Ron Meeks Resigns

7 year coordinator for Dungy in Indy resigned today. Yeah, we hear everybodys coming back, blah blah, but if they were smart they'd fire our Fewell and go after Meeks.

He had some years that were subpar, but hes a good coach. And continuity? The guy runs the Tampa 2! From the guy that started (or had a large part) of the system.

Obviously, we wont. And Fewell hasn't been half bad. But he hasnt been that great either. But it would be a start to placate these fans.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/index

Ron Meeks got to work with better dline talent, and a better secondary in Indy. How would him coming to Buffalo improve anything?

Because Fewell doesnt cut it. Meeks at least has experience at the position and probably a better understanding of the defense we run. I dont think there'd be any drop off.

Meeks is also a very well respected by his players and around the league, and deservedly so. He gets the most of out his players. I dont think you can say the same about Fewell.

I think the tampa 2 is retarded, but if were gonna do it, i think we should at least do it adequately.

Fewell has actually been fairly clever working within the boundary of the Tampa 2. There have been blitzes: Mitchell particularly has fired in a few times, which is how he ended up leading the team in sacks. Scott, Whitner, Wilson, and Youboty have also ended up in the backfield on occasion, a deviation form the normal Tampa 2 pattern.

Meeks is probably the most conservative - the Colts blitzed less than any other team in the league last year. I just checked the numbers: Their defensive line accounted for 100% of their sacks. No sacks from a single linebacker, safety, or cornerback.

I wouldn't mind bringing Meeks in as a consultant on the Tampa 2, but I don't think he'd necessarily make a better DC than Fewell.

No good experienced coach will come to Buffalo because they know that this is a one year deal. After this year, Jauron will be fired along with most of the other assistant coaches. Why take a job that is doomed to lead to not being retained next year.

The only way they fill this position is from within or through some coach looking for a promotion.

7 year coordinator for Dungy in Indy resigned today. Yeah, we hear everybodys coming back, blah blah, but if they were smart they'd fire our Fewell and go after Meeks.

He had some years that were subpar, but hes a good coach. And continuity? The guy runs the Tampa 2! From the guy that started (or had a large part) of the system.

Obviously, we wont. And Fewell hasn't been half bad. But he hasnt been that great either. But it would be a start to placate these fans.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/index

Given the fact that Fewell had absolutely no DEs to work with---I think its hard to pin much blame on him. He did an OK job with the garbage he had to work with.

Fewell has actually been fairly clever working within the boundary of the Tampa 2. There have been blitzes: Mitchell particularly has fired in a few times, which is how he ended up leading the team in sacks. Scott, Whitner, Wilson, and Youboty have also ended up in the backfield on occasion, a deviation form the normal Tampa 2 pattern.

Meeks is probably the most conservative - the Colts blitzed less than any other team in the league last year. I just checked the numbers: Their defensive line accounted for 100% of their sacks. No sacks from a single linebacker, safety, or cornerback.

I wouldn't mind bringing Meeks in as a consultant on the Tampa 2, but I don't think he'd necessarily make a better DC than Fewell.

The whole idea of the Tampa 2 scheme is based on speed and quickness to the ball and the fact that it isn't supposed to require "blitzing",hence the reason why they don't send anyone extra after the QB.

Coverage assignments:

CBs:

The CBs play a short zone in the purple zone as above. They do not follow the receivers if they go too deep or too far to the middle. They stay put in their zones.

Ss:

The safeties cover any WRs that go deep and down field past the zone that is covered by the CBs.

LBs:

The LBs are crucial. They cover the RBs, the TE and anyone else that comes at them. If it is a running play, they go up and make the tackles. If the TE goes out on a pattern, they cover him as long as he is in their zone. Once he goes too deep or too far to the sidelines, they can leave him. Some defenses will chose to cover the TE man with a LB. Find out what your coach wants to do.

Xs:

The defensive line attacks the QB. Each X is responsible for a single gap. There responsibility is to go after the QB and tackle the RBs on run plays. Very simple.

No good experienced coach will come to Buffalo because they know that this is a one year deal. After this year, Jauron will be fired along with most of the other assistant coaches. Why take a job that is doomed to lead to not being retained next year.

The only way they fill this position is from within or through some coach looking for a promotion.

this is absolute nonsense.

on the contrary, anyone taking a job in Buffalo is just about guaranteed a 3 year stay.

Dick was kept because Ralph won't eat the new contract. He won't eat it with 3 years left and he won't eat it with 2 years left.