Judge Judy.

Are they in Gitmo to be imprisoned, or because somebody thinks there is intelligence to be learned?

If the latter, then presumably it does make a difference where and by whom they are detained. If the former, then it seems to me that if we are to treat all terrorists equally then they should all get to stay in a comfy US prison. What about those in Iraqi or Afghan jails?

I'm sure we can accomidate everybody around the world who is a member of AQ or other terrorist groups, or guilty of shooting at Americans. Think of it as a stimulus spending plan.

Both. And it makes a difference in both cases. As I've already explained ad nauseum, and don't feel like repeating.

Attica! Attica! Attica!

Hell you could even put them on the farm.

As long as they don't kill EII then who gives a crap? There are like 250 million people in America. Just let them go and maybe give them a new suit and a few grand. As long as EII is alive and well, nobody should care. They can kill, what maybe a few hundred people? The odds of one of them being EII are really low.

It's called the enemy pu$$y.

Ooh, that's a crushing blow to my delicate psyche. And you'll just have to forgive me for not having much faith in ANY government to decide exactly who the "enemy" is in such a conflict.

You never saw me state I was a conservatative .

I don't need to "see" you "state" anything. You're a friggin' parrot and if you ever had a thought of your own, it likely died a very lonely death.

However you are a Tard.

I'll let you know the very second your insults have an effect.

Ooh, that's a crushing blow to my delicate psyche. And you'll just have to forgive me for not having much faith in ANY government to decide exactly who the "enemy" is in such a conflict.

I don't need to "see" you "state" anything. You're a friggin' parrot and if you ever had a thought of your own, it likely died a very lonely death.

I'll let you know the very second your insults have an effect.

You already did.

Yes I would they are not citizens and do not deserve the same rights as our citizens. Let me spell it out for you , they are the E N E M Y You have been watching too much Judge Judy.

Guess you missed the part of the Declaration of Independence that said "ALL men are created equal". Not just American citizens.

There are a whole bunch of legal issues that have been used to justify the prison. None of them pass sensible muster when measured against history. Terrorism will always be a tool and going against common decency and our own laws is as un-American as any act could be.

You're not going to create fewer terrorists by denying people due process.

It's called the enemy pu$$y. You never saw me state I was a conservatative . However you are a Tard.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA Boomer just called AD a liberal! Now THAT'S rich.

It didn't take you all long to turn on each other.

Guess you missed the part of the Declaration of Independence that said "ALL men are created equal". Not just American citizens.

There are a whole bunch of legal issues that have been used to justify the prison. None of them pass sensible muster when measured against history. Terrorism will always be a tool and going against common decency and our own laws is as un-American as any act could be.

You're not going to create fewer terrorists by denying people due process.

Due process my a$$. Yes every one is created equal but thats where it ends for some . , it ends at creation.

It's a war not a courtroom.

So what happens when it turns out that one of the prisoners is wrongfully imprisoned? Hey, it's not common but it happens. That's the reason for the lengthy appeals process when any American is handed the death penalty. But you'd prefer that we just slaughter all suspected terrorists and international criminals.

Actually, there's a better than average chance that many in Gitmo aren't guilty of anything. In June of this past year the Supreme Court ruled that detainees had the right to habeas corpus hearings. The majority of the hearings so far ended up concluding many of these men have been illegally detained.

Rulings of Improper Detentions as the Bush Era Closes

In the last three months, at least 24 detainees have been declared improperly held by courts or a tribunal — or nearly 10 percent of the population at the detention camp in Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, where about 245 men remain.

(snip)

Since a Supreme Court decision in June gave detainees the right to have their detentions reviewed by federal judges in habeas cases, the government has won only three of them.

Absolutely there are terrorists in Gitmo that should remain behind bars. However, their detention must be legitimized by trying them in a court of law. Close it. Try them and show the world that they are in fact guilty of terrorism. Liberty and justice for all isn't a hard concept to grasp.